Beginner/Intermediate freeride board for someone ready for confidence on blacks - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 02:57 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner/Intermediate freeride board for someone ready for confidence on blacks

About me:
40 y/o from Cali, riding for 6 seasons (about 4-8 times/season), confident on blues and somewhat confident on easy blacks. Low confidence on ice. Have crappy old hand-me-down board, ready to upgrade to state of the art.
I'm 6'1, 180lbs, size 11 boot. I ride mostly in the resort so either groomed or pow depending on weather. No backcountry/between trees yet.

I'm looking for a board that will give me more confidence on the blacks. I'm not looking to go faster; just want to know I can turn whenever and can stop whenever I want to. I'm also not looking to do tricks (yet), so if I do get to jumping it's gonna be small'ish.

A friend recommended Jones The Flagship. The board gets great reviews and looks hi-tech. Two things that concern me:
* At my recommended size (163) they only have Wide. Would that make me work harder to turn?
* It appears to be a stiff board (8 out of 10). I read that beginners want softer boards because easier to control. I'm not a beginner, but definitely want control.

What do you think? If not flagship - what would work for me?
Thanks!!!
amirh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 04:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Flagship is for riding powder and bombing down runs at high speed as far as i know. Flex is rated 8, pretty stiff

2014 Jones Flagship Snowboard - Review - The-House.com - YouTube

I'd suggest looking at the Jones Mountain Twin instead.
More all mountain, flex rating of 6.5, more freeride - freestyle aka playfull

2014 Jones Mountain Twin Snowboard - Review - The-House.com - YouTube

Both have a rocker, camber,rocker profile.
cozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 06:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Uhm... ur sure this guy is your friend?

Don't consider the Flagship. Besides pow, it's made for charging good groomers, specially point it down straight and wide carves. But it's a plank that won't absorb uneven terrain. This means that you have to work a lot with your knees; you'll never just cruise. So if speed is not (yet) your thing, you won't use it for where it shines and only would have to handle with its disadvantages. I know the board well and absolutely love it for its stability but in the afternoons when groomers are chewed up, I'm happy to change to a different board

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I agree with what has been previously stated about the flagship

Boards to check out (they all have good float in powder as well as being good on groomed runs. all snowboards suck balls on ice, some just suck less than others)

Arbor Coda- Basically easymode snowboarding, all rocker profile is easy to turn, griptech actually works pretty good for ice.

Neversummer SL- similar to the coda but with some camber under your feet, less pop but more damp, vario grip sidecut kinda works on ice.

Salomon Time machine- just a really fun all around board, easy to ride in any conditions, lots of good tech for not a lot of money, quadratic sidecut is great but does't add anything for ice like vario or grip tech. Lots of pop from mostly camber, camber profile will be most like riding your old board out of all these

Rossignol One Magtek- confidence inspiring board, especially when runs get rough, rocker-camber-rocker profile is more stable when going slow or flatbasing, magnetraction sidecut is about as good as it gets for ice.

Last edited by Riley212; 11-27-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Riley212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

How much ice do you see, and how much do you really hate ice?

If that's your number one priority then you'd want a cambered board or something with a magnetraction type edge.

Pretty much everybody doesn't like ice but it's a question if you want to make it the primary driver of your board choice. In the east the conditions can be icy enough often enough to justify that, not sure about where you ride.

Secondly how much pow do you really get to ride on - if you average 6 days a year are most of those powder days or just one?

Finally in terms of recommendations from the burton line I'd say if your number one priority is dealing with ice go with either the cambered version of burton custom or burton process. custom is a good all around board.

If you're less concerned about ice get the flying V version of the boards above, the reverse camber part of the camber rocker profile will be more fun in soft snow/powder.

If you get lots of powder (in which case I'd think ice isn't much of a concern) then consider burton Sherlock.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Thanks! Clearer priorities

Thanks for the replies! I think one thing's clear, the Flagship isn't for me. You guys nailed it - I'm not looking to charge down straightlining, I like to arc my way down but want that extra confidence when things get steeper or conditions a little worse.

Regarding ice, I'd say not top priority but things do get icy on the groomed in the early afternoon that's why I was mentioning it. I actually feel okay in pow anyway because I have a tenancy to lean backwards too much (that gets me in trouble on the steeps).

It seems a choice between the Mountain Twin, Rossignol One Magtek, and potentially Burton Custom (although the latter is quite a bit more expensive). Given the above, if anyone can point to a preference between these boards I'd appreciate it!
amirh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

eBay is loaded with nearly new burton customs or last years version at good discounts. If buy with that strategy rather than brand new 2014 model.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:45 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley212 View Post
I agree with what has been previously stated about the flagship

Boards to check out (they all have good float in powder as well as being good on groomed runs. all snowboards suck balls on ice, some just suck less than others)

Arbor Coda- Basically easymode snowboarding, all rocker profile is easy to turn, griptech actually works pretty good for ice.

Neversummer SL- similar to the coda but with some camber under your feet, less pop but more damp, vario grip sidecut kinda works on ice.

Salomon Time machine- just a really fun all around board, easy to ride in any conditions, lots of good tech for not a lot of money, quadratic sidecut is great but does't add anything for ice like vario or grip tech. Lots of pop from mostly camber, camber profile will be most like riding your old board out of all these

Rossignol One Magtek- confidence inspiring board, especially when runs get rough, rocker-camber-rocker profile is more stable when going slow or flatbasing, magnetraction sidecut is about as good as it gets for ice.
I've got my eye set on the Time Machine. how does it handle speed? If you've ridden an SL/Cobra a comparison to that is fine (those boards are fast enough for me).
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirh1 View Post
I think one thing's clear, the Flagship isn't for me. You guys n gals nailed it
li'll correction

BTW: From your statements I get that you get easily unsettled when you don't feel "in control". I can feel with you; I get easily scared if I have the feeling that I can't trust the board. Rocker profiles seem to be popular these days, but I think even if they are easier to turn and less catchy, they compromize too much on stability. As others mentioned, I'd say look for camber hybrid or flat hybrids - whichever board you get.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

I ride a Custom X which has served me wonderfully on powder, hard packed and icy condition. The latter be the most important as over here in the east we normally have more of that.
I about the same weight as you and was riding a 156 but just moved to a 158.
Soul06 is offline   Reply With Quote