Board Recommendation - Intermediate Rider - Berzerker or Wild Life? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board Recommendation - Intermediate Rider - Berzerker or Wild Life?

Weight: 195 pounds
Height: 6 feet
Boot size: 10 US
Riding style: Groomers, mostly going down hill, taking jumps once a while (small)
budget: best bang:buck...under 300$ ideally
Ride around the hills of Ottawa

I have been riding off and on for about 10 years...I am comfortable with green and blue, some blacks are still too much to handle, but I am good with most of them...I link turns well and consider myself an intermediate level rider...I find the most find in going down blue's and green's since I can relax and just enjoy the ride...I go off small jumps once in a while, I don't bother with the park...based on the reading I've done I think I am best suited for an all mountain board

I am looking at a last year's model boards to save some $...US or CDN stores, it's fine

I am leaning towards either a Ride Wild Life or a Berzerker...I am worried the berzerker will be too much board for me, but I also want the best board

within my budget that I will enjoy and won't find too stiff. I am leaning towards a 161 sized board (Not wide), since that's what I am on now and I find it a good size. If I had to guess, I would say I prefer a softer feeling boarding.

The 2013 berzerker is currently on sale for 280 at the-house
The 2013 wild Life is 240ish

I've only even ridden hand me down boards, and currently on my 3rd board which is a Nitro Titan 64...I don't recall what the previous ones were

So having said that, can anyone confirm/deny that the berzerker is too much board for me?
Is the Wild Life the better fit?
Is there any other boards that I should consider while doing my research? (I don't care which brand)

Also I am still unclear about whether or not I need a Wide board or not since I am a size 10 boot.

Honestly I find this overwhelming, I've spent the last few nights researching boards and the more info I come across, the harder the decision seems to be, so any feedback is appreciated
toned is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Born'n'Raised. MAUI, HAWAII...currently passing through Cali

Well I don't feel comfortable commenting about if this specific boards are suited well for you but I do know that you don't need a wide board... Im also a size 10 boot... widest board in my quiver is a trice HP which is considered a med/wide board... 25.8 if my memory is correct...
CERBERUS.lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

You won't need a wide with size 10 boots. Bezerker is more aggressive/stiffer/more pop than the wild life. If you prefer something softer to cruise groomers on, wild life would be better but I think you could handle either given your experience. Just depends on your personal preference.
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i would say wild life all the way, the berzerker is overkill.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Capita BSOD, Burton Custom X, NS Heritage
P@ve1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P@ve1 View Post
Capita BSOD, Burton Custom X, NS Heritage
He specifically said under $300...

Checkout evo.com outlet. They have some good deals on last year model boards. Ive linked one that you may want to consider.

Don't get a wide board. Look for 158-161 in length.

Rome Factory Rocker Snowboard 2013 | evo outlet
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:22 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for everyone's replies! based on the two above boards, the wild life seems to be the better suited one, thanks!

kaborkian, thanks for the recommendation, from what I can tell, it fits the bill to a T as well, but the camber throws me off, as I'm not sure how it will affect the feel of the board

so on that note, not having the ability to ride either, how does one pick? just go with what they think they'll like and see?

I have no idea how different that rome would ride compared to the wild life

too many decisions here, or maybe I am just over complicating it
Old 12-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by toned View Post
Weight: 195 pounds
Height: 6 feet
Boot size: 10 US
Riding style: Groomers, mostly going down hill, taking jumps once a while (small)
budget: best bang:buck...under 300$ ideally
Ride around the hills of Ottawa
As opposed to riding uphill?!?

Take a look at ASOGEAR they're based in Ontario and shipping is free. This is Corbetts discount store, frequently selling last years stuff for cheaper. If you're on a budget, it makes sense to get last years stuff if you can...

Also, don't be scared of camber. It's become sort of a bad word these days! OH NO, CAMBER MEANS I'LL CATCH AN EDGE!!! No, poor technique means you will catch an edge, and camber isn't a bandaid solution for poor technique.

/rant

Last edited by poutanen; 12-05-2013 at 10:03 AM. Reason: edited for clarity
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:10 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toned View Post
...maybe I am just over complicating it
Probably. I ride a 12/13 Wild Life, and as a beginner/intermediate rider (~15 days total, 185 lb) I haven't found myself wishing it was stiffer. That said, I'm in BC and ride the soft stuff if at all possible, so YMMV.
cerebroside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
As opposed to riding uphill?!?

Take a look at ASOGEAR they're based in Ontario and shipping is free. This is Corbetts discount store, frequently selling last years stuff for cheaper. If you're on a budget, it makes sense to get last years stuff if you can...

Also, don't be scared of camber. It's become sort of a bad word these days! OH NO, CAMBER MEANS I'LL CATCH AN EDGE!!! No, poor technique means you will catch an edge, and camber isn't a bandaid solution for poor technique.

/rant
hahaha it was late give me a break

Thanks I'll check out that store!

It's not so much scared of camber, as much as it is not know how specific cambers will affect me, so playing it safe is well the 'safe' way (traditional)