Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Women's Freeride Mountain Slayer? Or Buy Men's Board? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/108633-womens-freeride-mountain-slayer-buy-mens.html)

EastCoastChris 12-03-2013 07:44 AM

Women's Freeride Mountain Slayer? Or Buy Men's Board?

So I was up in VT enjoying an extremely good early season with my brother who is just as good as the day he hung up his tools 15 years ago. Trying to build his confidence some on his 2nd day back, I told him we were gonna hit the double black that was open. The more he kept up, the faster I went and the faster he went and so on until I totally blew the landing off a roller (steep one) and epic scorped into the woods at 37 MPH.

I need a big, damp, freeride all mountain rip stick. I need it to do two things: point downhill and go fast.

All of a sudden I'm that 14 year old kid again tying to keep up with her big brother. Love my poppy Rome 148 but you just feel everything on it. Fun ride but unstable at higher speeds. Don't need a full powder board, I'm on the east coast.

Bro is on an old Billy Goat now. I want something like that. Can y'all throw out some names? I'm overwhelmed.

neni 12-03-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastChris (Post 1301753)
I need a big, damp, freeride all mountain rip stick. I need it to do two things: point downhill and go fast.

Straight n fast?
Do I really have to say it? :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastChris (Post 1301753)
All of a sudden I'm that 14 year old kid again tying to keep up with her big brother.

Haha, that made me smile. I know this feeling well. Other boards might work as well, for me the Flagship was the solution of the "problem". Worth to demo one.

EastCoastChris 12-03-2013 08:03 AM

Oh sweet...the Jones. Is that a "mens" board?

You are on the 158 yeah? I'm a bit shorter and heavier than you. But I can try in and around that range. See what it feels like.

Cool cool cool. Demo days are coming up at the hill we were just at. I will make sure Jones will be there :)

Ahh...Ok I see they do a 154, 158 and 161. I used to ride a 152 back in the day and loved it. Maybe a 154? I'll try both out.

Riley212 12-03-2013 08:16 AM

Gnu b-pro, never summer raven, nitro victoria are you best options for womens boards.

guys boards issue is mostly in the width, if you can get one in the 24 cm width range it will probably work. like the capita nas is a fast board for a good price and is narrow

The new billy goat is also a pretty narrow board, might be really stiff tho

neni 12-03-2013 08:43 AM

Yes, men's board. The women's Jones equivalent would be the Mothership. Only did some laps with that one, felt significantly softer. Unluckily the run was not long and steep enough to really get nice speed, so I can't say if it's as stable as the Flagship going straight.

No particular reason why I have a 158. It was the size I had on a demo day, felt fine with and ordered. FWIW, weight range for the '13 was pretty wide: 110-178lbs, IIRC it was the same for the 156. Interestingly, for the '14, I haven't found weight ranges anymore :dunno: I ride with an app. 21-22in stance and use the center inserts.

Lamps 12-03-2013 09:09 AM

Boarder cross setup?

Kessler-Canada

The one above can use soft boots. Don't tell your brother till you're on the hill and blowing past him. Swiss miss with her forward stance would I'm sure rock that puppy.

Burton custom X?

Burton fortress - out of production but would fit the bill.

EastCoastChris 12-03-2013 09:12 AM

Is Camber/Rocker/Camber pretty much the standard for freeride decks now? I was thinking maybe stay with the flat base or a real gentle camber. I have never ridden a rocker board so it will be interesting to see what it feels like outside the feet.

wrathfuldeity 12-03-2013 09:15 AM

155 bpro will be a bit more relaxed/playful

Be like brah...get a 156 billygoat c3 for bombing groomers or c2 for eating up natty terrain. Goat loves to charge the fall line.

Noreaster 12-03-2013 09:22 AM

Nooo. Not the Jones. Not here. And forget NS boards either, they're damp but don't handle serious ice well. Something with MT, medium stiff. Sometimes I think that B-pro should be the official board of Northeast.

EastCoastChris 12-03-2013 09:22 AM

Hahaha. Yeah man...playful is how I bailed so hard in the first place. Fuck playful. I ain't playin now.

The only thing I want my board popping off of is cliffs.