new to never summer dilema - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default new to never summer dilema

this is my first post here so let me start with a little introduction. my name is matt and i live in northern california. im 28, 6'2" and 275lbs. ive been snowboarding since 1994 and although would never consider myself an expert or "advanced" rider, i definitely feel comfortable saying im on the higher end of intermediate. my main riding style these days is a little more relaxed, i love the trees and look for powder when ever i can get it. my days of living in the park and charging every big kicker in sight are about 50lbs and 10 years behind me , im more into the natural features these days and smaller more forgiving jumps. some days im totally content just spending the whole day dicking around on the groomers. NOW ONTO THE THREAD!
this season ive decided to drink the never summer kool-aid. my current board is a burton custom 162 wide and i cant stand it, its not very responsive compared to a standard width board. i wear an 11.5 boot and always get talked into trying a wide and ive regretted it everytime(its my 3rd attempt at a wide). ive never had toe drag issues, even on the 159 burton seven i rode for 3 seasons. the two boards that are catching my eye right now are the cobra 164 and the sl/legacy. the problem is the lengths. i need something thats going to float me in the pow but doesnt give up too much agility and responsiveness on everything else. the sl model only goes to 161 which seems too small, where as the legacy model i can get the 166 that sounds right but im stuck with another wider board that ive been so disappointed with in the past. with my weight do you guys think the 164 cobra will cut it or am i going to be stuck going with the cobra x or legacy to get me to the 166 i for some reason think i need? thanks in advance
lowfill707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You could always look at other brands to find something that suits your needs better.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Go to EVO.com and look at the NeverSummer board size chart...
MrKrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

To add other brands...

The K2 Ultra Dream comes in a reg 168 and 64.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm in the 190-200 lb range, size 10.5 boots, cobra 161. I could get away with a 158, but powder days would suffer. It's plenty responsive edge to edge, holds a carve line very well, will go as fast as you care to let it. Overhang is about as much as I think it needs to be.

At 275, and with size 11.5 feet, your gonna need to stay on a wide. I haven't ridden a custom, but I can tell you that the cobra has much faster edge to edge than other boards of the same size that I've ridden. I realize that's not much of a reference, but my point is that board shape, rocker design, etc make a big difference in feel.

My opinion is that for what you describe and with your size, you need a 166 cobra x, assuming you want to go never summer.
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
You could always look at other brands to find something that suits your needs better.
i could but that wasnt really the point, ive been really wanting to give NS a shot after hearing so much hype. sorry if i wasnt clear enough in the original post, maybe i should elaborate a little more on what info i was hoping to get. the 2 main things would be: is the 164 going to work for me weight wise, and are the wider offerings from NS as responsive as they advertise or are they just another wide clunky disappointment. thanks for the response though, i really hope that doesnt end up being my only option. and obviously internet info will only go so far without me actually getting to try them out, i just dont have that option
Old 11-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrinkle View Post
Go to EVO.com and look at the NeverSummer board size chart...
i checked out that chart a few days ago, its not as useful as you would think considering the max weight on the bigger boards stop at about 220 which is BS.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post
I'm in the 190-200 lb range, size 10.5 boots, cobra 161. I could get away with a 158, but powder days would suffer. It's plenty responsive edge to edge, holds a carve line very well, will go as fast as you care to let it. Overhang is about as much as I think it needs to be.

At 275, and with size 11.5 feet, your gonna need to stay on a wide. I haven't ridden a custom, but I can tell you that the cobra has much faster edge to edge than other boards of the same size that I've ridden. I realize that's not much of a reference, but my point is that board shape, rocker design, etc make a big difference in feel.

My opinion is that for what you describe and with your size, you need a 166 cobra x, assuming you want to go never summer.
thats actually great input, thank you. one of the main features im so intrigued by is the rocker camber tech they got going on. ive never had a chance to try it out. i know lib tech/gnu has their version, but again, ive really been wanting to give NS a try
Old 11-21-2013, 09:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

hit up NS directly. i emailed them a while back about something not even snowboard related and they were super nice. i'm sure they are busy at this time of year and may take a bit, but i'm sure you'll get a response
stan_darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

also, i have friends who ride the legacy and are super stoked on it, because it's so responsive for them. went riding with a good friend on monday who is def under 200lbs and was riding his legacy effortlessly thru trees and other tight early season shit. it really didn't seem that much wider than my SL. it'll float better too
stan_darsh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cobra, legacy, never summer, wide