My first board. Purchase online or at stores? Advise? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 12:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
Chickenrice

Default My first board. Purchase online or at stores? Advise?

I tried snowboarding my first time in Jan 08, and i fell in love with the sport.
Live in Los Angeles, and since the weather's been getting cold (a storm came a week before Christmas!), snows up! Time to get to the mountains!
Closest is Mount Baldy and Big Bear, or Yosemite.

I'm ready to invest in one, gonna use it a lot.
I'm still a beginner, but i can see myself getting really into it. (Maybe stunts in the future?)

My question to you pros is, where should i buy my first board?
Stores? (Sport Chalet, Big 5, local skate/snow board stores)
or maybe stores up in the mountains where theres snow? Will they be slashing prices to encourage quick purchases to clear stock?

or online?
Don't worry, i did my homework. I saw a few threads in the forums about recommended sites.
And i've been reading on what to look out for when buying your first board. There are even Youtube videos too for those of you in the same boat as me.

And if possible, it'll be awesome if some of you could let me know an estimate of how much i should spend.
Will need board, bindings, goggles.
Already have boots and clothes.

This is a great site!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 01:23 AM   #2 (permalink)
junkie28

Welcome to the Snowboarding Forums! You've come to the right place. I think first of all you should learn about what snowboards you think you might be interested in, Free-style or Freeride, post your weight, show size, and budget on your first board.

I don't think you should shop your board at places like Big 5 or Sports Authority, as they have some crappy boards like Lamar, 247, Santa Cruz. Go check out your local ski and snowboard shop, ask the saleperson what they recommend, then go home and do your research. Jot down a couple of choices, and we can help narrow down a couple more boards towards your preference. Then shop online, and go back to your local snowboard shop, see what they have. Usually it's cheaper to shop online, but local shops may give you a pricematch to the price online as they don't want to lose business because of it. Also local shops are a plus if you have any problems with the board, and is the place to go to for your snowboard needs.

You can probably get last years snowboard for half off at local shops or online if they're still around at this time (it's getting to be well into the season though), they're trying to clear out their older stock. Boards usually get discounted around March or April (2 of my friends got Rome Agents for half off, which is a great all-mountain free-style board).

For a first board you may want to get a all-mountain board, unless you know you want to go free-ride or park all the way. Also a slightly shorter board may allow you to learn faster, give you more control of the board in turning; but you can jump to the perfect size and do just fine as your progress.

A good price range for a snowboard is $200-$400, top of the line boards peaking at like $600-$800.
bindings $80-$200 (Rome 390 and Union Force are great choices)
goggles $30-$80, though some can range from $100-$200 (cooler designs, and tech behind the goggles)

Well good luck!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
BCsnowboardchik

Boots: The most important piece of gear by far. Try em on in the store, it's ok to go with cheaper boots as well (in fact probably better, for learning you want comfort/flexibility over performance), but make sure they fit properly! So, at least try em in a store and find a better price online if you want.

For your first board a cheapy from Sports Authority is ok, but right now stores are hurtin' online or local shops probably have some nicer clearance stuff super cheap. For your first board you'll probably want to stay below the $200 range. If you narrow down some boards based on your riding we can probably give more help.... but I noticed there's some pretty hot deals here Evo Outlet Salez
Old 01-01-2009, 02:29 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

online you can almost always get better deals, or you can support your local economy which cant hurt. i bought all my first stuff used and its something i would reccomend because you can trash it pretty good..
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
SnowFuLuke

Make sure you try before you buy! A lot of shops in resorts have demo boards. I bought with out trying and now everytime I go to the mountains I'm in shops trying demos driving myself crazy because I'm not sure if I bought the right board.

Maybe its because I just boarding shops