Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Setting up first board (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/108921-setting-up-first-board.html)

FrootStick 12-04-2013 09:05 AM

Setting up first board

Hi all

So I have just got my board and bindings.
It's pretty clear how they screw on so I'm good with that.
But how do I work out how far apart and the angles to set them to?

I have mine and my partners to set up, so I don't want to stuff it up.

Thanks

trapper 12-04-2013 09:10 AM

I just set mine up initially to my natural athletic stance and tweaked it from there. Figure out what that is, and it's a good start for your stance width. Angles are a bit trickier depending on what kind of riding you want to do. I started mine out a +12, 0 and adjusted it from there over time. It's mostly personal preference and what you are comfortable with.

One way to figure athletic stance: stand on the lowest step of a set of stairs with both feet (about shoulder width apart) facing the floor. Close your eyes and just take an easy, natural hop down. Measure the width of your landing stance center foot to center foot. Do it a few times to get an approximate average.

Oldman 12-04-2013 09:45 AM

Assuming you have established whether you are regular or goofy:

Even if your board is "set back" I would suggest you center your bindings on your board.

After you have established your stance width ( generally 20 to 22 inches from center to center of your bindings ) measure from the tip to the middle of your front binding and then do the same from the tail to the center of your back binding. Make sure the measurement is the same.

If you are riding a true twin, this ensures you are riding in the middle of the board. If you are on a board with a built in "set back" you can play with that after you get comfortable on your new board.

Stance Angles are a really, really personal thing, but generally a good place to start is a "Duck Stance" of about + 12 & - 12.

neni 12-04-2013 09:52 AM

With some bindings you won't be able to adjust the position of the toe straps, and the length of binding anymore when they're fixated on the board. Check first to avoid to have to take them off again.

poutanen 12-04-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrootStick (Post 1305809)
I have mine and my partners to set up, so I don't want to stuff it up.

Assuming you've boarded before, were you always on rentals? If so, did you happen to see what angles they set them up at? Telling you our angles isn't going to help, as everyone is different.

FWIW, I usually start by setting the board up at reference stance width (most boards ref is around 21" or so), and for a noob I would suggest a relaxed duck stance. -6 on the back foot and +12 on the front or so. Ride for a day and then adjust from there!

FrootStick 12-04-2013 06:19 PM

Well only ever ride for one day.
I am a beginner and we just bought all our gear so we have it for future trips also.
I have just bought burton mission bindings and have the 3d pattern. So not the channel.

Our stances are definitely regular. We know that much.

So the width sounds like it needs to be between 20"-22"
It's just the angles that are a little confusing.

JPOW 12-04-2013 06:27 PM

You're probably gonna be adjusting them when you're on the mountain. Just do what feels comfortable (standing on it of course), and bring a screwdriver with you to the mountain.. believe me you'll probably adjust them.. I did a lot

24WERD 12-04-2013 08:06 PM

shoulder width apart and just go 15 and 0 or -3.

cav0011 12-04-2013 09:14 PM

Yeah I find that when setting up a person that is new about 1 inch wider then shoulder width and 15,-12 or -6 is where they are comfy to start. I personally use a 23 inch stance and 15,-15 but I am 6'3" and ride true twins almost exclusively. My wife rides with 15,-5 and loves it, I tell you all this to illustrate that you really cant get it right without experimenting.

neni 12-05-2013 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPOW (Post 1307529)
and bring a screwdriver with you to the mountain.. believe me you'll probably adjust them.. I did a lot

+1
E.g. Dakine or Tokko pocket screwdriver