New Gear in the post!!! few questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
pandamonia

Default New Gear in the post!!! few questions

Hi,

After 2 seasons in the alps using rental board and bindings, i've finally bought my first board.

Ive always rode SL9 boots and now ill be matching that with a Burton Custom X 156 and Burton P1.1 SZ bindings.

I ride Freeride all mountain intermediate/advanced, mix of speed and few jumps. mostly on piste with a bit of off for variety.

question is around board maintenance and how often it should be hot waxed during a trip to the alps for 6 days. also maintaining a sharp edge for the whole trip.

seen a few of these demon all maintenence kits with all kinds of files and edge grinders, are these worth buying and taking with?

thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 01:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i have demon wax it works fine for me..nothin special, wax is wax though...
jmacphee9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
pandamonia

i meant the all in one kits that come with an iron and wax and files and other tuning stuff
Old 01-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
junkie28

Dunno about the Demon Kit.

Waxing is pretty personal, and depends on the condition. Icy, man-made snow, more often 1-3 days. Powder 5-10 days. If you're going straight 6 days, I think 1 wax before you go is fine, wax it afterwards, unless the snow condition is horrible and icy, throw in a wax if you really have the time, but I would just do it after.

Tuning, tune when it gets dull, also condition dependant. Frequent riding, tune it once a month. Take out nicks and stuff if you run into rocks, etc, quick sharpen.

Some people say kits have all the extra stuff you might not be using, it is maybe cheaper if you buy items that you think you would be using. But if you just want to buy everything in one go, and the kit is easy available for you, just get it (comes in a nice bag with everything in it).

The thing is kits may not have professional precision tools for beveling or real sharpening; so from what I read, you would still want to consider taking it to a shop to do a tune up once a season.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
pandamonia

Cool thanks!

ill take it to the mountian first see how i get on, think its about 20-25 for a tune up in the shop there.