Board for teenagers - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2008, 09:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board for teenagers

So I recently got my brother, 13 years old, into the great sport of snowboarding. He's been renting every time we've gone, a total of 2 times. He's starting to learn how to go on his toe side. I think that it would be a good investment to purchase him some of his own boots, bindings, and board.

Of course we'll be going to a shop so he can try out some boots and make sure everything fits well and is perfect.

My question was, what size board should I get him? From the ground to his upper lip is about 142cm. He also weighs 110lbs right now. Of course he's a growing kid but I was wondering if I should get him a bigger board like maybe a 150cm so it can be used while he grows as well. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited by DragonXero13; 12-30-2008 at 12:17 AM.
DragonXero13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
ineednewst00f

Maybe buy a board that is used that he can use this season to make sure he likes the sport enough, and then once he advances enough you can go out and get him a new board that fit's him correctly?
Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineednewst00f View Post
Maybe buy a board that is used that he can use this season to make sure he likes the sport enough, and then once he advances enough you can go out and get him a new board that fit's him correctly?
Well he told me that he loves the sport already. He wants to get his own pass and his own gear so that I/our parents won't have to keep paying for rental fees and lift tickets.

My main concern is what size board I should get him because of his growing years. Should I go with what fits him best now, or should I get him something that he can use when he's old enough to pay for his own crap .. haha
Old 12-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
kylekilljoy

BOARD SIZE IS ABOUT WEIGHT NOT HEIGHT
Intentional caps so maybe the next time someone asks this question they remember this fact that has been posted maybe a hundred times.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylekilljoy View Post
BOARD SIZE IS ABOUT WEIGHT NOT HEIGHT
Intentional caps so maybe the next time someone asks this question they remember this fact that has been posted maybe a hundred times.
Thanks for re-stating that. I forgot about weight as well. It just feels so common that people find board size depending on the height and weight, but more so their height because of that "saying" that a board should be from your mouth to the bottom of your nose. I guess it could be because of the "test" of where a board reaches to your face vs. the knowledge that weight plays a factor in determining board size without a physical test.

Regardless of the weight and height subject, any other opinions on what I should do?
Old 01-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crazy Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonXero13 View Post
Thanks for re-stating that. I forgot about weight as well. It just feels so common that people find board size depending on the height and weight, but more so their height because of that "saying" that a board should be from your mouth to the bottom of your nose. I guess it could be because of the "test" of where a board reaches to your face vs. the knowledge that weight plays a factor in determining board size without a physical test.

Regardless of the weight and height subject, any other opinions on what I should do?
That's called hockey sticking it. You know why? Because that's pretty much how people buy hockey sticks.I remember being 110lbs, and being given a 154 by the rental shop, because of that. I could not ride the 154 that well, It was a plank, a plank I was far too underweight for. At his weight, I rode 145-147 back in the day.

Your best bet is to look in that range, and check the weight charts on the boards, and go higher or lower if you need to,
Old 01-01-2009, 11:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I sized my brother up and a 150cm touches the tip of his nose. I think I'll probably be buying him either a 148 or 150cm. Now to figure out how much I should spend on his first board and what kind of board ...

I want to get him a board that:

-Is made of quality that will last at least two seasons
-Somewhat affordable, less than $350 is ideal.
-Freeriding with the ability to handle some small jumps

At the moment, I own a Rome Anthem. It's a quality board that handles great on the mountain is fun for some jumps. What's the lesser version of the Rome Anthem for a 13-15 year old kid at the weight of 110lbs and 5"4.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Psyre

you shouldn't worry about where it comes to on his face. It truly is based on the weight. If you look at the sizing charts none will say"180-190 lbs OR 6'2-6'5 = 155-160"
Old 01-01-2009, 11:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yeah, lol. I need to get that mentality out of my head.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Psyre

I had the same problem at first haha but this forum broke me of that quick. I have used boards that are over my nose and boards up to my chin all because different makes have different weights. This is just my opinion and what I would do so noone flame and don't do this without some more opinions. However I would say size him up to a 120-130lb chart which is typically 140-150. It's a bit of a weight increase but I know I grew alot between 13-14, broader and taller. And from there let him pick out the board he thinks looks coolest in the 140-150 range. At that age you want to feel like you look cool because if you feel like you look cool it gets your excited about going out and riding, and won't make you timid to be seen. Everyone wants a board that looks cool, show him the good quality boards he can choose from and let the rest be up to him. Wish I would have started at 13 haha.