Board flex - confused - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicusa View Post
Im not sure if you are just kidding around, but the board flexes in different ways when riding. You aren't going to be able to determine a boards flex with a hand flex in your apartment. That's a noob thing that I thought had been put to rest. The board will most likely wind up being plenty stiff for you. Ride it first.
Not kidding around, I actually have no idea how to "test" the stiffness of a board off of the snow. Not really a noob either, but to be honest I haven't spent a ton of time understanding the nuances of gear - I've only had 3 boards in my life and I'd rather be riding anyway!

In any case, it sounds like my little hand flexes aren't the right way to test the board's stiffness. I guess I'll just have to believe the reviews.
omkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 11:39 PM   #12 (permalink)

You should have just got the Never summer Raven.

Its an aggressive board that is stiff then the infinity.

no gussing, same profile, more damp, blunt nose and directional.

Better base then the TRS and better top sheet.

Also cheaper.
24WERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicusa View Post
Im not sure if you are just kidding around, but the board flexes in different ways when riding. You aren't going to be able to determine a boards flex with a hand flex in your apartment. That's a noob thing that I thought had been put to rest. The board will most likely wind up being plenty stiff for you. Ride it first.
+1, what he said.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 01:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24WERD View Post
You should have just got the Never summer Raven.

Its an aggressive board that is stiff then the infinity.
It might be stiffer than the Infinity, but it is not stiffer than the TRS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24WERD View Post
Better base then the TRS and better top sheet.
Not this shit again.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Resident poet

If you are worried about the trs...take it back and get a bpro...cost is the same and will be plenty stiff...really no comparison to your feather or infinity. Bpro is a great off the shelf aggressive inbounds board and if you want more then...perhaps a Venture or the likes. I know lots of gals that have been riding for years, can rip shit up and the bpro is their go to resort board...well respected and tested right here at my little homie hill.

However there are other factors (other than stiffiness) in determining an aggressive board, e.g., side cut, torsional flex and profile.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 12-03-2013 at 03:20 AM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omkitty View Post
Not kidding around, I actually have no idea how to "test" the stiffness of a board off of the snow. Not really a noob either, but to be honest I haven't spent a ton of time understanding the nuances of gear - I've only had 3 boards in my life and I'd rather be riding anyway!

In any case, it sounds like my little hand flexes aren't the right way to test the board's stiffness. I guess I'll just have to believe the reviews.
Hand flex basically tells nothing.

Put masking tape anywhere the bindings will contact the board. Put the bindings on, and on a carpeted surface do some nose and tail presses. Pop an Ollie or two, maybe a 180 if your feeling adventurous.

Move bindings to your Infinity and repeat. This still doesn't capture twisting etc but you should have some indication.

Or just listen to hktrdr, he knows his stuff.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Tough to get a real feel for the on-snow flex of a board without being on the snow. Especially the torsional flex.
This is very true. When I bought my Heritage last year my first thought was that it wasn't any stiffer than my old Burton Bullet. But that was just playing around with it at home. When I got it on the snow, holy shit I couldn't believe the difference. There was simply no comparison between the two boards, and I'm pretty sure it was the torsional flex that made up much of that difference.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

I used to ride an Infinity and for the last 3 years I ride a Roxy Envi-- also a Mervin board like the TRS, also rocker camber. The flex is different than the Infinity. The Envi is smoother riding at speeds. It is good on all conditions. Also it's lighter than the Infinity. I'd say it is just as responsive for quick turns, etc. It has more flex between the bindings than my NS. Great on powder-- I can lift the front of my board with my foot, where on the Infinity I have to lean way back.

I was going to get the Lotus a few years ago and just couldn't find one in local demos. Also I wanted to try magna trax, which I never notice until other people are complaining about icy conditions. I did demo the Lotus last year and found it stiffer-- just not the same torsional flex. Not as lively. The Roxy boards I have are rated about the same stiffness. You might be pleasantly surprised by the TRS.

Here is a link to a review I found online.

(I ride a Roxy Envi for a few years and recently bought a sale Eminence because they don't make the Envi anymore.)
sb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

Thanks all. Sounds like I am just going about "testing" the board wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
maybe a 180 if your feeling adventurous.
I live in a tiny Manhattan apartment, so this should be good
Old 12-03-2013, 07:46 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
If you are worried about the trs...take it back and get a bpro...cost is the same and will be plenty stiff.
I ended up going with the TRS over the b-pro because a local shop here had a 20% off sale this weekend and did not have the b-pro. Otherwise, I was completely torn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
I know lots of gals that have been riding for years, can rip shit up and the bpro is their go to resort board
Just curious - what do you/they ride out of bounds? Going off-piste is my true love... I got a stiffer board partly to *force* myself back on the mountain