First Board: Lib Tech Brando? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First Board: Lib Tech Brando?

Hi all,

I try keep it short:

Alltogether I was 28 days on the snow. Never owned a board. Always borrowed the boards locally or from friends.

But now its time for me to buy my own board.
I think my skill is somewhere between beginner and advanced. I can make all runs - On icy and difficult runs I am little bit slower but I pass them safely.

I love deep powder and riding apart from the slopes.

After some research I think the Brando would be a great board for my goals and would be also a board that I can ride the next few years.

But Im a little bit unsure because it is marketed as a "Pro Board".
Is is more difficult to ride "Pro Board" than a so called "beginner board"?

Thank for help and greetz from germany!
buii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The brando is a pow board and not suited for you, or to everyday riding, unless you have a helicoptor, or personal cat. You should tell us how much you weigh, your foot size, the type of riding you loke to do and typical conditions.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'll probably get heat for this, but whatever.. My first board was the Lib Tech TRice Pro HP 157 (180lb 5'11'')

I would assume that it is a pro board because these are top quality boards that you can DESTROY any terrain that can be thrown at it- things way above your or my level. But, at the same time having something with such power can also be used lightly and less dangerous purposes then seen here (at 34:30, that is the exact board that I have)

I couldn't be happier with this board, it basically rides for me. I wasn't the best rider when I bought it, probably only 10-15 days on the powder, but this board has in a sense helped teach me how to board better, I know that sounds weird, but it helps so much with the magnatraction and its other features that I couldn't even explain- it basically carries my weight if I make a mistake. I can honestly say it has saved my ass more then a few times!

LIB TECH OR DIE.
DIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

It's a pro board or "pro model" because it was designed with input from a pro rider, which really doesn't mean anything.

Brando by Lando right?

Go with a TRS or something.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Landvik Phoenix board would be a much better everyday than the brando if you want a similar board.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
It's a pro board or "pro model" because it was designed with input from a pro rider, which really doesn't mean anything.

Brando by Lando right?

Go with a TRS or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
The Landvik Phoenix board would be a much better everyday than the brando if you want a similar board.
+1 on what these guys said.

Also the comparison to the T. Rice does not really make sense. While the T. Rice is also a 'pro model', it is a much more mainstream in terms of board design and intended purpose (all mountain/big mountain twin) as opposed to the more specialized Brando (tapered pow slayer).
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the Landvik phoenix has 1 inch of setback and C2 camber, makes it pretty floaty.

All that being said, i've never ridden it but the brando should still ride alright in any conditions as long as you don't really want to ride switch a lot.

other good pow boards that aren't tapered from mervin would be the La nina and Gnu Beast.

The la nina is weird to ride switch but is great fun regular, just sit in the back seat and let the tail do all the gripping down any run.

Never ridden the beast but it should ride great all around too with the C3 camber.

The Phoenix and the la nina would be best day to day especially if you see a lot of fresh snow.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the answers!

The Landvik and La Nina look good! I think they would be the better option for me because I even when I love to ride deep powder, there will not be always the possibility to do so.

My biggest concern was that these "pro" board are to difficult for a bigginner-to-advanced guy to ride. Especially when the board has a little bit focus on powder.
buii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

I own a Lando and a Lib Tech Snow Mullet (which is what they based the Brando off of). The Lando is a more of a 'everyday driver' and works well in pow too. The Brando is a Powder stick but can be ridden on hardpack/groomed fairly easy (if you know what you're doing). Both are pure bananas; meaning they float well but can get a little (to a lot) squirlly on hard snow or if your going one footy. My Lando is a 157 Wide which is quite a bit shorter then other boards I usually ride but it floats well and handles speed good.
rambob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambob View Post
I own a Lando and a Lib Tech Snow Mullet (which is what they based the Brando off of). The Lando is a more of a 'everyday driver' and works well in pow too. The Brando is a Powder stick but can be ridden on hardpack/groomed fairly easy (if you know what you're doing). Both are pure bananas; meaning they float well but can get a little (to a lot) squirlly on hard snow or if your going one footy. My Lando is a 157 Wide which is quite a bit shorter then other boards I usually ride but it floats well and handles speed good.
A couple of clarification/corrections:
  • While there is a Brando (more accurately Brando by Lando), there is actually no Lando deck from Lib. The Mark Landvik Phoenix Series is often called the Lando, so it is ok to use that term - but it might be confusing to a newbie.
  • Neither the Brando nor the Landvik Phoenix/Lando are pure banana. In fact, both have hybrid Camber-rocker-camber profiles. However, the (discontinued) Mullet was indeed full banana/rocker.

Last edited by hktrdr; 11-25-2013 at 03:33 AM.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote