Need help/advice finding a new board!!! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Need help/advice finding a new board!!!

I have been riding for 8 or 9 years now and have had 3 boards. I currently ride a 2010 Rome Artifact 1985 in a 150 and I love it. I am slightly over 5'9'' and around 150-155lbs. Only problem is that I am more of a jumps person than a jibbing person. I'd say maybe 75% jumps, 25% jibbing. The flex is nice, but I lose control of my board, especially at higher speeds, and often bail on bigger sized jumps. I mainly ride park, especially out where I live in the Midwest(Chicago) area, but I also enjoy just cruising the mountain and going down some more aggressive black diamond type runs, as well as some backcountry and bowls, when I fly out west.

That being said, I am looking to get a new board for this season, especially since my Artifact cracked a bit on both ends last year. I havnt really ever looked too much into the board technology behind snowboards, nor have I kept up with board technology over the 2 years or so. I need some advice. Should I get a much stiffer board? Should I go up in size? Should I try going with a Camber board instead of a Rocker like my Artifact? Or should I try some Hybrid board? Will a stiffer/longer board make spinning or grabs harder? Will it be a lot different for jibbing as well?

Some brands I usually have liked in the past are: Burton, Capita, DC, Rome, Lib Tech, Ride, Stepchild. I personally have only owned Burton and Rome boards, but am down to try something new.
Some boards I have taken an interest in currently:
2014 DC Mega, 2014 DC Lauri Pro, 2014 Rome Postermania, 2014 Rome Agent
Some of my friends have recommended:
Various Burton boards, 2014 Rome Ultrafear, 2014 Capita Horrorscope (I know this one is a bit more flexy though)

One more thing I almost forgot to add is price. The price level of most of these boards is pretty much in the same range, other than the Rome Agent being slightly higher in price. I know that Burton and Lib Tech, as well as some other brands, get a bit more pricey than your average board. If it could be possibly to stay in the "under $500" that would be great. Of course the less money I need to spend the better.

Can someone help me choose between these boards for my type of riding, or give me advice on maybe some other boards out there? I personally really like the DC Mega and DC Lauri Pro, I actually almost purchased a Mega last year but they went out of stock in my size. I know some of the other brands are more reputable when it comes to board technology though.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by snwbrdr23; 12-01-2013 at 06:35 PM.
snwbrdr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

If you do jumps at high speeds and lose control a lot i recommend a medium flex lib tech board that has magna-traction which is like ripples in the side wall that make it easier to control. I had one when I was 11-13 i ride burton customs now.
burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burton View Post
If you do jumps at high speeds and lose control a lot i recommend a medium flex lib tech board that has magna-traction which is like ripples in the side wall that make it easier to control. I had one when I was 11-13 i ride burton customs now.
Any particular reason why Lib Tech specifically, over these boards I have listed? And how are the Burton Customs? I havn't really been able to keep up with Burton Technology the past few years, but I know they have some really good new innovations. Any other Burton boards worth looking at?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

From your description of what you are looking for and what you are having trouble with you need a board with these features.

Mid flex
Cambered or camber rocker camber. No full rocker board
Damp meter around 5-7
A board with good pop

I personally think magna traction sucks. A cambered board or Hybrid cambered board has excellent traction due to the contact points at the end of the cambered area. A damp board will fill really stable at high speeds and have little chatter. A board with good pop will allow you to get sick air without trying so hard. A mid flex board goes with it being damp and will support your riding style better but still able to press and jib.

There are a ton of boards out there with these features, so research them and see what you like the most. Read reviews but don't over think it.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwbrdr23 View Post
Any particular reason why Lib Tech specifically, over these boards I have listed? And how are the Burton Customs? I havn't really been able to keep up with Burton Technology the past few years, but I know they have some really good new innovations. Any other Burton boards worth looking at?
Lib tech for some reason where easy to control for me. My burton custom is a Flying V shape so it's camber and rocker but it has a lot more flex than the normal custom.
burton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery2many View Post
From your description of what you are looking for and what you are having trouble with you need a board with these features.

Mid flex
Cambered or camber rocker camber. No full rocker board
Damp meter around 5-7
A board with good pop

I personally think magna traction sucks. A cambered board or Hybrid cambered board has excellent traction due to the contact points at the end of the cambered area. A damp board will fill really stable at high speeds and have little chatter. A board with good pop will allow you to get sick air without trying so hard. A mid flex board goes with it being damp and will support your riding style better but still able to press and jib.

There are a ton of boards out there with these features, so research them and see what you like the most. Read reviews but don't over think it.

How about when it comes to choosing size? Would moving up to a 153 be a good idea since I will be doing less jibbing and more jumping or all around riding? Will this affect my spins at all? Or will it improve my jumps and overall control of the board at high speeds?
Old 12-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwbrdr23 View Post
How about when it comes to choosing size? Would moving up to a 153 be a good idea since I will be doing less jibbing and more jumping or all around riding? Will this affect my spins at all? Or will it improve my jumps and overall control of the board at high speeds?
Typically adding length improves stability and dampness at speed, at the cost of making the board a little harder to swing in spins. Length also marginally/incrementally helps to stick landings. All other things being equal.

Your original post sounds like you want a good all around board.

Since you're in the often icy Midwest I'd say burton custom or process, likely cambered version of those.

Do some demos, trying before buying is much better than a blind purchase even when aided by some advice from here.

Last edited by Lamps; 12-02-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
Typically adding length improves stability and dampness at speed, at the cost of making the board a little harder to swing in spins. Length also marginally/incrementally helps to stick landings. All other things being equal.

Kinda sounds what I am looking for to be honest, so I'll probably move up to a 153. Before the Artifact I was riding a Burton camber board in a 152, but that was so long ago I dont even remember to be honest haha. I'll have to get used to riding camber and a longer board since I havent done either in several years now.
Old 12-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Going to a 153 would be just fine and would be more stable on big jumps, high speeds and float when riding bowls and a little more effective edge. It wouldn't affect your spins if the board has good pop. Narrow your list down and really research them and come back with your top picks. Members will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Edit: lamps beat me to it. Lol

Last edited by Mystery2many; 12-02-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

So does anybody have any actual experience or knowledge about any of the specific boards I posted about? Mainly my top 4?

DC Mega (Camber):
DC Mega Snowboard | Dogfunk.com
DC Lauri Pro (Camber):
DC Lauri Pro Snowboard | Dogfunk.com
Rome Agent (Camber):
Rome Agent Snowboard | Dogfunk.com
Rome Agent (Camber/Rocker/Camber):
Rome Agent Rocker Snowboard | Dogfunk.com

I have looked at some Burton boards (Customs to be exact), but I can not decide which one would be best for me or if they are worth that price. Also, would I need new bindings to go with their newer channel technology?

Last edited by snwbrdr23; 12-02-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Tags
dc lauri, dc mega, rome agent, rome artifact 1985, rome postermania