Need help choosing a new freedire/big mountain board! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help choosing a new freedire/big mountain board!

Hi! (my first post on this forum by the way!)

I decided to get a new board for this season and I'm still undecided between a few models. I've been riding for around 20 years, on the east coast, and I like riding trees, powder (when I can find some!) and groomers (when I can't find powder/trees). Park riding is really not a priority.

The boards I'm looking at are:

- Jones Flagship
- Rossignol XV
- Burton Landlord (this is a new one in my list, the reviews seem very good for this board)
- Other? Any suggestions?

What I currently ride is a Burton T6, so I like stiff boards.

I never tried a rocker board or a Magne Traction!

Any advice?

Thanks!
MikBou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2013, 10:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

why not snag an XV or a Flagship to try? Either should be a solid choice.

XV has much more aggressive magnetraction.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
TLN

Never summer F1 or Raptor. Prior MFR, Spearhead.
There's nothing better then swallowtail for a big mountain, though
TLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

If you got the coin Jones Hovercraft all the way... but I am a little partial to the look its just pretty...

Last edited by MrKrinkle; 11-22-2013 at 12:44 AM.
MrKrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:09 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrinkle View Post
If you got the coin Jones Hovercraft all the way... but I am a little partial to the look its just pretty...
As a big mountain freeride stick??? Good pow board, but not the thing for the stated purpose...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
As a big mountain freeride stick??? Good pow board, but not the thing for the stated purpose...
Yeah you're right I concur I should of paid closer attention but its getting late and I had west side powder on the brain... that's the Jones I want!
MrKrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Landlord +1

Do you want a pow board for trees and sidecountry riding or a board for big, steep mountain ak lines? Based on your description, it sounds like your looking more for a fun pow board.

Salomon sick stick
Lib Tech Brando/birdman
Rossignol krypto (less aggressive than the xv, still powder focused)
Ride slackcountry
Slash straight
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

No one likes the Yes PYL? i would also add the Gnu Beast
Old 11-22-2013, 02:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Was looking for similar boards over here, you might find other interesting options http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...ide-board.html
I just comment on the boards I or the husband did ride.

I own a Flagship and absolutely love it for steep n deep. It's super stable and responsive. Also a great aggressive board for charging/carving morning groomers. The only draw back is its rather harsh ride in afternoon crud. It's not an all day board. Navigating it through a mogul run can be exhausting. However, in good conditions, it's fun, never ridden a board I felt so confident to ride fast.

I've ridden the NS Raptor as well. Compared to the Flagship it is soft. Its also chatter free, great to carve, and compared to the Flagship it handles crud nicely. More on the all-day side. But I couldn't accustom to the rocker. The wobbly feel while straight lining is not my thing. Others have no problems with that, husband owns that board and bombs runs confidently. However, he thinks of getting a Flagship as well since he also loved its stable locked in ride and wants to make the Raptor his afternoon crud board. So if you consider a NS, check first, if you like how rocker ride.

Don't know the Landlord, but checked it at the shop (where the guys actually know the boards they sell) and was in that turn recommended a Volkl Selecta. Hubby did demo that Selecta and liked it. Comparable nimble smooth ride as the Raptor, so if you don't want to go for a rocker and don't want a plank, the Selecta with its camrock (mini camber) profile could be an option.

Hubby also did demo the Rossi XV. Obviously stable and fast and great in pow. But the insane magtrack is needless for the rather soft snow we usually ride (we don't have icy groomers).

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the replies! There's so many boards to choose from! I will have to do some more research!

I think I'm still leaning towards the flagship, but I want to look at the other options.

Other question: the Flagship and the XV seem to have opposite flex patterns. The flagship has a soft nose and a stiffer tail and the XV has a stiff nose and soft tail... do you have any preference on this?
MikBou is offline   Reply With Quote