New Board Yes PYL vs NS Cobra vs Rome Anthem - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 07:29 PM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post
Exactly, as opposed to an all mountain board that happens to be good in powder
The PYL is an all mountain board that's also good in powder. It's by no means a "powder" board.

And talking about the Cobra vs the Big City, camber profile. The Big City is camber under/between the feet. The Cobra is rocker between the feet. Camrock is more powerful on edge than rocker camber. Its the freeride deck. Its meant to go super fast. Which means its designed to be stable. It will make tight turns and long drawn out ones just fine.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes-Z View Post
Any thoughts on the Yes Big City (formerly the Optimist)?

I found one on the Clymb for $229 and the same board won Good Wood in 2011
Great board at a steal of a price these days. I didn't find it quite as stiff as the PYL or as freeride oriented, but still a real charger.

Big fan of camrock myself.
Peyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have the Yes Big City. It's exactly as described here; an all mountain cruiser that floats well in fresh snow. But I do miss a poppier tail that's in a cambered deck. I just haven't adjusted to the softer tail in a camrock board. I need to find the right way to pop it.

Last edited by tonicusa; 12-14-2013 at 07:44 PM.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyto View Post
Great board at a steal of a price these days. I didn't find it quite as stiff as the PYL or as freeride oriented, but still a real charger.

Big fan of camrock myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicusa View Post
I have the Yes Big City. It's exactly as described here; an all mountain cruiser that floats well in fresh snow. But I do miss a poppier tail that's in a cambered deck. I just haven't adjusted to the softer tail in a camrock board. I need to find the right way to pop it.

Hmmm....my Rome Anthem is pretty stiff. I'd say 7 out of 10.

Where do you think the Big City is in terms of flex?

Seems like everyone loves the Camrock because I have yet to see a negative comment about it.
Jes-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have an old Rome Anthem, its a great classic free ride board. But if you've been riding a while you will be able to rip a carve on most anything. I must admit that I like how camrock really let's you point the board and move through crud that a cambered board would slam into if you weren't up on your edge. I find myself leaving my cambered boards for the days when there is no snow at all and Im just going to be carving hardpack. Otherwise the camrock adds a lot more fun and maneuverability to free riding. And Im a camber-holic.

I've noticed a lot of the companies are rushing to add new profiles that are similar to camrock, camber under foot and loose tips, K2 and Salomon are doing it this year and Rossignol has been for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised to see Burton come up with a version especially since Flying V has been meh.

Last edited by tonicusa; 12-14-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
I have an old Rome Anthem, its a great classic free ride board. But if you've been riding a while you will be able to rip a carve on most anything. I must admit that I like how camrock really let's you point the board and move through crud that a cambered board would slam into if you weren't up on your edge. I find myself leaving my cambered boards for the days when there is no snow at all and Im just going to be carving hardpack. Otherwise the camrock adds a lot more fun and maneuverability to free riding. And Im a camber-holic.

I've noticed a lot of the companies are rushing to add new profiles that are similar to camrock, camber under foot and loose tips, K2 and Salomon are doing it this year and Rossignol has been for awhile. I wouldn't be surprised to see Burton come up with a version especially since Flying V has been meh.
Wow! So I'm definitely in for a treat when I upgrade. I've only known classic Camber and I feel like getting a lesson for a couple hours to get used to the new setup lol.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #27 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Lessons are always a great thing for riders of any level to do. That said, you will find the camrock very similar to regular camber. It will take but one run for you to become accustomed. The Big City has the asymmetric heel side cut which I love. You don't have to move your weight much to get a nice heel turn.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:31 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Lessons are always a great thing for riders of any level to do. That said, you will find the camrock very similar to regular camber. It will take but one run for you to become accustomed. The Big City has the asymmetric heel side cut which I love. You don't have to move your weight much to get a nice heel turn.
I'm a huge believer in lessons to help you progress as a rider. I've even done a Winter Day Camp at Woodward at Copper. It was a great experience and I even put down a 360 off a jump in one day. Thanks to my coach Colin Spencer (Now a rider for Yes Snowboards, one of the reasons I even heard about them).

I'm 31, lessons are a must go get better in a short period.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
The PYL is an all mountain board that's also good in powder. It's by no means a "powder" board.

And talking about the Cobra vs the Big City, camber profile. The Big City is camber under/between the feet. The Cobra is rocker between the feet. Camrock is more powerful on edge than rocker camber. Its the freeride deck. Its meant to go super fast. Which means its designed to be stable. It will make tight turns and long drawn out ones just fine.
Would you say a PYL and a cobra are comparable then? PYL is advertised as a stiffer and more on the freeride side than a cobra is.

Again, see my "I haven't ridden the big city" comment, but the big city seems to be advertised as softer, park side of all mountain as compared to cobra.

Limited experience here, came from a ns premier f1 to a cobra, had it in my head that the PYL was an f1 class board.
kaborkian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:55 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaborkian View Post
Would you say a PYL and a cobra are comparable then? PYL is advertised as a stiffer and more on the freeride side than a cobra is.

Again, see my "I haven't ridden the big city" comment, but the big city seems to be advertised as softer, park side of all mountain as compared to cobra.

Limited experience here, came from a ns premier f1 to a cobra, had it in my head that the PYL was an f1 class board.
The Yes Big City Review by The Good Ride

There's the review for the Big City and thats why I'm thinking of going with it because of my specific situation.

I've ridden such a stiff board in the Rome Anthem, that maybe just a little more flex would be fun.