Women's beginner board help please? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Women's beginner board help please?

Height: 4'11"
Weight: 97-103 lbs
Boot size: 6.5
Riding style: I don't know yet. I'm a beginner though so I want a soft board
budget: around $250. Absolute max $300
location of riding: local place called mount kato and local hills in southern mn.

I know I should probably have a board around 130-140 but I need help finding one that would work well for me.

Would either of these be a good choice??

On Sale Sierra V Spot Snowboard 138 - Womens up to 50% off

On Sale Ride Rapture Snowboard - Womens up to 40% off
mcar93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2013, 04:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

Hey Peanut...

Get whatever, its more important to get good fitting boots and just get on the hill...spend some money on lessons.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've not ridden either of those boards, but from the specs they'll be great for you - both soft and forgiving, and the 138 (as small as either of them go) would be the right size for your weight. Really, any soft rocker or flat-rocker would work, I stumbled across last year's K2 Kandi on Evo that comes in some of the smaller sizes and well within your budget.

As wrathful said, good boots are more important - if your feet aren't comfy you won't enjoy riding nearly as much. And I'm a big believer in lessons if you can afford them now and again, good technique really helps you progress quickly.
lander91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lander91 View Post
I've not ridden either of those boards, but from the specs they'll be great for you - both soft and forgiving, and the 138 (as small as either of them go) would be the right size for your weight. Really, any soft rocker or flat-rocker would work, I stumbled across last year's K2 Kandi on Evo that comes in some of the smaller sizes and well within your budget.

As wrathful said, good boots are more important - if your feet aren't comfy you won't enjoy riding nearly as much. And I'm a big believer in lessons if you can afford them now and again, good technique really helps you progress quickly.
Hi,

You have some very good suggestions above and yes, lessons can help a lot. The boards that you are considering are fine boards but by shopping around a bit you can find a complete package at equal or higher quality (including boots and bindings) for those prices.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 04:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm planning to get lessons too of course
I just figure as much as I want to go, the rental prices will add up.
As far as boots go, I already have a pair I like and plan on getting a snowboard/bindings package once I find out which board I like best.
Old 11-29-2013, 04:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default An Ebay Shop's Recomendation?

Leslie from Dj's boardshop said a 138 would be too small for me?

"At your height and weight, a board in the 143cm range, give or take a couple cms either way will be ideal. A 138cm board will be a bit small, I wouldn't recommend going any smaller than a 140cm. With that said, The Sierra V Spot is a good board and we do have it available in the 142 size which I will recommend over the 138, link below. Otherwise, I have included a few other board/binding options that will work well for you to consider. Hope this helps!"

Sierra V Spot 142 Womens Snowboard Salomon Spell White Bindings | eBay

Rossignol Temptation Amptek 143 Womens Snowboard Rossignol Justice Bindings | eBay

Salomon Spark 143 Womens Snowboard Sapient Zeta White Bindings | eBay

Roxy Silhouette Banana Blem 141 Womens Snowboard Sapient Zeta White Bindings | eBay
Old 11-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi,

You can completely disregard that advice. Rider height is absolutely not a factor in board sizing. Only weight and shoe size count. There are many boards in 138 that will work well for you and many others that would not. It depends entirely on the designe of the specific model that you are considering.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi,

You can completely disregard that advice. Rider height is absolutely not a factor in board sizing. Only weight and shoe size count. There are many boards in 138 that will work well for you and many others that would not. It depends entirely on the designe of the specific model that you are considering.
Thanks. If it matters, I left out this part in the beginning "When choosing the correct board size, both height and weight play a role but weight is definitely more important. Basically, it comes down to being able to properly flex the board"

But how do I know which 138s work well and which ones don't? Are you talking about freestyle and freeride?

And how would the riding experience be different between a 138 and a 142?
Old 11-30-2013, 01:23 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Your biggest issue is going to be foot size.

Please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Old 11-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #10 (permalink)

23.5 cm for me. but what am I supposed to do with that?