Deciding on new board, need help from experienced - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Deciding on new board, need help from experienced

Hi!

Im from italy, and I need few advices!
I was boarding on my Burton bullet for last few years, it has really became a way too slow board for me, and now Im looking for something of much higher level and possibilities..

I need advice in what to take next, Im 190cm tall, 80kg, I snowboard for 13 years, and I am a good and fast snowboarder, I dont do pipes, mostly slopes, powder, a bit of offpisting, but mostly I need good performance on slopes..

Have looked at Burton Custom X, what do you say? Would it be the right choice?
If you think of anything else please tell it to me.
I also need new bindings, so you can share experience with these too..

Also what size bullet would fit me? I think the bullet I had now was 164, maybe it was too long? maybe right? no idea..

Thanks a lot!
Arados is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

They'll want to know your shoe size as well.
DrGwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGwiz View Post
They'll want to know your shoe size as well.
yeah sorry forgot that.. thats why I went for bullet before, cause its wide.
I have 45 (european size), that must be 11.5 in USA man I think..
Old 12-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

been searching along the same lines, for similar use...on my comparison list are also the K2 Slayblade and Jones Aviator...yet to ride either myself though...
CassMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The CustomX is a great board, and a huge step up in performance from a bullet, if you like going fast it is a good board for that.

Burton boards with the channel work best with Burton EST bindings, i recommend the Cartel EST or Genesis EST bindings. plenty stiff, light comfortable, good if not the best ratchets.

there are other good brands besides burton too, boards like the Salomon man's board, ride berzerker, never summer heritage or raptor, K2 subculture or slayblade, Yes PYL. Most of those also cost less than the X as well.

I would say a 158-160 would be a better size, in any of these boards, for you.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Can't go wrong with the Custom X if you mainly ride groomers and occasional laps off piste; fast and stable and very nice to carve. But for deeper pow, a Custom X 160 at your weight won't be too much fun. A hybrid camber would help for better float.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks, I didn't get what you mean by 160 won't be fun, do you think is too small or too big?

Last edited by Arados; 12-02-2013 at 02:11 AM.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arados View Post
Thanks, I didn't get what you mean by 160 won't be fun, do you think is too small or too big?
haha, cryptic information alarm Didn't want to say that bigger or smaller is better, but to mention what I know about this distinct size. 2nd try: The Custom X is kind of the standard board of the guys I'm riding with, all about your weight, they all had a 160 at some point and love the board for ripping groomers (they're into carving n speed). So if this is your main aim, you'll love a 160 Custom X.

But they were not too delighted hitting deep (40cm) pow with it. It's surely doable, but you'll need to stay in the backseat (lean back a lot) to keep the nose afloat (= not too much fun). Can't say if a bigger one would be better (well, logically a bigger would float better, but then you compromise with agility), rekon it's more the shape than the size...
Just wanted to mention, that there is a compromise, and it depends on your aims, if and where you want to make this compromise. If you mainly aim at groomers, you'll love it. Also for riding some fresh left and right from the groomers. But if you want to frequently take it to deep pow (since you mentioned powder...), a board with a rocker nose would be more fun.
Husband now is riding a 164 hybrid rocker and not reluctant anymore to hit deep pow. I went from a 157 pure camber to a 158 hybrid camber and am delighted by its great float.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neni View Post
haha, cryptic information alarm Didn't want to say that bigger or smaller is better, but to mention what I know about this distinct size. 2nd try: The Custom X is kind of the standard board of the guys I'm riding with, all about your weight, they all had a 160 at some point and love the board for ripping groomers (they're into carving n speed). So if this is your main aim, you'll love a 160 Custom X.

But they were not too delighted hitting deep (40cm) pow with it. It's surely doable, but you'll need to stay in the backseat (lean back a lot) to keep the nose afloat (= not too much fun). Can't say if a bigger one would be better (well, logically a bigger would float better, but then you compromise with agility), rekon it's more the shape than the size...
Just wanted to mention, that there is a compromise, and it depends on your aims, if and where you want to make this compromise. If you mainly aim at groomers, you'll love it. Also for riding some fresh left and right from the groomers. But if you want to frequently take it to deep pow (since you mentioned powder...), a board with a rocker nose would be more fun.
Husband now is riding a 164 hybrid rocker and not reluctant anymore to hit deep pow. I went from a 157 pure camber to a 158 hybrid camber and am delighted by its great float.
Thanks, now is more clear ...
They have offered me here in Milan, Italy the new custom X 162, and black Cartel EST together for price of 750eur (discounted from list prices 925eur)...

So I have to decide if that is good to take.

so you say rocker nose is cool, If I got it well a CAMBER with rocker nose? is that what you named hybrid rocker?, what is the hybrid camber you have then? Im bit confused, have to get some more understanding..

Which board in this hybrid/ rocker nose would u recommend?
I love burton but I can get whatever does good job.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #10 (permalink)

I have looked sizes on burton website.. I suppose my foot size is considered large (euro 45 USA 11.5)
looking here:
Sites-Burton_US-Site
There are these models I look at:

160cm 164cm 159Wcm 162Wcm 164Wcm

The one I have looked in shop is 162Wcm (wide model).. do u think is the right one for me?