First day out, already got scratches - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First day out, already got scratches

I bought a new board (K2 Raygun) and took it out yesterday. The hill wasn't really ready yet and there was a lot of rocks with a fair amount of ice, but I didn't drive all the way there for nothing. I'm not really sure, but the scratches seem pretty deep. Should I be worried about them?

ShevyPri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The good news.....you made the right decision and went snowboarding. You didn't spend the whole day checking your base. There is nothing wrong with that board. A little wax will make it new again. Those marks are absolutely miniscule and will not change the performance. Wax them away and good on you for riding the board, not babying it.
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARSENALFAN View Post
The good news.....you made the right decision and went snowboarding. You didn't spend the whole day checking your base. There is nothing wrong with that board. A little wax will make it new again. Those marks are absolutely miniscule and will not change the performance. Wax them away and good on you for riding the board, not babying it.
Great to hear, I was pretty worried. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Lunatics would opt for an immediate base grind but there is no reason for that....it will just chew up more of your base material and cost unnecessary cash. If you don't do your own waxing....I would simply take it to a shop (after riding it for another 5 days) and ask them to put a coat of wax on it. I wouldn't let them grind it and probably would forgoe an edge sharpen unless it feels dull. A good shop who are in no rush will make it look new again.

Nice choice on the Raygun. Sounds like you listened to some forum members on here before pulling the trigger. Cheers.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Lunatics would opt for an immediate base grind but there is no reason for that....it will just chew up more of your base material and cost unnecessary cash. If you don't do your own waxing....I would simply take it to a shop (after riding it for another 5 days) and ask them to put a coat of wax on it. I wouldn't let them grind it and probably would forgoe an edge sharpen unless it feels dull. A good shop who are in no rush will make it look new again.

Nice choice on the Raygun. Sounds like you listened to some forum members on here before pulling the trigger. Cheers.
Alright, thanks a lot for your help. I've curious as to what edge sharpening does? I've never gotten it before.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Well when you run your thumbnail along the edge and cannot get any shavings or there are lots of nicks.......time to get a sharpen. Easily done yourself but nothing can compare to a great shop who only shave micro mms from the edge and create a new, razor sharp edge. If your a park rat and doing rails all the time, forget sharpening for a long time. Just my opinion.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShevyPri View Post
Alright, thanks a lot for your help. I've curious as to what edge sharpening does? I've never gotten it before.
sharp edges vs. dull edges is like comparing a steak knife to a butter knife... depending on how you ride determines how sharp or dull you like your edges... rails, boxes park style riding keep em dull for catch free fun and in most cases do a full de-tune purposely...

Last edited by MrKrinkle; 12-02-2013 at 07:38 PM.
MrKrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

sharp edges on rails = trip to the ER
Old 12-02-2013, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:

Do your own waxing!
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I barely ride any park and usually just carve down the mountain. I'm assuming sharper would be better for this. When I run my thumbnail down the board it feels very rigid which is what I would assume is sharp. Am I right on this? How often would I need to sharpen?