NS Proto HD 157, Should I return? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS Proto HD 157, Should I return?

hey tried asking this on proto hd review thread but guess it got buried there

I picked this up last week, and I actually can return to get HD X it in a week!!

riding with salomon 11.5 boots and flow trilogy XL bindings, what do you think? toe drag issue... this is pretty much my stance

i rode it once and didn't notice anything, in or out park, carving etc... what do you think

Last edited by vknyvz; 11-27-2013 at 10:24 AM.
vknyvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

Yea you want the wide.

You can send me that one.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

lol sure 549 please
Old 11-27-2013, 10:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'm not convinced that necessitates a wide. It's close, but depending on the OPs riding style, not completely necessary.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
I'm not convinced that necessitates a wide. It's close, but depending on the OPs riding style, not completely necessary.
man sure?, pretty much i just checked my receipt again i can by s'day, oh god it's a lot of money you know, i mean i rode it last week and I was convinced that it was fine, didn't have any dragging, but how about during pow days carving....I always ride with a duck stance, to do switching...
i did 44.1 mph without trying on this btw (according to alpine replay)

Last edited by vknyvz; 11-27-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:08 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You are riding on the east coast. I ride here and wouldn't worry about that much overhang. I have a 157 Proto and don't have any issues at all with size 11s. Unless you plan on doing some alpine carving turns on that thing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I actually sold my wide Proto CTX to get the regular width CT... and am immensely happy I did that. Edge to edge transition is SOOOOO much better.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:13 AM   #7 (permalink)
cmo

tilt the board up on its edge until the toes hit the carpet. It probably takes alot more of an angle then you think. My setup has some over hang (looks like it maybe less than yours) but for mine to come close to dragging on edge I'm probably eating snow in a second anyway.

I have a 154 proto and 11s fwiw.

Last edited by cmo; 11-27-2013 at 11:16 AM.
cmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
You are riding on the east coast. I ride here and wouldn't worry about that much overhang. I have a 157 Proto and don't have any issues at all with size 11s. Unless you plan on doing some alpine carving turns on that thing, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I actually sold my wide Proto CTX to get the regular width CT... and am immensely happy I did that. Edge to edge transition is SOOOOO much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo View Post
tilt the board up on its edge until the toes hit the carpet. It probably takes alot more of an angle then you think. My setup has some over hang (looks like it maybe less than yours) but for mine to come close to dragging on edge I'm probably eating snow in a second anyway.

I have a 154 proto and 11s fwiw.

yea i guess not like we receive lot of powder anywho, i will be in Colorado this december though but can't justify just cause riding there for a week not gonna get a board for it. ok guess i will stick with this
Old 11-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

FWIW, I have about that much overhang on my 166w and no real problems to speak of. But I don't carve like those crazy Russians do either. Also, we don't get much powder-type snow here in Michigan.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Remember the drag starts with your worst foot, looking at your left foot their (assuming your goofy) as angle looks less than the right, the left foot toe overhang is pretty large. Also doesn't need to be pow, but also soft spring snow has the same effect, which I'm not sure how long you get on the east coast? but before I knew enough and moved to wide boards about 12 years ago, I had terrible toe grab in spring slush, which made for a crappy time riding.

Certainly the comments above are correct, in that you won't feel any problems without some fairly serious lean on groomers, but I just wanted to point out the above scenarios where foot overhang does come into play, it does get annoying.
Personally now I have been on wide boards for over 12 years, I don't find any disadvantage at all,if anything I prefer the stability, theres never been an occasion where I needed faster edge to edge.
I guess what I'm saying is, I think you should consider the negatives of both scenarios, basing the decision on your own previous experience. ie. If its narrower than you're used to, with more toe overhang, with the amount your showing, I think there will be days where it will come into play vs HDX where you will not have an issue. But if you have never had a wide board and you like making smaller snake turns, then you will find it a little mellower in turn transition.
NZRide is offline   Reply With Quote