Need more numbers and stats. Wide boards? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 04:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
halfasemitone

Question Need more numbers and stats. Wide boards?

Hi all,

There's many many choices out there whoa!! I've done as much research as I could on new beginner gear but haven't found much. I looked into Snowboard magazines and all I get is ads with no relevant descriptions and pictures of people super high in the air. Those are great but even the buyers guides aren't helpful. All they are just opinions and blurbs that have nothing to do with specs. So........

That's why I came here and read many threads. There are so many great knowledgeable people here so I'll ask.

I'm new to, have never tried, but am picking up snowboarding. (My buddy is getting me into it). I am 5'11" and weigh alot! (260lbs... that will change this year. I promise!!) I have a size 12 dress shoe. I've been hearing that a wide board is what I should be looking for. Is this true? Also, should I get a stiffer board since I'm very heavy even though I'm a beginner? Any suggestions on which boards and brands that I can add to my excel spreadsheet that I've made so far with pricing?

For those who are already thinking it.... stop. I WILL rent gear on my first few times BUT, the reason why I'm getting a whole bunch of new stuff early is because it's a gift. I just don't want to turn down a limited time offer until next season. Who knows if my friends will be offering to pick up the bill for good gear next year!

Thanks to all who read this. I'm glad to see that there more than just magazines and brand snobs out there (like in some shops.... not naming any names.....)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2008, 08:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

Yeah, you should get a wide board (~160 cm). Since you are a beginner, you can pick up an entry level from just about any company out there (except Lamar or LTD). Just off the top of my head, you might want to get something like a K2 Anagram or last year's Burton King. You can pick these up right now at pretty reasonable prices ~$200.00. When you progress more, you can get something more dialed to your liking (park or freeride). Hope this helps.
Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:54 AM   #3 (permalink)
kMc

you could check out the burton bullet also other companies like omatic or capita make very reasonably priced wide boards. i also dont think you want a super stiff board to start with.
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

yeah if your looking for cheap yet decent a few places are selling the Ride Decade, for cheap 200 to 250 bucks, i picked one up this year just because i didnt have the money to go buy what i really wanted. Speciffically i bought my at REI its kinda like and LL BEAN, i thought it was lame to buy from there because i usally try to support the local shops but i couldnt beat the price. I got a 165 wide, i believe they had a160 wide, it is a little less stiff than you might like though idk, read about it there are some posts on this site about that board, i havent rode it yet, i really just bought it but people say that they have liked it. Good luck and if your going to get boots, try the Burton Motos. Super cheap like 115 to 125 but they are great. Super comfortable and reliable, they also have the system were you dont use laces to tighten it up, i cant remeber the specific name sorry. Ride LS bindings are a decent pair of cheap bindings. Good Luck i hope this helps
steve_ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
halfasemitone

Hayes, kMc, steve_ri, Thank you so much for you reply and insight.

So wide board it is eh? Cool. 160cm and NOT a stiff board?

Going by my research that I've done so far a stiff board is one of the specs that put the board in the "intermediate" category, right? Why would I go for a softer board instead of a stiff board with my weight? Is it due to longevity of life for the board or is it more a performance thing.

Thanks again for your time.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

hey man i'm also 260, so dont sweat it. i bought a burton canyon (i believe its a wide version of the custom, its a wide board anyway). it works real nice for me at 164
AZred60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 03:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
halfasemitone

What about stiffness?
Old 01-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
kMc

stiffer boards are less forgiving when you are learning.
kMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

How often you planing to go? Get a lower end board designed for beginners, you will thank yourself.. you can throw out most of the weight info because what you want as a beginner is different then what you'll want once you get good.
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #10 (permalink)

dude when you are 260 there aren't many boards that are going to feel very stiff to you, it's all relative. you may want to go for a stiffer board, otherwise you may find that it will be way to flexible
AZred60 is offline   Reply With Quote