New board, need help to choose size - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 06:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New board, need help to choose size

Hey guys, need help:

I'm 6.1' 205 lbs 11.5 size boots. it is 5th riding season for me, level: intermediat-advanced. I love powder, playing natural features, trees, unfortunately there are no big mountains in my place, no nice offpists so have to play in the park more, hit some kickers etc. Although, once a year going to the Alps for real mountains Then I am engaged with powder of course :}

Going to buy all new equipment. Want to have one board for all. And I am choosing between Lib tech attack banana 161 (not wide) 2012/2013 model, good deal - discounted and Skate Banana 159W or 156W 2013/2014, no discountvof course ;D
Bindings Union Force I guess.

My question is should I grab only Wide board,or norrow still fits me? Is the 161 Attack banana to long for me and my riding preferences, coz I want to have only one board for all. Would be 156 skate banana to small for me? Any other suggestion are more than wellcome!

I used to ride some oldschool Forum159 board at home, do not even know the model, cannt see it anymore and I was renting something in the Alps... that sucks, so I am about to bring there my brand new board this year.
For freestyle and park the old one looked a bit to long and not very playfull.

Cheers!
the traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Let's get down to it and see if it is a good idea to save the money on the available non-wide model. First off, what is your stance width and angle?

Second, please measure your foot using this method:

Kick your heel (barefoot please, no socks) back against a wall. Mark the floor exactly at the tip of your toe (the one that sticks out furthest - which toe this is will vary by rider). Measure from the mark on the floor to the wall. That is your foot length and is the only measurement that you will want to use. Measure in centimeters if possible, but if not, take inches and multiply by 2.54 (example: an 11.25 inch foot x 2.54 = 28.57 centimeters).
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hi,

My usual stance is duck, angles: +15 -15 and the width.. Don't have the board next to me now, but I switch my stance width from time to time, depending if I am in park, I go wider, if I am on pow I go shorter...

I measured my foot length as you described, it's 28.4 cm - 28.5 cm (depending on the leg, or maybe its just a measuring error ) I know that 11.5 size is the edge between going Wide or not...

Let see guys what would you suggest

Last edited by the traveler; 12-03-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by the traveler View Post
Hi,

My usual stance is duck, angles: +15 -15 and the width.. Don't have the board next to me now, but I switch my stance width from time to time, depending if I am in park, I go wider, if I am on pow I go shorter...

I measured my foot length as you described, it's 28.4 cm - 28.5 cm (depending on the leg, or maybe its just a measuring error ) I know that 11.5 size is the edge between going Wide or not...

Let see guys what would you suggest
You should not go wide. 28.5 is technically a US 10.5 boot size. Boot size, however is unimportant for determining board width (only foot measurement matters). The Attack Banana 161 is 25.8 at the waist (don't worry about that number - nothing happens at the waist). Importantly it is 26.7 at the center inserts, which allows you just under 1cm of barefoot toe and heel overhang. With your angles that will work out to...perfection. Grab the cheap board and have a great season shredding.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for clarification, appretiate it! I've just checked that 28.5 cm is really a 10.5 US boot size but for some reasons I wear 11.5.... I tried smaller boots, but they felt too tiny, maybe I choose my boots wrong? Maybe I need to wear them longer until they perfectely addapt to my foot, althout initialy they look to small...

If I would decide to go for the skate banana, shoud I also stick with the narrow one?
Both 156 and 159 have same waist of 25.5 cm (do not know where you found width of mid inserts.. but I assume it will be 0.9 cm wider) In such case my toe and heel overhang will be 1.05 cm and again, with my stance angles this should work perfectely, right?

I am so hesitating should I grab the attack or skate banana. I don't even care about the price anymore, coz the last discounted one was bought while I was deciding ;D
Just want to have more playfulness and Skate Banana is better for this..

In such case, should I stick with 156 or 159?

Thanks a lot!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by the traveler View Post
Thanks a lot for clarification, appretiate it! I've just checked that 28.5 cm is really a 10.5 US boot size but for some reasons I wear 11.5.... I tried smaller boots, but they felt too tiny, maybe I choose my boots wrong? Maybe I need to wear them longer until they perfectely addapt to my foot, althout initialy they look to small...

If I would decide to go for the skate banana, shoud I also stick with the narrow one?
Both 156 and 159 have same waist of 25.5 cm (do not know where you found width of mid inserts.. but I assume it will be 0.9 cm wider) In such case my toe and heel overhang will be 1.05 cm and again, with my stance angles this should work perfectely, right?

I am so hesitating should I grab the attack or skate banana. I don't even care about the price anymore, coz the last discounted one was bought while I was deciding ;D
Just want to have more playfulness and Skate Banana is better for this..

In such case, should I stick with 156 or 159?

Thanks a lot!
Hi,

Don't worry at all about the size that is printed on your boots. Your foot measurement is all that matters.

You will be great in terms of width for any of those boards. 159 (top choice) or 161 will be a better choice than 156 in terms of weight.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Great, thanks for your very helpful advices!