Looking for my next board - 7' 180lbs and size 14 boots - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for my next board - 7' 180lbs and size 14 boots

Yeah. That.

I would consider myself an intermediate rider, but I can take on most black diamonds and am interested in learning to ride parks this year. I live on the east coast and don't get many chances for pow days, but I try to make one trip out west each year for a week.

I've been riding a Freesport Braxus 164 wide for the last 3-4 years, but the base has peeled away from the core and the board just needs to be replaced at this point. It's the board that I learned on, and I have not been gentle to this poor thing. I'm hoping that a lot of epoxy will get me through this season so I can hunt for a demo board or something next year, but I'm not really sure what to look for. I REALLY don't weigh enough to push this current board, but I don't have many options as my stance is pretty freaking wide. Any suggestions on what to look for?

Also, I have a friend with a 163 wide Lib Tech TRS from 2-3 years back hanging on the wall in his shop that's only been ridden once, by him, for $300. I'm concerned that the board feels a little stiffer than my current one, but that may just be because my old POS has been broken in so much. Apart from the fact that it's a steal and I can probably get him down to $270, should I go for it or should I shop around?

Many thanks to you all for your help.
Kolhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Resident poet

first off idk...small footed...but 300 bones...nope...maybe 150
Old 12-02-2013, 06:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

like wrath said not worth even close to 300.

That board may not even be wide enough for you. There aren't many boards that wide, Nitro magnum is the only one i can think of that is affordable.

You might be able to get a custom board built, Prospect Snowboards MFG Hand Crafted Custom Snowboards and wakeboards in the USA - Madison Wisconsin
Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Boards depreciate in value THAT much over time? Wow, why is that?

The TRS seemed comparable width-wise to my current stick - are you saying that Lib Techs tend to run on the narrow side? I may need to take a tape measure into the store to check it out.

Thanks again for the suggestions, and please keep them coming.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Depreciation would be at least 30 or 40% from one season to the beginning of the next, and that if for a new, unused board. 2 to 3 years old? 70% off easy. Used? 3 years old? You shouldn't pay over 150 for that, even if its been ridden only once.

Would the OP fit on a Lib Tech Skunk Ape?
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolhell View Post
Boards depreciate in value THAT much over time? Wow, why is that?
its called saturation.

there are fuckloads of never ridden decks just sitting around in shops and warehouses everyhwhere. Last years new decks never ridden ~$300, barely ridden ~$200, barely ridden more than 1 year old deck ~$100 bucks. It is what is is. You can add $50 for an NS.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

For starters just cause the OP is 7ft doesn't mean his 14 is bigger than anyone else's 14. What it probabaly means though is that he'll be riding a likely maxed out stance width which means he will be standing on the widest point of the board you can. A standard wide board will be no problem.

That TRS is meh and not worth $300. You can find much better NEW boards for that price. Look for anything wide from 163-168.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hey! My 14 is definitely bigger than the rest of yours! D:

Nivek: Thank you for your post - that's exactly the information I was looking for.

snowklinger: Wow all the same. So his old TRS really isn't even worth the shop space it's taking up... burn. Thank you for stopping me from purchasing something stupid.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

7' tall and 180 pounds? Let's forget snowboards for the moment and discuss what types of sammiches you're gonna start eating.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

how the hell are you 7' and only 180 pounds? my friend is 6'4" and 180 and he looks like an absolute stick.

speaking in jest of course!
onefutui2e is offline   Reply With Quote