first board advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default first board advice

I'm looking to buy my first snowboard, at the moment i have just been using an old camber rental board from the indoor snow slope i go to. I'm now an intermediate/advance rider. I have been given so much different advice about what my first board should be, and all the lingo is confusing me and now my brain has turned to mush haha. So i thought i'd ask here and hopefully get an answer...

I'm not looking for a freestyle board. Just a board i can use at an indoor slope and for my first trip to the mountains (not black runs either) Preferably a board that doesn't catch the edges and makes easy turns.

I've been told that an all mountain rocker or hybrid-rocker would be best for me. Been told that the Burton lipstick or Burton genie would be good. What do you think, and whats the difference between the two?
Or is there any other boards you'd recommend?

I also would like a board that's not too expensive....
SnowAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would go with the lip stick over the genie. The genie is too soft. The flex on the lip stick is perfect and the flat between your feet and rocker tips will have a very comfortable catch free ride. Coming from a cambered board, you will progress much faster and build confidence with a board like the lip stick.

My girl did the same thing. When I got her the Ride Promise she improved so fast is was insane. It really helped her learn to link turns with no fear of catching an edge.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

All good choices, consider feather or social too.

Look for used or previous year stuff to save dough.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:06 AM   #4 (permalink)

Been having a look at the lipstick, but i'm not too keen on the graphics on them. Do you know if there any boards the same/similar as the lipstick but by a different brand?

Also I thought the Burton feather and social were freestyle boards? Or can be be used as all mountain boards...
Old 12-02-2013, 04:40 AM   #5 (permalink)

Board graphics are irrelevant, most are ugly as can be.
Check out the Jones Twin sister, its got a RCR profile and isnt too ugly

If budget is your main concern check last years lineup, or try your luck on the 2nd hand markets on the web.

Last edited by cozmo; 12-02-2013 at 04:45 AM. Reason: sleeping behind my desk waiting to go on holiday
cozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default First Board

Rocker Flat Rocker

Rome Detail Rocker Snowboard - Women's 2012

Evo.com 152 great price
SnowDogWax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowAngel View Post
Been having a look at the lipstick, but i'm not too keen on the graphics on them. Do you know if there any boards the same/similar as the lipstick but by a different brand?

Also I thought the Burton feather and social were freestyle boards? Or can be be used as all mountain boards...
Feather is a beginner to intermediate board, def all mountain.

Social is a little more park oriented but can still go anywhere.

All boards you are looking at are rockered, these will turn easier but won't have great edge hold on ice.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks guys. haha yea i know the graphics is the least thing to worry about, but it's hard not to be swayed to the pretty looking ones!
Cozmo - i've had a look at the jones twin sister, and has now been added to my short list haha.
i have also been looking at the ride baretta board, any thoughts to this one? the only thing is it only seems to come in a 148 or 151 size, and i'm a 149... do you recon having 1cm smaller would make alot of difference, or is it best to stick to the size i know?
Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Not to add to your confusion, but I have a friend who picked up the Salomon Lotus last season and her progression on it was insane. Went from semi-stable stiff body green riding on a Feelgood she was borrowing to linking, and carving on high level blues.

It's flat camber which will make turning easier than full camber and it's soft but not too soft. Not a long-term solution but for a few years to improve your skills it's a good look.
M.C._Dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks M.C_DUB will check that one out!