Freeride Deck for Icy groomers and moguls - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2013, 06:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Freeride Deck for Icy groomers and moguls

This year I've decided to move from a single quiver-killer to two decks for different conditions. I have a pow deck lined up for days with fresh snow but I'm looking for a deck that can handle icy runs and moguls when the mountain is tracked out. I am trying to move toward stiffer and damper decks this year to break 50 mph cutting lines through icy groomers with crud on them with small pow stashes on the side.

I'm right around 155 lbs and 6 feet tall. I've been riding a 159 cm for buttering and carving which seems to be a bit long for my weight but I'm plenty comfortable on it. My pow deck this year is a 161, which is probably going to leave me bow-legged for more a few days this year, but that's alright.

I am looking very fondly at the Ride Machete GT and the Slayblade based on marketing but people seem to think these are too stiff for most, reviews are pretty lackluster/aged and I having a tough time navigating anything comparable to these two decks, I'm pretty lost. On a side note I'm not particularly interested in other powder decks or park decks, I already have a floaty deck and I never hit the park on my own accord. Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
Eat Sleep Shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 07:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

You don't mention where you ride. Any chance you can demo? I would steer you towards something like a Rossi One Magtek or perhaps a YES PYL.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:48 PM   #3 (permalink)

I didn't bother mentioning where I live because I'm looking to move, the general gist is that I'm from AK but I'm stuck in Ohio for now. I can definitely demo some stuff but we usually don't see any big mountain decks around here, all the local joints are park oriented with a handful of advanced groomers but certainly no 50 mph runs and no pow.

I like the PYL's design for a quiver killer but not for a dedicated carver. I don't want directional shape, I like to spin a lot on moguls and this deck isn't for pow so a twin shape is preferred. The Rossi One is a very attractive deck but I'm not sure the magnetraction edges are worth it for me, our groomers are crispy, but not solid sheets of ice.

Thanks for the post though.

Last edited by Eat Sleep Shred; 11-23-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

lib-tech Banana magic and hot knife are great for carving up icy slopes.

The magic is my go to for when everything gets tracked out and scraped off. The hot knife should be similar with more camber.

Last edited by Riley212; 11-23-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Sleep Shred View Post
This year I've decided to move from a single quiver-killer to two decks for different conditions. I have a pow deck lined up for days with fresh snow but I'm looking for a deck that can handle icy runs and moguls when the mountain is tracked out. I am trying to move toward stiffer and damper decks this year to break 50 mph cutting lines through icy groomers with crud on them with small pow stashes on the side.

I'm right around 155 lbs and 6 feet tall. I've been riding a 159 cm for buttering and carving which seems to be a bit long for my weight but I'm plenty comfortable on it. My pow deck this year is a 161, which is probably going to leave me bow-legged for more a few days this year, but that's alright.

I am looking very fondly at the Ride Machete GT and the Slayblade based on marketing but people seem to think these are too stiff for most, reviews are pretty lackluster/aged and I having a tough time navigating anything comparable to these two decks, I'm pretty lost. On a side note I'm not particularly interested in other powder decks or park decks, I already have a floaty deck and I never hit the park on my own accord. Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
Be aware the slayblade has a completely different camber profile this year, K2's new "lifted" profile...check the reviews are for this version. Early intel was that it was pretty good...

Other than that, when you say stiff and damp Never Summer springs to mind if you don't mind rocker between the bindings...heritage maybe? Or smokin's superpark...
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

For ice you want magna traction hands down. I've not a mervin fan boy but can honestly tell you nothing compares. Lib/GNU/Smokin/Rossi are all great choices.

For moguls...... we'll you either get a stiff deck that can plow over them but you'll have a hell of a time getting that board back under control once it picks up speed. A softer board you'll feel the moguls more but is WAY MORE forgiving.
goride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Burton custom X with nice sharp edges.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Lib Hot Knife - C3 camber, twin, poppy, fairly damp, medium flex

Love riding moguls with this board
LuckyRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've looked around and right now leaning away from decks with rocker in the tips. I like to have my contact points in the snow one way or another. I'm not going to need extra lift in pow so cambered tips all the way.

I learned on a flat base deck so I'm partial to the Slayblade and Thrash Superpark because of the the profiles.

I'm trying to decide is camber/rocker/camber is right for me versus camber/flat/camber, I've heard the rocker makes the deck squirrely when cruising but makes buttering easier. Does this sound about right? As far as magnetraction goes, I don't view it as essential and I'm not going to go out of my way to get it. But if I find a profile I like with magnetraction I will lean toward it.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Sleep Shred View Post
I've looked around and right now leaning away from decks with rocker in the tips. I like to have my contact points in the snow one way or another. I'm not going to need extra lift in pow so cambered tips all the way.

I learned on a flat base deck so I'm partial to the Slayblade and Thrash Superpark because of the the profiles.

I'm trying to decide is camber/rocker/camber is right for me versus camber/flat/camber, I've heard the rocker makes the deck squirrely when cruising but makes buttering easier. Does this sound about right? As far as magnetraction goes, I don't view it as essential and I'm not going to go out of my way to get it. But if I find a profile I like with magnetraction I will lean toward it.
Have you looked into Arbor snowboards with Grip Tech? They are virtually impossible to wash out even on hard packed icy end of the day funnel runs. If your hell bent on going back to camber the Relapse is the board that will do the trick. However you may want to look into the Coda. It was one of the best boards we tested last year, great in all conditions and held an edge better then any other snowboard we tested.

Arbor

The Slayblade is fun, flat underfoot is a great feeling however I didn't care for it in the pow. Rocker does make the board feel more playful, camber holds better edges. A mic of both is what most people use these days.
mhphoto is offline   Reply With Quote