Need wide board recommendations! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
mkp523

Default Need wide board recommendations!

Hey all,

I've been boarding for 7 years now. I've been rockin' a 164 Burton Bullet. I've lost a lot of weight since I started and I feel like its way to big and heavy for me now. I mostly do mountain riding and some jumps, but this season I want to step it up a notch. Spend some more time in the park doing bigger jumps and attempting rails for the first time. Thus I could use a new board.

My specs: Height: 5'10-11 Weight: 157lbs Boot size: 12
Also, I live on the East coast, so not the best conditions. I go to Eastern PA and North Jersey the most. Not much powder at all, and a lot of ice.

Karen from backcountry.com recommended either the Burton Custom Wide or Lib Tech Dark Series. Either way I should go with 158.

Naturally before I spend $500+, I could use a second opinion, perhaps more.

Thank you very much!
-<Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-28-2007, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
NJ SHREDDER 28

Question

IF your feet wont get any bigger, look into a mid-wide board. Something like a Burton Royale 158 (thats what I have)
Old 09-28-2007, 06:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
mkp523

Thanks for your reply--

I'm 21 so no more growing for me. What boot size do you wear? I'm guessing youre from Jersey too from your name, so tell me. With the conditions we have here, what do you like about your board vs. other boards?
Old 10-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
NJ SHREDDER 28

Sorry for this long wait for the reply...I havent been on in a while. Personally I havent ridden the board yet, but I found good reviews on several websites and forums. Yes, I do live in NJ, an I wear a size 11. For the Royale, they say ideally your boot size should be 10.5-12
Old 10-04-2007, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

Rome Slash...wide version of the Agent. Awsome all around killer.
boarderaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
djcuba908

Jersey is in the house! Haha ok so, I have monster feet as well, size 13. My first setup that I actually owned was all used from the same rider, and believe it or not, I was riding a 153 Burton twin with Burton Customs (large) and size 13 Burton Rulers. I had no toe or heel drag whatsoever. I am now going to be riding a Gnu Carbon Hi-Beam 156 with Burton Missions and same boots. If you are looking for wide boards, Gnu's Carbon Hi-Beam comes in tons of sizes, and is a great board that you can get at a killer price. I got a leftover 06/07 model for only $229 at Ski Barn in Totowa (it was the last one they had). The Gnu CHB has good flex for a nice pop, solid construction, and great for any level rider.

Also, the boards that we're recommended to you from backcountry.com are a little on the expensive side, but I don't know your price range. Anyways both of them are great boards too, and the Lib Tech is made from the same company as Gnu anyways (Mervin Manufacturing). In terms of board length, that all depends on what your gnar is. Jibbing it up in the park all day, then go for something that isn't above the height of your chin; otherwise, go closer to 160 if you want something a little more faster with better stability.

Last edited by djcuba908; 10-04-2007 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'd be reluctant to buy a burton wide board considering they fancy charging you extra for the wide version which is a right pisstake. I have a Ride Decade wide which I love, however if your gonna be riding alot of rails then probably not the way to go, but on kickers and any other riding on the general mountain its served me well.
Snowjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I also have a decade great intermediate all mountain board. Not the best in icy conditions but great on the groomers. I'm switching this year to either a Rome Flag or a GNU 11up MTX probably worth looking at either of those. The 11up is a step above the Carbon High Beam has a better core and a sintered base instead of an extruded one like the CHB.
lisevolution is offline   Reply With Quote