Fairly new to snowboaring... question time! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Way2Serious

Default Fairly new to snowboaring... question time!

Hey guys, first off I just wanna say how glad I am that a site like this exists. I've only just found it today and already have learned a lot that I didn't know before.

So here's my quick info: I'm 17, 6ft, 150lbs. My board and bindings I received as a Christmas present last year. I've used them maybe 6 times or so snowboarding but I still consider myself a beginner. I'm not too sure if the board fits me or not, especially having nothing to compare it to since I've never used anything else. On the board I've found the numbers 264, 45 and 163. I'm assuming those are waist width range, board width(?), and board length. Using the online calculator it says they recommend me to be 253 waist width and 159 length.

Now onto my questionnaire:

-Am I correct in the numbers I found on the board?

-What does "waist width range" mean?

-Is riding a bigger board going to hugely impact my riding?

-Should my toes be slightly touching the end of my boots? (Found mixed info on this..)

-Should my boots be tied fairly tight? Should my bindings be on as tight as I can get them?

-I get strong pains in the front portion of my ankles and literally have to ride off to the side and take a 5-10 minute break. What could be causing this? Could it be that I tie my boots and bindings too tight?

-Think I should rent board and boots that better fit me for when I go next time?

Well sorry for the huge wall of text, but thanks a ton for taking the time to help me out here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Riding a smaller board will just mean you have more control and can turn easier, but less stability at high speed/carving/powder which you probably aren't too concerned about now.

When you bend your knees like you're initiating a turn your toes should move away from the end of the boots, generally a rule of thumb is your toes should be touching the end when you're standing up straight and not touching when you bend (provided you've seated your ankle back appropriately).

If you're getting cramping, loosen your boots considerably, your bindings should also be snug so your foot doesn't move but they don't have to be cranked down to max by any means.
#1 cause of foot pain is usually cutting off circulation because boots are too tight, too small or just done up too tight.

Yes trying a smaller board via rental would be a smart idea, at 150 pounds you can go shorter then 159 quite easily.
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
tands05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Way2Serious View Post
Hey guys, first off I just wanna say how glad I am that a site like this exists. I've only just found it today and already have learned a lot that I didn't know before.

So here's my quick info: I'm 17, 6ft, 150lbs. My board and bindings I received as a Christmas present last year. I've used them maybe 6 times or so snowboarding but I still consider myself a beginner. I'm not too sure if the board fits me or not, especially having nothing to compare it to since I've never used anything else. On the board I've found the numbers 264, 45 and 163. I'm assuming those are waist width range, board width(?), and board length. Using the online calculator it says they recommend me to be 253 waist width and 159 length.

Now onto my questionnaire:

-Am I correct in the numbers I found on the board?

-What does "waist width range" mean?

-Is riding a bigger board going to hugely impact my riding?

-Should my toes be slightly touching the end of my boots? (Found mixed info on this..)

-Should my boots be tied fairly tight? Should my bindings be on as tight as I can get them?

-I get strong pains in the front portion of my ankles and literally have to ride off to the side and take a 5-10 minute break. What could be causing this? Could it be that I tie my boots and bindings too tight?

-Think I should rent board and boots that better fit me for when I go next time?

Well sorry for the huge wall of text, but thanks a ton for taking the time to help me out here!
Get a board in the 154-156 Range...You will find it much easier to intitiate turns and so your learning curve will be shorter.
Old 01-01-2009, 06:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
dewdrop

About the ankle pains, are your socks scrunched up or folded up? I know that the first time I went snowboarding I folded/scruched up my socks and had the same pains. Once you unroll them the pain goes away.
Hope that helps.