Wrathfuldeity, teach me the Billy Goat Split please! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2013, 07:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Wrathfuldeity, teach me the Billy Goat Split please!

Ok, so the splitting bug has grabbed me hard and I thought I was set on the NS SL Split, but NS is just way to much $$ up here at my local shop. So there is a 159cm Billy Goat that I can get the bro price on and she is starting to look really fine. I will be riding it in and around Nelson, BC until the foreseeable future, which basically means endless fluffy snow! I heard the profile of the board does not skin well on hard or icy conditions, but we don't get that up here so I think I should be fine..... nothing crampons won't fix any ways. Wrath, I have gone back and found a few of your posts regarding the board, but was hoping you could clear some stuff up for me. You have spoken about how it loves to charge the "fall line", I am unsure of what that means exactly....sorry. I also believe in your review you said that the board was nimble, will it be good in the trees? I would say 80% of my riding will be in semi-technical terrain consisting of glades to tight trees, small drops and the odd pillow line. Any info you could provide me would be greatly appreciated!

On the same subject-ish I can get the same bro price on some sparks and I am leaning towards the Magento's. Anyone seen the Tesla system yet? Gimmick, awesome? My local shop won't have them in until early next week.

As always, thank you everyone for your great help and advice!

If anyone wants my specs:

31yrs old

158lbs, no gear

5'11"

Size 9 boots
atr3yu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have the 159 c2btx snowboard from 2012 which should be almost the same as the split.

The split has a different base then the board . Its TNT

Also if it is current year then its c2btx not c3 like the regular board.

On the fall line thing. once the nose points downhill the flex of the board gets faster as it goes. it accelerates carrying speed.

Its nimble around trees b/c its softer torsional and stiffer front to back or longitudinally.

basically it very fast and mobile taking out all the bumps.
24WERD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Resident poet

Yes it’s basically what 24werd notes above. I think what makes the Billy goat nimble and agile is the torsional flex in that it twisty and thus the nose does not like to be perpendicular or transverse of the fall line. Which they effect is the nose really loves to be within 45° or less in the fall line; the result is the board just wants to flow the fall line. Also the torsional looseness flexs with the terrain and kind of eats it up. I had to get used to letting the go of the reigns and kind of let the goat run its course and not fight it so much... Then once I understood this and mentally able to keep ahead the board almost takes care of the riding and I try to manage staying on top of the thing. Definitely fun a ride how it flows... Also when going off small for me natural terrain hits the torsional flex absorbs that in perfections of the landings and it makes the board feel very sure footed.
As for the Sparks, hopefully my afterburners will be arriving this week gurrr. And yes I did order crampons to remedy any of the skinning issues.
For your size and weight I would imagine the 159 will be perfect for your snow.

I am at 180 pounds and for really deep days the 162 would be better but for my purposes I think that 159 works pretty well for me I can ride about knee to thigh deep if there’s some bottom and it works just fine for the heavy poo.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 12-03-2013 at 09:33 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Yes it’s basically what 24werd notes above. I think what makes the Billy goat nimble and agile is the torsional flex in that it twisty and thus the nose does not like to be perpendicular or transverse of the fall line. Which they effect is the nose really loves to be within 45° or less in the fall line; the result is the board just wants to flow the fall line. Also the torsional looseness flexs with the terrain and kind of eats it up. I had to get used to letting the go of the reigns and kind of let the goat run its course and not fight it so much... Then once I understood this and mentally able to keep ahead the board almost takes care of the riding and I try to manage staying on top of the thing. Definitely fun a ride how it flows... Also when going off small for me natural terrain hits the torsional flex absorbs that in perfections of the landings and it makes the board feel very sure footed.
As for the Sparks, hopefully my afterburners will be arriving this week gurrr. And yes I did order crampons to remedy any of the skinning issues.

I am at 180 pounds and for really deep days the 162 would be better but for my purposes I think that 159 works pretty well for me I can ride about knee to thigh deep if there’s some bottom and it works just fine for the heavy poo.
Sick bro! Thank for that so much! Fuck it i am going to go grab it tomorrow and join the club. I'll let you how it goes as I ride it.

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old 12-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post

Thank you as well very much so!

Sent from Verticalsports.com Free App
Old 12-05-2013, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ohhhhh shit!

I am still waiting for the bindings (Spark Magnetos) to arrive which should be early next week. I will still have to get the pucks and skins as well, which won't happen until after the 20th. Maybe I'll take her our for her first day on x-mas. So far my only question is since there is clearly no reference points, is there still a preferable place to put the bindings to properly take advantage of the side cut etc?? Any ways I am so fucking stoked I can't wait!

Last edited by atr3yu; 12-05-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atr3yu View Post
Ohhhhh shit!

I am still waiting for the bindings (Spark Magnetos) to arrive which should be early next week. I will still have to get the pucks and skins as well, which won't happen until after the 20th. Maybe I'll take her our for her first day on x-mas. So far my only question is since there is clearly no reference points, is there still a preferable place to put the bindings to properly take advantage of the side cut etc?? Any ways I am so fucking stoked I can't wait!
looks nice.

for a 6 hole pattern, you can choose either of the inner 2 sets as reference by preference (as I understand it, unless this board is special in that way).
Old 12-05-2013, 06:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

With the rocker I find that an insert or two back from centered is all I choose to do. The BG has a set back already does it not?

Heh, everyone is waiting on their Teslas to ship this week.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Nice choice. I love my new Billygoat (non-split). I have not been out on it enough to warrant a decent review on here though. Cheers!
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
Resident poet

iirc, there is a setback, set mine as usual.

Awaiting afterburners, yesterday, the shop said they got notice they should be arriving soon; and that the second production run is sold out...done for this year. Thus SOL unless you find some setting on a shelf...better grab them.