Jones Aviator - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Jones Aviator

Anyone tried one of these? Camber profile looks interesting assuming they have worked out their quality control problems.

Jones Snowboards - The journey is the reward - Aviator
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty100 View Post
Anyone tried one of these? Camber profile looks interesting assuming they have worked out their quality control problems.

Jones Snowboards - The journey is the reward - Aviator
I have one sitting on my floor right now.

Quality appears to be fine.

I'll be riding it sunday / monday / tuesday so i'll report back after I get a few days on snow.
In Vermont authenticity is all, they do not try to keep it real, they are real.

Last edited by binarypie; 11-23-2013 at 03:48 PM.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Rooster King

morrow spoon redux?
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #4 (permalink)

Board looks rad. Simple. Clean. And with a purpose. Would love to get a directional board like this in my quiver
tradnwaves4snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredLife View Post
morrow spoon redux?
It actually looks almost identical in shape to my flagship carbon but much softer. The bevel at the contact points to give it that catch-free thing isn't really that noticeable just by looking at it on the floor. We'll see how it rides.

Personally I'm stoked to be able to ride it.

Here is a camber profile shot

Here is a sidecut shot

Here is a base shot I tried to get vertical. You can kind of see how interesting the shape is.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Nice yoga mat. Haha.

I am really contemplating the 160W. Love the sleek simple top sheet and base. Let me know how it rides, looking forward to a review. It is between this and the Slayblade.

Is this like Ride's LowRize though? Camber board with rocker tips so newbs don't catch edges? Is it geared toward all mountain, powder, park? What kind of riding do you do? I like to bomb east coast groomers, I see a little bit of powder and trees and I stay out of the park for the most part... @ 6'-4", 200 lbs, falling hurts.

Last edited by LightninSVT; 11-23-2013 at 06:14 PM.
LightninSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightninSVT View Post
Nice yoga mat. Haha.

I am really contemplating the 160W. Love the sleek simple top sheet and base. Let me know how it rides, looking forward to a review. It is between this and the Slayblade.

Is this like Ride's LowRize though? Camber board with rocker tips so newbs don't catch edges? Is it geared toward all mountain, powder, park? What kind of riding do you do? I like to bomb east coast groomers, I see a little bit of powder and trees and I stay out of the park for the most part... @ 6'-4", 200 lbs, falling hurts.
Haha.. yeah that is my wife's yoga man. (honestly)

It is a 152 as I decided to try the short boards all the kids think are rad these days.

I think this about as close to the loose feeling that rocker/camber/rocker gives you without actually being full camber. I'd describe this almost all camber with very little rocker in the nose/tail to prevent hang ups.

I wouldn't call this a newb board as it is rather stiff in comparison to what you might see in that spectrum. I think this board is geared towards those of us who grew up riding camber.

I think I'd compare more to the camber custom-x in terms of target market. All-Mountain freestyle.

Once I ride it I'll be able to give you all some direct comparisons against every board I've ridden.

** EDIT **

As far as what type of riding I do. I am more into freeriding. If I'm in the park it is only because I want to hit the jump line. I've been riding for 18 years. I would call myself an expert snowboarder as I can ride switch as well as I can regular. However, my freestyle skill level is intermediate at best. I can do 180s, 360s (front and back, and both switch). All the fun grabs, and I'm not afraid of the large park features.

Last edited by binarypie; 11-23-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was just bustin your stones about the yoga mat, my wife has them laying everywhere around here..that's how I knew exactly what it was.

Have fun on that thing. I've been riding nothing but stiff, wide, cambered boards for about 13 years so I'm looking for something similar. The RC profile is not for me. I was just wondering if the Jones profile would wash out on hard pack and icy groomers that I unfortunately have to ride around here most of the time. I also want the board to be very stable when flat basing and hauling balls down the mountain.
LightninSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
I have one sitting on my floor right now.

Quality appears to be fine.

I'll be riding it sunday / monday / tuesday so i'll report back after I get a few days on snow.
Looking forward to the review - kirkwood get snow with that storm last week?
Old 11-23-2013, 09:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LightninSVT View Post
Nice yoga mat. Haha.

To me, Jones boards always look great...just put off somewhat by the problems they had with quality control last couple of years. Hoping their change of suppliers this year has worked.

I think the aviator slots into the line up between the mountain twin and the flagship...so probably med-stiff flex. I think the slayblade would be stiffer although haven't seen the new 2014 lifted profile version yet. Looks good too though.