Looking for new snowboard. <150cm, 118lbs - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
SnowRide

Default Looking for new snowboard. <150cm, 118lbs

Hi all. I am looking to buy a new board, but I am having trouble finding snowboards under 150cm. I am fairly new to snowboarding, I went snowboarding like 4 times last season and a couple of times this season, and I loved it (also went snowboarding a couple times before, but that was a while ago). I am looking to invest in a new snowboard setup to go up with my friends more often. I am starting to learn how to carve on not so steep slopes. I've read the stickies and did a little of searching. Here's my info:

Weight: 118lbs
Height: 5' 5"
Boot: 7.5 US
Riding Style: All-mountain (for now, i think i like free-ride, but my friends like to go to the park)
Budget: no real budget, something under $600 MSRP, hopefully I can score a deal later on near the end of the season

So I went out and bought a pair of boots so I don't have to rent stinky boots, and I inherited a pair of bindings from a friend, I think they are called Rome Targas. My friend out grew them, and got a new pair, so he gave them to me, he says they are perfectly fine, they're from several years back. I heard Burton board requires their own bindings, so Burtons out of the picture.

I am having trouble finding a board that is for my size. Calculators says I should be riding a 144-148. I went on many sites, and most of their boards are 150 and above, except for free-style boards, but I heard it's unsafe to free-ride on a park board. Several that I have looked at, that seems pretty good for me are the Atomic Hatchet, and Rome Crail; under 150cm. What other all-mountain snowboards would you guys recommend?

My local shop has K2 Believer in 151cm on sale for $350, what happens if I ride a longer board in the park? They also have the Lib Tech TRS BTX 151cm on sale for $458. The banana tech seems really interesting (I read up on it), I think I might go and demo one this weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
kyouness

it's not dangerous at all to use a freestyle board for freeriding as long as you know your limits. board stiffness also plays a factor as stiffer boards will handle speed much better than softer ones. i would actually suggest an all-mountain freestyle board if you're just doing groomers and plan to hit up the park at some point. these usually have middle-of-the-road flex and are perfect for taking both the park and throwing around off natural features.

i would also suggest something smaller than a 150 at your weight even for freeriding. i weigh 130lb and ride a 152, and even i'd like to go to 148-150 for all-mountain freestyle riding.

as far as boards go, i hear great things about the Rome Agent. if you don't want to shell out the money for one, the Atomic Hatchet is an awesome all-mountain freestyle board with great flex.