Take dog backcountry? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2007, 02:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Default Take dog backcountry?

Ok well for starters I'm only calling it backcountry because there isn't a ski lift or designated run but it's Loveland pass here in Colorado. You hitchhike up the pass maybe a few miles, get dropped off and can either hike or just put your board on and ride but at the very most you may get a 10 minute ride going fast and you plop down right where you parked. I want to take my dog and let her chase me down the hill but I wonder how dogs do in that kind of powder? She is a very wiley little Aussie shepard/Border Collie mix. She loves snow, but I've never put her through that type of a strong workout. Too much for a dog to chase me on the board? Has anybody brought their medium sized dogs snowboarding in 12" of powder or much more? I've picked people up hitchhiking there with there dogs and the dogs seemed to be having the time of their lives but I'd like to hear some experiences if there are any.

Last edited by Mr. Right; 09-30-2007 at 02:02 AM.
Mr. Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2007, 02:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
st.stark

Does the dog get regular exercise?? That would be an easy way to tell its limits if you exercise it...if not I don't know. Try it out for a run maybe and if it can't handle it just ride with it in your arms down the hill? Idk...
Old 09-30-2007, 02:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

I guess I'll just take her with me and find out. I was just checking to see if there are any experiences out there. She gets a ton of exercise and has been around snow her whole life, I've just never had her try to keep up with a snowboard.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

calling KC! clean up, isle 5!
Old 09-30-2007, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

What do you think Cody?

Hmmm
Where is he???

There he is!

Yeah, I ride a ton of backcountry in Colorado. Everywhere from Berthoud down to Wolf Creek Pass and tons inbetween. Those shots are from Loveland Pass. They do fine, but you have to have a little patience. Higher angle stuff dogs tend to keep up fine. In deep lower angle snow, you are going to need to pull up and wait from time to time and give them a rest. It makes a big difference if your pooch figures out how to follow in your tracks.
The other thing is, realize your dog could very well get buried out there, and it's a not a good idea to put a beacon on them because you just might dig out your dog over your girlfriend. Depending on the situation that maybe a better save, but is generally looked down upon. So really good conservative decision making is key to going out with the pooch.
The biggest killing fields in Colorado are Berthoud and Loveland Passes so keep it in mind.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
N~R~G

i LOVE that pic!
Old 09-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Banned Bananas [national phenomenon]

KC! That's a GREAT picture! Carmen told me how great of a dog Cody is... that's great!

alaric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz

The other thing is, realize your dog could very well get buried out there, and it's a not a good idea to put a beacon on them because you just might dig out your dog over your girlfriend. Depending on the situation that maybe a better save, but is generally looked down upon. So really good conservative decision making is key to going out with the pooch.
screw ur girlfriend put a beacon on that dog!!
DrGreeNThumB420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #9 (permalink)
BoardTard Xtrordinair

Sweet I'm taking her. I think I might get her one of those little jackets because she has long Aussie hair and it always traps little balls of snow on her legs and in other places and drives her crazy.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

KC, aren't there some new beacons for K9s ?
I could have sworn they run on a diffrent freqency so you won't confuse them with a burried human.

BTW: KC that squence of pictures is ... well... badass!
bravo_castle is offline   Reply With Quote