Board flex - confused - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board flex - confused

I got a new snowboard yesterday (yay!) and have been manhandling it in my apartment. One of the first things I did when I got home was test the flex of the board (trying to bend the body, etc). I bought the new board (Lib Tech TRS) to add a stiffer, more aggressive board to my selection (my other boards are a Never Summer Infinity and a Burton Feather). While the Feather is definitely the bendiest of the 3 boards, the TRS and Infinity feel almost exactly the same! Am I missing something here? Is there a better way to test stiffness? As much as I like the TRS, I don't need 2 medium-flex boards...

Thanks!
omkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Then why did you buy a TRS? It's a medium flex board. Medium-stiff at most. I rode one awhile back and thought it felt softer than my NS Proto.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Then why did you buy a TRS? It's a medium flex board. Medium-stiff at most. I rode one awhile back and thought it felt softer than my NS Proto.
Everything I have been reading (on this forum and elsewhere) indicates that the TRS is a stiff aggressive board... for women (I am a 5'4, 110 lb girl). Now I am wondering if people are mistaken about the stiffness of the board? I don't really want two medium flex boards, so if I got it wrong, I'd like to try to exchange it for something else.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I definitely wouldn't classify the TRS as stiff, but it should be pretty doggone stiff if you only weigh 110 pounds. Go ride it and see what you think. There's only so much you can tell about flex until you get some bindings on it and get on the snow.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

^^^^^^
The flex of a board is relative to your weight/strength and height.
I see people calling boards stiff tha I think are absolute noodles, but I have more leverage over my board than most people do.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yep. IMO, I thought the TRS felt like a noodle but I only took a couple of runs on it and it was on a day when I was riding my 164 Charlie Slasher, so of course a 158 TRS felt like a noodle in comparison.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hm. Is there any way for me to test the flexibility of the board without riding it? I'm afraid I won't be able to exchange it if I bolt bindings on and take it out. I have my Never Summer Infinity (medium-flex) as comparison. Should I be pushing on it in some specific way?
Old 12-02-2013, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Tough to get a real feel for the on-snow flex of a board without being on the snow. Especially the torsional flex.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

longitudinal stiffness is only part of the equation, torsional flex and camber profile will also play a part. at your start it should be more than stiff enough
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 11:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Im not sure if you are just kidding around, but the board flexes in different ways when riding. You aren't going to be able to determine a boards flex with a hand flex in your apartment. That's a noob thing that I thought had been put to rest. The board will most likely wind up being plenty stiff for you. Ride it first.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote