Women's Freeride Mountain Slayer? Or Buy Men's Board? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastChris View Post
Is Camber/Rocker/Camber pretty much the standard for freeride decks now? I was thinking maybe stay with the flat base or a real gentle camber. I have never ridden a rocker board so it will be interesting to see what it feels like outside the feet.
you should do a demo, CRC boards are looser and more fun to ride, generally easier to turn, and they tend to have a skatey feel, good for slashing around, spinning and so on. Since you have a demo day coming up I suggest you demo a full rocker board to really get a sense of the difference in its most extreme form. Best for the more playful side of snowboarding, nice for turning in trees, and people like rocker over camber for powder and soft snow.

All that said since you're on the east coast where there's lots of crappy conditions, hard pack and ice, combined with your stated bomber riding style the textbook recommendation for you would be to get something that's classic cambered profile to match your riding style and terrain.

You might however find after riding some of the other profiles that you like to ride a little slower, slash and surf and spin around and have fun with it instead of risking life and limb crashing through trees at city driving speeds on your back head first. Kinda like the musical progression of the red hot chili peppers.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #12 (permalink)

Well my Rome is awesome for some slower slash surf and spin. In decent conditions it was brilliant on blue groomers this weekend. Fun board...epitome of playful.

But if I am going out with my bro...who I literally dragged back to the hill with me because I couldn't take one more minute of his mid life crisis....I just cannot be the little sister that's all..."thank for waiting cuz I found some fun shit to jib on the sides."

Straight and fast. At least for a few runs. Maybe not all day. But for a few runs.

Lol..now I am the person everyone's afraid of running into on their hill.

Last edited by EastCoastChris; 12-03-2013 at 09:33 AM.
EastCoastChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned!

210 rad air tanker

here's one by my '54 proto.

/thread
Old 12-03-2013, 09:40 AM   #14 (permalink)

Just looking at that is making me perspire a bit. But at a couple hundred more than a proto....its going to have to have pretty much turn for me
Old 12-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
All that said since you're on the east coast where there's lots of crappy conditions, hard pack and ice, ....
Oh.. uhm... scratch my Flagship comment; replace by Custom X. FS is worth to endure occasional crud if you can ride pow frequently, and not vice versa.

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastChris View Post
Is Camber/Rocker/Camber pretty much the standard for freeride decks now? I was thinking maybe stay with the flat base or a real gentle camber. I have never ridden a rocker board so it will be interesting to see what it feels like outside the feet.
I'd say that RCR is more the main staple of freeriders at the moment. What's your budget? For bombing (and yes I've been on all coasts and the conditions really aren't THAT different), you want something stiffer, longer and with as much effective edge as possible.

Look at specs for boards that are 159-160 cm, and you'll see that many have effective edges in the 118-123 range, better ones have effective edges in the 123-130 cm range, and then there are a few odd ducks in the 130+ range.

Also, longer sidecut radius will mean more stability at speed. Most boards are in the 8m sidecut range. That's great for playing around, but not for bombing. BX boards are around 12-14m sidcut radius, and race boards can be near 20. If you want to move FAST you've got to get a board that's designed for it!

Most off the shelf boards really are very similar to each other...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
210 rad air tanker

/thread
~190 cm of effective edge!!!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:48 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I'd say that RCR is more the main staple of freeriders at the moment. What's your budget? For bombing (and yes I've been on all coasts and the conditions really aren't THAT different), you want something stiffer, longer and with as much effective edge as possible.

Look at specs for boards that are 159-160 cm, and you'll see that many have effective edges in the 118-123 range, better ones have effective edges in the 123-130 cm range, and then there are a few odd ducks in the 130+ range.

Also, longer sidecut radius will mean more stability at speed. Most boards are in the 8m sidecut range. That's great for playing around, but not for bombing. BX boards are around 12-14m sidcut radius, and race boards can be near 20. If you want to move FAST you've got to get a board that's designed for it!

Most off the shelf boards really are very similar to each other...
Been waiting when you and your Virus will make an appearance on this thread, heh.
Noreaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #19 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noreaster View Post
Been waiting when you and your Virus will make an appearance on this thread, heh.
Na, not the virus, but the Prior

BTW: yes, I know, kettle pot a.s.o

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale

Last edited by neni; 12-03-2013 at 10:58 AM.
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #20 (permalink)

Whoops. Thats what I meant. Rocker Camber Rocker. Camber being between the feet obviously.

Cool. Good info on effective edge and side cut. Much appreciated.

I guess I'm not looking specifically to "go fast" like some kind of F1 speed junkie. But I want to hit the steepest stuff we have with the straightest lines I can maintain. Not just take the line but eat it alive like fucking Pac Man type aggressive. Not like super pretty carving (although that is a glorious time too.) Speed is just a byproduct of that. So I need the thing to be stable and damp and not launch me off stuff I don't see. Lol.