Disadvantage to Rockers (wha?!) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2008, 03:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
junkie28

Default Disadvantage to Rockers (wha?!)

So.. all the hype about bananas and rockers, and the whole reversed camber lot. I was explaining reverse camber to my friend, and he raised a ear shocking question, what are the disadvantages to a rocker. Well, seems like this year, all the rage has been to bananas and rockers. It raising the nose and tail contact points, making it less likely to catch and edge (great for park riders). The natural shape makes it popping ollies easier than ever without preloading, nose & tail presses, buttering is like second nature. Raising the nose and tail contact points, riding in pow makes the board float up higher (maybe just the nose, but whatever that means..).

Now that being said, who has something to say about the disadvantages of reversed cambers? (blasphemy!)

I found this website from some post Shred Betties | Gear Reviews & Information | Reverse Camber Explained , saying if you go front or back side heavy, it can cause you to over turn or wipe out (especially in jumps?), also edge to edge can be a bit squirrelly?

Anyone else got any other disadvantages?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 07:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ive been riding mine here on the ice coast so far just fine. I do have to hold a tighter edge to keep it from getting squirrelly but that's when I'm holding a turn on ice. As far as edge to edge transfer, I've had no issues. I also have a real good up-weighting and down-weighting rythem when I ride so that may be masking the squirrell factor.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Of course there are disadvantages with rocker boards, just like there are disadvantages with cambered boards. Rocker boards can be good, but are just not as good as cambered boards for high speed riding. On steep, icy, hard packed terrain, a cambered board is just plain easier to control and much better at it. I don't care if the rocker board has MTX, Neversummer recurve, whatever. Really though, rocker is a lot of fun and works for most everything. If you are riding hard boots, or fall and you die terrain, then rocker is probably not for you. Otherwise, you'll have to look at what you like to ride and how rocker relates to that. For myself I can go either way.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
hotsauceaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
I have yet to ride one so can`t say.

From the viewpoint of an instructor, one thing I have some concerns about is if learning to ride on one will allow the new rider to "get away" with bad habits that will really mess with them later when they try to ride a conventional cambered board. The forgiveness of these things allows a rider to be more sloppy with edge control and I think this could cause trouble later on.

I don`t know if there is any merit to this concern, but I throw it out there for consideration.
I agree... You gotta pay dues, and this whole scene just by-passes that it seems... Plus, look at the whole marketing behind this technology, they bash skiing, and everything to do with it. There are more skiers than snowboarders, it's just a fact. They generally have more money, so while some kid who wants a reverse camber board because it's "cool" is begging his parents or selling weed to his buddies to buy one, skiers are spending millions yearly keeping resorts in operation. That's the reality of it. Skiing started it all, not skateboarding as one would believe. The first recorded history of surfing was almost 5000 years ago. Polynesians use to wander out in low tide to gather up whatever they could, and ride the waves back to the beach on a board. In Scandinavia, just as long ago, man had discovered that they could glide on snow with wooden planks under their feet... made hunting easier. Point i'm trying to make is, skiing has more in common with surfing than snowboarding does, since both sports were born out of necessity. I'm gonna demo a reverse camber board first chance I get, but I guarantee that I'll light up anyone who's learned to ride on one of these...

Last edited by hotsauceaddict; 12-30-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauceaddict View Post
but I guarantee that I'll light up anyone who's learned to ride on one of these...
for buying into the hype?
squishydonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

TBH, I can't say I noticed some massive difference riding the NS SL-R. Don't get me wrong, the board is amazingly well made, high quality board. I just think the rocker thing is really not that big of a deal. The biggest thing I notice is I catch an edge easier, not the other way around, it threw me funny the first few times I rode it, nothing major though. That could have been the summer leg lazy syndrome as well.

Now I rock it fine, but I really haven't tried it on ice so I can't say if the Vario Power Grip does anything.
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 12:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsauceaddict View Post
Plus, look at the whole marketing behind this technology, they bash skiing, and everything to do with it.
Which is ironic because skiing has been quicker to adopt the concept with more rockered models overall.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
fl3x

My question is how do these boards perform in pow?
Old 01-01-2009, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl3x View Post
My question is how do these boards perform in pow?
Mine does just fine in pow
Old 01-02-2009, 10:14 PM   #10 (permalink)
fl3x

good to hear about the pow

i talked to this guy whos been riding his www rocker for about 2 weeks now and he says that it would fail at massive jumps and double blacks
anyone agree or disagree?

he also said that he would have rather bought the www without the rocker

hmmmmm