Old School in need of New School advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 01:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Old School in need of New School advice

First off I'd like to say hello to everyone. Been lurking here forever and final decided to take the sign up plunge because I'm in need of a little board selection help.

Rider Stats
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 165 Lbs
Shoe Size: 9.5-10
Budget: Doesn't matter
Location: Southeast, mostly North Carolina with a few trips to Snowshoe WV.

I've only ridden 2 boards in my entire 20 years of riding, first lasted me 14 years, and old 153 Burton A Twin and I've been riding a 156 Custom X since about 2006. The leap in tech was huge between the 2 boards, really refreshed my riding experience.

My riding style as of late has been all mountain, but it could be the board dictating that, and that's what most of my friends are doing, very rarely do we hit the park anymore. I'm getting older now and don't quite bounce back as well as I used to.

Big air really isn't found in my neck of the woods although I'm very comfortable launching off whatever I find. I don't play on rails and boxes much although I would if I came across more, those didn't even exist when I started out. I ride from the top to the bottom and hit whatever I can find, be it natural features (this is big for me, I look at the natural terrain for difficulty so I tend to ride over what normal people might avoid), little kickers, fresh powder on the edges of groomed, little tree runs, maybe a park run if it's convenient to my line. At this point after having sex with the mountain for 20 years, anything that can spice up the trail is nice. I will straight air, 180-360 off of just about anything I can find.

With that in mind I have found I like a more surfy feel to snowboarding and with the Mrs. now starting to snowboard I need to slow it down a bit and enjoy and play with the terrain more instead of the bullet the Custom X tends to be. I'd like to work on some butter skills so I will need some flex (I see this as a great area to expand on cause the risk vs reward seems minimal for a body that's been beat up by years of extreme sports).

Having ridden only traditional board profiles, these rocker and hybrids seem to be what I may be looking for. I'm holding on to the Custom X, because I believe its a great board but I'm looking for something different. If it can
handle powder on the rare east coast day that would be a plus, because I do not have a powder board and so far my experiences with the X in powder have been lacking. Boards that have caught my eye during my research are:

Length would be anything 156 or close to it.

Lib Tech Skate Banana (will an advanced rider be disappointed by it's limitations?)
Lib Tech Attack Banana
Lib Tech Black Magic
Never Winter Proto HD (leaning this way)
Never Winter SL
Gnu Rider's Choice
K2 Happy Hour
Lib Tech TRS/Travis Rice (afraid this will be too similar to the Custom X)

And certainly I would be open to any other suggestions. I'm shying away from Burton boards as I really don't like the channel system they have gone to (and I've really begun to question the quality of their bindings having destroyed several pairs of missions)

Sorry for the long read, but more information is always better than less when it comes to board decisions. Can you help an old guy out?

Thanks.
sclogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 09:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well, picked up a Rome Garage Rocker and a pair of Rome Boss 390s for $270 shipped. Figure for that price, I don't have much into it should I not like it. Had to move fast as the Cyber Monday deals were drying up.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Long time camber rider myself, had ridden no other shape untill last season. It was very interesting to demo different hybrid shapes. Ended up with two camber hybrids; they do the trick for charging groomers and riding pow for me. If you have the chance, it's worth to demo some different hybrids.

Can't comment on the boards, don't know them and I'm not riding your level/style (ol' gal worrying for her bones, keeping base well in contact with the snow )

Just wanted to say and give a little bump (bit surprised by the lack of answers... )

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Appreciate the comments. I can understand keeping the boardin contact with the snow as much as possible, I've been reluctantly moving in that direction the past few years. Unforunately demo days are few and far between in the Southeast so board shopping is often a leap of faith. The garage rocker has a rocker-flat-rocker profile so I think it will be a nice intro to the rocker design, and if all else fails I'll have a more forgiving loaner board that my old camber decks.
Old 12-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That is a good profile. You'll have crazy float in powder. Hopefully you get some.

I like rocker between the feet too. Boards with that design just pivot so easily. You can turn on a dime. Some complain about straightlining them. I don't really have a problem. With a board that turns that easily though I guess I can see their point. Never Summer and Lib seem to be the ones using it the most. The camber outside of the bindings digs in when you power into turns as does the rocker between the feet. So you actually get pretty good grip. Of course as soon as you let up that contact is gone too and you are back to loosey goosey. Which is great in powder. Just takes some getting used to. Just like any of the profiles.

Rocker between the feet profiles are also excellent for spring slush. You can ride them so that base contact is minimal creating less drag. May not be super fun if it is really wet but you'll cruise better than with a flat or cambered base. If all other things are equal.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:24 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure the rocker on that board is at the tip and tail and its flat between the feet.

I've never ridden that board but I've ridden a women's Rome that is very similar to it flex and pop wise. It won't be super stable at high, high speeds - but its a super FUN playful board for sure.

Realistically, if you are in the southeast - I imagine you have a lot more days playing on boxes rather than shredding double blacks compared to the guy who rides at Kirkwood every weekend. You'll have a bunch o' fun on that board. You'll be buttering all the way down the mountain.
EastCoastChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes the southeast really is limited as far as terrain, you have to make the best of it for sure. Looks like a made a decent choice.

Man these 2013 deals are great, picked up a K2 Raygun for the little lady while I was at it, should be much easier for her to progress on that than my 20 year old Burton.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Swiss Miss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclogger View Post
...and with the Mrs. now starting to snowboard I need to slow it down a bit and enjoy and play with the terrain more instead of the bullet the Custom X tends to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclogger View Post
Man these 2013 deals are great, picked up a K2 Raygun for the little lady while I was at it, should be much easier for her to progress on that than my 20 year old Burton.
good guy, good idea

The average human has one breast and one testicle ~ Des McHale
neni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, I meant I also like rocker between the feet. I wasn't commenting on the profile of the board purchased. I can see how it was read otherwise. My bad.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Even though you've ruled out burton consider the antler, would be a great complement to your custom x. Surfy playful board, easy to butter and spin.

And stop smashing up missions and try some cartels on the Cx, would be a good match.

It sounds to me like you're taking a top end board towards the top end of performance with low end binders, might be too much to ask of them.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote