NS PROTO (another thread, sorry, sorry) 0.5 degree bevel, tuning detuning - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2013, 07:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS PROTO (another thread, sorry, sorry) 0.5 degree bevel, tuning detuning

Setting up my proto and preparing to start tuning my own boards. I have always waxed them myself but just neglected the edges all season really.

So I hear there is now a 0.5 bevel on the NS proto hd's released recently, when I go to sharpen the edges/tune the board, what do I set the file guide to?? My mates two tools either do 88, 89, 90 or I think the other does 85-90. Don't think either goes in halves. Is 0.5 an 89.5 degree?

Sorry, as in my name I am a complete noob with tuning.

Oh and worth detuning up to the contact points (after the rocker). Only ever ridden straight out the packet before.

Please save me from doing anything horrible to my beautiful new board. Thanks guys!!
SAVETHISNOOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Why would you want to detune the Proto? Just hot wax and shred!
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery2many View Post
Why would you want to detune the Proto? Just hot wax and shred!
Already undergone the pregame waxing... All set.
A lot of mates and forum users advised detuning tips/tails for butters/presses.

How do you sharpen your proto? Or how often?

Thunkyoumuchly
Old 11-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Dude. Do not even touch the edges! I used to detune my full cambered board so that it wasn't so catchy but with the profile on the proto it isn't catchy at all and butters nicely. I would only detune a park board or street jib board for hitting rails or if you are hitting insane jumps with crazy spins. But detuning the proto will take away some of what makes is so nice.

I rarely sharpen my edges. Dependes how bad I beat them up.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Are you prone to catching edges? Detuning from contact point to the tip and tail respectively will help, and you won't lost anything significant in the process. Don't need anything special, just a file to take all edge off from that point outward.

If your talking about tuning the edge on the rest of the board, NS has historically used 90 on all boards. I have had edge grinds done on a couple of different ns boards, from 90 to 89, because that's what the shops machine was set at. Really didn't notice any difference. Theoretically it should make the board less prone to edge catches going with lower angles. My understanding is that it doesn't take much to make or break how a board carves. If you want to change it, I wouldn't go more than 1 degree at a time.

Also, ride it like it is first. You will likely find it's just peachy as is.

Btw, most shops can do an edge grind in about a minute, charge $10, and it will probably be more accurate than a hand held tool. I'd rather spend the $10 than spend the 2 hours hand grinding...
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery2many View Post
Dude.

I rarely sharpen my edges. Dependes how bad I beat them up.
How many days/weeks between? That's good... I like to avoid messing about too much and more concentrating on riding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post
Are you prone to catching edges?
If your talking about tuning the edge on the rest of the board, NS has historically used 90 on all boards. I have had edge grinds done on a couple of different ns boards, from 90 to 89, because that's what the shops machine was set at. Really didn't notice any difference. Theoretically it should make the board less prone to edge catches going with lower angles. My understanding is that it doesn't take much to make or break how a board carves. If you want to change it, I wouldn't go more than 1 degree at a time.

Also, ride it like it is first. You will likely find it's just peachy as is.

Btw, most shops can do an edge grind in about a minute, charge $10, and it will probably be more accurate than a hand held tool. I'd rather spend the $10 than spend the 2 hours hand grinding...
Catch the odd edge but not a major problem... When I'm tired or lazy usually.

So the NS boards classically had a 90degree edge, what does it mean now that the proto has a 0.5degree bevel? What does that equate to?

I wasn't planning on changing the edge/base bevel at all. I just want to be able to sharpen the edges/de-bur them without messing with them. I'd just be using a little file guide tool every week or so.

How do I sharpen the 0.5degree bevel without changing it is basically what I'm asking?

Thanks'
Old 11-27-2013, 07:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

How many metal rails do you hit? Rock ran over while in an edge?

If you are not scaring the edges then once a year is fine. The metal edges are stronge and snow and some ice will not dull them easily.

My HD while striaght lining runs straight and true and holds an edge like a champ.

Don't bother with the edges at all!!!!
Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAVETHISNOOB View Post
How many days/weeks between? That's good... I like to avoid messing about too much and more concentrating on riding!

Catch the odd edge but not a major problem... When I'm tired or lazy usually.

So the NS boards classically had a 90degree edge, what does it mean now that the proto has a 0.5degree bevel? What does that equate to?

I wasn't planning on changing the edge/base bevel at all. I just want to be able to sharpen the edges/de-bur them without messing with them. I'd just be using a little file guide tool every week or so.

How do I sharpen the 0.5degree bevel without changing it is basically what I'm asking?

Thanks'
0.5 degree = 89.5 degree, depends on your reference point.

You can set your tool at 89 or 90 and it will be close enough.

If you never hit rocks as mentioned above, it's not likely you'll need anything done anytime soon. Or you can obsess over it and clean it up every night in the bathtub if you like

P.S. On yea, what does a 0.5 degree angle mean? Marketing. There's about 0.5 people alive who will be able to tell the difference between 0 and 0.5 degrees...
Old 11-27-2013, 09:18 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

Just for clarification: The edge angle on the Carbonium boards is still 90 degrees - the bevel has just gone from 0/0 to 0.5/0.5 (or 89.5/0.5 depending on nomenclature).

Implication for sharpening is that you have to use a 89.5 (0.5) degree edge bevel relative to the base for the side edge in order to maintain the 90 edge angle. If you use a 90 (0) degree side bevel, your edge angle with will become 90.5 degrees. With a 89 (1) degree side bevel, it is 89.5 degree.

Last edited by hktrdr; 11-27-2013 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Mucked up the numbers the first time around.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Just for clarification: The edge angle on the Carbonium boards is still 90 degrees - the bevel has just gone from 0/0 to 0.5/0.5 (or 89.5/0.5 depending on nomenclature).

Implication for sharpening is that you have to use a 89.5 (0.5) degree edge bevel relative to the base for the side edge in order to maintain the 90 edge angle. If you use a 90 (0) degree side bevel, your edge angle with will become 89.5 degrees. With a 89 (1) degree side bevel, it is 90.5 degree.
Again, I would argue that it's about impossible to manually get to 0.5 deg accuracy by hand...