GNU Carbon Credit - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default GNU Carbon Credit

Hi everyone, I am very interested in getting a new board. I am in between beginner and intermediate. What I want is a fantastic all around board. What I'm looking for is a very forgiving board. I want it to be absolutely catch free. I want a very surfy and playful feel at low speeds but a board that holds an edge very well and stability is EXTREMELY important to me at high speeds. I need ALL of this before I drop $400 on a board.

I also want this board to grow with me. I want to be able to learn on it now and I want to be able to ride it 5 years if I want to. I want my board to have pop but be soft and loose for jibbing as well.

Basically, I want a go everywhere do everything board that excels in stability, edge hold, easiness of riding, & COMPLETELY catch free while still being able to grow with me as I progress.

I also have a few questions.

1) I'm 6'0 200 lbs. I will still grow probably an inch or two but my weight will probably only grow by about 10 lbs if that since I am slightly overweight. Will this board work well for my height and weight in a 159 wide?

2) Is this board a rocker between the feet and flat/mild camber tip and tail like the skate banana? Does the profile of this board work well in all conditions and in all aspects?

3) If not this board, what board would you recommend for ~$400?

4) Is this board durable?

So overall, is this board a good board for me? Do you think it meats all the aspects of a board I have stated? Any advice or comments you guys may have?

Thanks and sorry for the really long and winded post
Snowboarder101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'll chime in here since I'm near your size (6'3" 210~) and own one.

It's most of what you're looking for, but hard charger it is not. The fastest I ever had mine was around 60 something km/h. Little bit chattery at those speeds, even though it's barely softer than my other boards. I'm a better rider now and could maybe handle it better at those speeds, but wouldn't want to since I have better boards for that anyway.

The profile is the same as the Skate Banana as far as I know. It's a decent all around board that you can park with that won't be just a jib noodle but it'll still have compromises. These things can be had on deals sometime for under $200. People on this forum copped some for around (some as low as like $170 I think) that a couple weeks back. If you want a really rad board it's usually gonna cost you... but almost everything can be had on a deal (good or great) sooner or later!
destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy View Post

It's most of what you're looking for, but hard charger it is not. The fastest I ever had mine was around 60 something km/h. Little bit chattery at those speeds, even though it's barely softer than my other boards. I'm a better rider now and could maybe handle it better at those speeds, but wouldn't want to since I have better boards for that anyway.

The profile is the same as the Skate Banana as far as I know. It's a decent all around board that you can park with that won't be just a jib noodle but it'll still have compromises. These things can be had on deals sometime for under $200. People on this forum copped some for around (some as low as like $170 I think) that a couple weeks back. If you want a really rad board it's usually gonna cost you... but almost everything can be had on a deal (good or great) sooner or later!
I picked one up for $157 from a PSA that was posted on here for sportchalet.com. That is so cheap, I had to try one.
West Baden Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply, it actually helped a lot. I you don't mind me asking, what size do you ride?

I also have an old burton board. It has a hard, matte green top sheet with some orange fish at the tail. The base is also green (lighter than the top sheet) with darker green writing that says burton. It is extremely stiff and it is camber. I believe it's from before the logo was changed. If anyone knows what this board is, please tell me. I could use this board for riding pow and charging.

I don't really like just going full speed to the bottom, I like carving around and buttering and ollieing around. Is this board good for that on the trails?
Old 11-26-2013, 10:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Baden Iron View Post
I picked one up for $157 from a PSA that was posted on here for sportchalet.com. That is so cheap, I had to try one.
And what do you think of it (assuming that you've tried it out already)
Old 11-26-2013, 10:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Can't have it all (usually)

Seems like you have conflicting needs here. Typically loose, "absolutely catch free" boards are not going to also be super stable at high speeds.

Skate banana does indeed share the BTX profile with the CC. They are basically center reverse camber dominant and will be looser, catch free freestyle oriented boards. If its more important to you to have a playful catch free ride stick with this profile.

If you want something more well rounded in the mervin realm go with a board that has C2BTX (Gnu Riders Choice, Lib TRS etc. ). The Riders Choice in particular is a great midflexing do it all board. It's more locked in and will be more stable at speeds and cutting through chop. Probably a bit more snap out of the C2BTX. More contact points to catch but nothing like traditional camber in that regard.
Fergatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroy View Post

what this guy said...

i have one also and i would not choose it if you want to charge or rail hard turns, especially if you ride in harder conditions. maybe it's my riding ability or technique, but i find that the tail washes out on me sometimes and when flat-basing on harder snow, the board wants to rotate around it's center due to the rocker between bindings.

having said that, it's a fun, forgiving and easy to ride board
ju87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder101 View Post
I don't really like just going full speed to the bottom, I like carving around and buttering and ollieing around. Is this board good for that on the trails?
Sounds like you're getting around to deciding the BTX is in tune with your riding style. These boards were made for that type of riding. Lots of other options too.
Fergatron2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowboarder101 View Post
And what do you think of it (assuming that you've tried it out already)
I haven't tried it out yet. I've got a couple more weeks before my home resort opens.
West Baden Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:22 PM   #10 (permalink)

Alright thanks guys for all of the replies. Since I already have a camber board as said before (even though it's really old) I think I would enjoy the box profile. My local resort has mostly man made snow and sometimes powder. Will this board work well in man made snow? It's usually fixed every day to get rid of the majority of the ice build up