Another board length thread - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another board length thread

Hey all. I keep getting different answers about this, so I figured I'd ask here.

I'm pretty new to snowboarding, and am slowing finding my way into the community more and more. I've been wanting to join a snowboarding forum for a while now. I figure now is as good a time as any, since I have a question. I am buying a new board.

My buddy is moving out of town, and is selling his board for very VERY cheap, but I get the feeling it's too big for me... As in WAAAAY too big.

I'm a pretty small guy, 5'10'' and about 140-145 pounds.

The board in question is a freestyle, 160cm long board. My gut tells me it's far too big, but a few other I know said it should be alright (I don't exactly 100% trust their judgement though, as they themselves admit they are very amateur boarders).

What do you guys think?
AKDyadyaVasya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 07:13 AM   #2 (permalink)

Too big, way too big for your weight.
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply.

I figured as much. From doing a bunch of research, I narrowed down a good board length for me as being between 149-152 cm. Does that sound about right?
AKDyadyaVasya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
Sorry, as a blanket statement that is to strong. It really depends on the type of board, the intended riding, and the anticipated conditions.
The OP is in Japan and depending on where he rides there and on his riding style, 160 might be perfectly appropriate. At 150-155 lbs, I have several 160+ boards for mellow gradient and fluffy pow in Hokkaido.
Yes, 160 is probably on the long side for the OP, but it is not necessarily "way too big" at all.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi AK,

It is a mistake to look for "your board size". No rider has a single tip to tip length that will be correct in every board (i.e. 154 or 160). The correct length will vary (greatly) by the specific model that you are considering.

Rider height (5'10") is also not a factor. Only your weight (140 lbs) and foot size (???) will determine the correct size in any given model.

Sooooo, what is your foot size?

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

If its a Gentem Stick buy it ASAP Best boards in the world and handmade in Japan. But let us know what the board is. If your just learning the 160 may be a little big for your height. If your looking to ride powder all the time it may be perfect. I don't agree with the above about rider height has no factor on board length. I have never had a board come to above my nose, not even my splitboard or boards for heli skiing in Haines.
mhphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

From our fit tips:

Where your nose is, does not determine what size of snowboard you should ride!

...or your chin, ears, shoulders or any other body part for that matter. These are the silliest rules for sizing boards that could possibly be imagined, and yet they persist. We hear new ones everyday, "my friend told me that a board should come to in between my chin and my nose." Why, are you planning to nibble on it? Buying based on these generalities is good way to end up with a completely inappropriate board. Why do such rules exist? It is due to the fact that finding the right board takes a bit of research and knowledge. The easy way, however incorrect, is much quicker. A snowboard reacts to only two factors, how much pressure is being applied to it (rider weight), and where that pressure is coming from (foot size and position). Boards are designed around riders of a certain weight range. The total weight range for a given board will be around 50 pounds (although manufacturers tend to exaggerate this range to make their products sellable to a wider variety of customers). Two men who stand six feet tall and whose noses are at identical heights, may be separated by 100 pounds of weight. This would change the boards that they should ride by two entire categories of stiffness and running length. You will also want to make sure that the board is appropriate for your foot size. Up to 1 centimeter of barefoot overhang for both the toe and heel sides (yes, overhang) off the edge of your board is ideal (when measured at the stance width and angle that you will ride).
Old 11-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
From our fit tips:

You will also want to make sure that the board is appropriate for your foot size. Up to 1 centimeter of barefoot overhang for both the toe and heel sides (yes, overhang) off the edge of your board is ideal (when measured at the stance width and angle that you will ride).
Not to hijack this thread, but... is this true for women as well? I have a size 5.5 foot (in snowboard boots, more like 6.5 in street shoes) and for my foot to hang off the edges I would have to attach my bindings to a ski!
omkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkitty View Post
Not to hijack this thread, but... is this true for women as well? I have a size 5.5 foot (in snowboard boots, more like 6.5 in street shoes) and for my foot to hang off the edges I would have to attach my bindings to a ski!
Hah! Yes, this is true for everyone...but we don't always get what we want

There are a lot of threads here from guys with sie 6, 7 and 8 that ride female specific boards to get the correct width. Women with really small feet have the same issue, but unfortunately have nowhere to go. For the mostpart they make due with boards that are less then ideal. The problem is worst when a small foot and a heavier rider weight are combined.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Sorry, as a blanket statement that is to strong. It really depends on the type of board, the intended riding, and the anticipated conditions.
The OP is in Japan and depending on where he rides there and on his riding style, 160 might be perfectly appropriate. At 150-155 lbs, I have several 160+ boards for mellow gradient and fluffy pow in Hokkaido.
Yes, 160 is probably on the long side for the OP, but it is not necessarily "way too big" at all.
My bad, I misread his post. I read freestyle and thought he was looking for something more park related and to butter/mess around. If he's in Japan and wants to board in powder then you're correct.
OU812 is offline   Reply With Quote