Beginner female on a mens board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner female on a mens board?

Alright, so, completely new to the forums as well as snowboarding. I took lessons 2 or 3 years ago, and haven't gotten the opportunity to head back up to the mountains these past few seasons.

I'm looking into getting my own gear, the size/length I'd be getting is 151, and I found a mens board that I really would love to get. The only info that seemed to keep coming up on this topic is that it would be harder to get the board to do what I wanted it to do since women's boards are made for women, are lighter, etc.. and that it would be hard to turn. I'm decently athletic, but again, still a beginner. Could anyone tell me if any of that's correct, if I'd be alright learning on a mens board, or if I should forget it and just keep looking?

This was on the details page for the board, if it helps any:

Fully laminated wood core.
Sandwich construction.
Biaxial glass layup for easy edge to edge.
Stainless steel edges.
Dampening materials for a smoother ride.
Extruded base that is fast and low maintenance.
All mountain snowboard.
Standard camber for more pop and response.
Directional-twin shape.
Flex rating: 6/10.
Imported.
dbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't believe I can answer competently, but it might help those who can if you could specify the manufacturer/board model.

Now, my opinion (and it's exactly that): if the size is right for your weight, I don't think it will be a huge problem... I think the difference is that wome have a slightly lower center of gravity (and way different hips, I suppose), but I was riding rental guys' boards in the beginning and I don't think I sucked any more because of it, I just naturally suck... and rentals suck too... but they were short enough for me, so I didn't see a problem.
Varza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned!

why THIS board? per se.

it just looks like a craigslist quote or something. There is a pretty huge selection of decks out there for a good price, so don't let a good deal on clist push you to something that isn't right for you (apoligies/ignore if I'm reading this wrong)

Last edited by snowklinger; 12-06-2013 at 01:54 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Don't forget also that the snowoard needs to have an appropriate width in relation to your feet. That's another major difference between men's and women's boards - men's boards are usually wider because our feet are usually bigger.
Anticrobotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Main thing in sizing a board is weight and foot size (so you can pick the right width). The other side of the coin is that men may tend to have more muscle mass for the same weight person than the average woman.

That said, will it be impossible to learn on a mens board?!? No. They never even used to have womens boards. Lots of women on this forum ride mens boards. Not sure they learned on mens boards though.

The most important thing for you is finding the right SIZED board to start. So look at the boards weight ratings, and try to find something that you're in the middle of. Don't worry so much about features at this point.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have this board ROXY Envi C2 BTX 2012 Women's Snowboard and I recently saw this online. It's from 2 years ago so it's marked way down. Easy to turn, rocker camber. Nice riding board. Probably the 153 would work. Nice flex.

The description you posted with flex of 6/10 sounds weird. Usually there is a big difference between 6 and 10.
sb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb60 View Post
It's from 2 years ago so it's marked way down. Easy to turn, rocker camber. Nice riding board. Probably the 153 would work. Nice flex.

The description you posted with flex of 6/10 sounds weird. Usually there is a big difference between 6 and 10.
No way to know if the 153 would work without knowing her weight. Also 6/10 means 6 out of 10 (ie if 1 is a noddle, and 10 is the stiffest board the company has made, a 6 is relatively stiff).
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

That makes sense! 6 out of 10. duh
sb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi debella,

There are a few things in your post which suggest that you could be about to make a mistake. Kindly post the board model that you are considering as well as your weight, foot size and the area where you will be riding.

STOKED!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote