Set-back stance on a True Twin ? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
h2o119906

Question Set-back stance on a True Twin ?

So I used to ride a burton custom. Ridden 'em my whole life and love them. But I recently picked up a NS Evo-R. And, it's taking some getting used to the twin shape. I would ride my custom about 2'' back, and I feel like I had more control at high speeds, especially over bumps, with my back foot closer to the tail. So, my question is, could I ride a set-back stance like I had on my directional Custom on the twin-shape Evo-R? I think I have it back about 1/2 - 1'' right now, but I feel like I would benefit from moving it back another inch and maybe it would have more control. I don't ride switch for much more than 100 feet, so I'm not too worried about throwing that off. Thanks!

And ftr, I am loving the evo for park riding, but it is definitely not as reliable at speed as the custom was. Damn those customs really are great all-'rounders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
powderjet81

Setting your stance back will not work really well at all. If you do that your weight will not be centered on your sidecut, which will make it feel really awkward. On directional boards like the custom the sidecut is setback as well so that the stance is still centered over it.

Directional boards are designed to be more stable at speed. Having the longer nose will make them want to track straighter. So thats a compromise you've made in going with a twin. But as you said it better in the park.

By all means try setting it back, but i think you'll find it a bit unusual.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
h2o119906

Thanks for the response. Lil' slow in here.

Rather than set it back entirely, I was thinking of just setting the front foot back a bit. So, there will be a bit more space at the nose than the tail. Know what I mean? Or, I could just keep the bindings centered and try narrowing my stance a bit. I set it up with a wider stance than I'm used to, so that may be a factor in why the board seems a little less agile than my custom. I know it will never be as quick as the Custom, but maybe a narrower stance will help speed up the edge-to-edge response... any thoughts?
Old 12-29-2008, 08:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You'll be fine with whatever stance you feel most comfortable with.

Set it back, narrow it, whatever.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
powderjet81

All you can do is try and see how it turns out.

Speed of changes edge-to-edge is influenced by a lot of things including board width, bindings, torsional flex and the amount of pop the board has. I dont think that your stance width will affect that as much.

When i went from a custom to an uninc last year I found it to be faster from edge-2-edge because it had so much more snap (lots of carbon).
Old 12-30-2008, 07:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
leak

Let me know what you find out. I've got an EVO coming my way and would like to avoid ALL trial and error!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
h2o119906

I definitely will Leak. One thing I can tell you so far is...this thing has a lot of pop. Be careful on jumps. haha. I would have like to have gone down to the 153, but because it was so much narrower than the 155, I couldn't downsize. With a size 10 boot, I didn't want something with a 143 waist.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:51 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjet81 View Post
Setting your stance back will not work really well at all. If you do that your weight will not be centered on your sidecut, which will make it feel really awkward. On directional boards like the custom the sidecut is setback as well so that the stance is still centered over it.
Agreed. I rode 3 days at Baker last weekend. After all the leg-burners of day 1, I decided to set the stance back. Day 2 was horrible. It was fine in the deeper pow, but was terrible everywhere else. Day 3 was closer to a centered stance, which I think was a better all-around compromise.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
rayray780

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjet81 View Post
All you can do is try and see how it turns out.

Speed of changes edge-to-edge is influenced by a lot of things including board width, bindings, torsional flex and the amount of pop the board has. I dont think that your stance width will affect that as much.

When i went from a custom to an uninc last year I found it to be faster from edge-2-edge because it had so much more snap (lots of carbon).

i'm in the same boat as the original poster... i'm used to a directional board setback but now i have a UnInc and will need to get used to a centered stance. good to know that there's good pop on it. i have a 159 but i'm debating on bringing it back for a 161 (i'm 6 foot, 200lbs - mostly all mountain riding but some easy park stuff too).

-rayray