Anyone have the Smith Prodigy Turbo Fan + helmet? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2009, 06:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Anyone have the Smith Prodigy Turbo Fan + helmet?

OK well I have like, no goggle luck this year, I usually go try on goggles first before buying but in this case no store near me sold them (Turbo Fan)... so I had to pick between Smith Prodigy or Phenom. Usually I like big goggles but I found from 2 days worth of use that the Prodigy's, while having an incredible field of view, don;t fit into my R.E.D. skycap II helmet quite right (there is a small gap, and no matter what I do the goggles push down on my nose. I wear a lot of larger size gogs but this is the first time I had this issue)

So should I return the goggles, exchange for Phenoms (smaller fit) or just buy a Smith helmet? Anyone use these with a helmet?
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2009, 08:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I'd get the matching Smith Holt Audio helmet if you want to keep the Prodigys.

GOD IS DONUT
legallyillegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ok Ill check that out, thanks.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Those goggles with fans are gay as hell, don't really work, add bulk, cost more, and break very easily. Return them immediately.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Those goggles with fans are gay as hell, don't really work, add bulk, cost more, and break very easily. Return them immediately.
im inclined to agree, used em for a couple days and they dont do sht so far.

The good part is I got free pair due to shipping messup by ups
Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
I've got to say that I disagree. I use Smith Phenom Turbo Fan goggles for my splitboarding pursuits. Where I am skinning for hours sometimes. The Turbo fan has fought off the fog for me nicely. Generally I just throw the fan onto high mode and leave it. I know the directions tell you to only use the fan on high for 30 minutes at a time max, but screw that. I am out for 7 plus hours most days and the fan is still working after 30 days of use.

I won't say that they are perfect. I still get some fogging some days, typically on very snowy days like my trip on Vail Pass last weekend. I was able to wipe down my lense though and had very little fogging after that. Most of the time the fogging was minimal at that point and the lense would clear by the time I had changed over my splitboard for riding. I still carry an extra pair of goggles in my pack while doing the backcountry thing, but have not had to swap them out because of fogging. More like getting snow in my lenses or the battery going dead because I forgot to put a fresh one in after several days use.

The big thing is the cost of the Turbo Fan goggles which I have to say is high. Fortunately I had picked up the pair on SAC or I would have never done it.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Well I ordered a pair of Phenoms to see if they fit with my helm better, that could be the issue with the fogging. I went into a store and tried on a Holt Helm with the Smith Prodigy fan gogs and they still fit funny, could just be they don't fit my face well... the phenoms fit a lot better (though I didn't get to try the fan variety). So will give em another chance.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

Have you considered Oakley's? My Crowbars have never fogged up on me... I use a R.E.D. Tantrum helmet and it fits well.
EvoKnvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I know 1 boarder that tried it. First day using them, on a trip to Whistler, they broke. He's a beginner and fell alot, but they didn't hold up at all. I remember the same thing from back in the day when I skiied.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote