Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   "Hot Scrape" (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/108849-hot-scrape.html)

Caffeine 12-03-2013 09:27 PM

"Hot Scrape"

Hey guys

Just a few questions about performing a "hot scrape" on my board. Can I use regular all weather wax or do I need dedicated base prep wax? How exactly do I go about doing a hot scrape? Just wax it on and then scrape it while it's still warm?

Cheers.

linvillegorge 12-03-2013 09:29 PM

Just use the cheapest wax you have. Yep, scrape it while it's still warm.

Caffeine 12-03-2013 09:35 PM

Ok sounds good. May I ask how effective a hot scrape is at removing dirt and crud?

linvillegorge 12-03-2013 09:38 PM

It's the only way I clean my boards. Better than any base cleaner I've tried.

hoqay 12-03-2013 09:49 PM

linvillegorge, do you iron the whole board and then scrape all at once, or do you do it in smaller sections? I ask because I feel like by the time I'm done ironing the whole board, a lot of the wax has cooled significantly (or at least to the point where it not very warm to the touch).

ARSENALFAN 12-03-2013 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoqay (Post 1304705)
linvillegorge, do you iron the whole board and then scrape all at once, or do you do it in smaller sections? I ask because I feel like by the time I'm done ironing the whole board, a lot of the wax has cooled significantly (or at least to the point where it not very warm to the touch).

Good question.

bseracka 12-03-2013 09:52 PM

effective, that's why it's considered the best way to do it

Mystery2many 12-03-2013 10:02 PM

Unless your a slalom racer, what benefits does a normal snowboarder gain from a hot scrape? Changing to a different temp wax? :dunno:

I've never done one. I just hot drip then heat the whole thing up real good and scrape after completely cooled then brush.

I'm curious to know what one would gain from that extra step!

Caffeine 12-03-2013 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystery2many (Post 1304729)
Unless your a slalom racer, what benefits does a normal snowboarder gain from a hot scrape? Changing to a different temp wax? :dunno:

I've never done one. I just hot drip then heat the whole thing up real good and scrape after completely cooled then brush.

I'm curious to know what one would gain from that extra step!

Looking at videos of a hot scrape, it is evident that it removes a lot of dirt and grime. Seems like a good idea to get this dirt and grime out.

Caffeine 12-03-2013 10:16 PM

I am just going to add this in here. I also heard using a brush with some sort of metal in it was a good idea to do after hot scraping to get any old wax or dirt out the scraper didn't get. My question is won't brushing a metal brush over your base damage it? If not what would you guys recommend as a alternative to buying a "official" brush? I already saved on my regular brush by buying a cheap one at the supermarket...what would be a cheaper option for a copper or steel brush?