New Board Yes PYL vs NS Cobra vs Rome Anthem - Page 4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #31 (permalink)
Veteran Member

That review is dead on. I own the Anthem (5 years old) and 2012 Big City. It's an enjoyable transition. I even go back and forth. If there is just no snow (groomers, hardpack) I find myself going back to full camber. Anything fresh and that Big City is fun and very familiar to full camber.
tonicusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 02:33 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonicusa View Post
That review is dead on. I own the Anthem (5 years old) and 2012 Big City. It's an enjoyable transition. I even go back and forth. If there is just no snow (groomers, hardpack) I find myself going back to full camber. Anything fresh and that Big City is fun and very familiar to full camber.
What does your anthem look like? We might be in the same exact scenario?
Jes-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #33 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
The Big City has the asymmetric heel side cut which I love.
Nope. Sure doesn't. YES only has one board with an asymmetric side-cut... The Asym (or previous years called The Greats).

I have about 50 days on The Big City. It is NOT on the park side of all mountain. Not even close. It has a directional flex, a healthy setback and "freeride camrock" meaning there is more rocker in the nose than in the tail. It is soft in compairison to the classic stiff freeride boards, but the flex of it and the 2013 PYL(white with wolf/human) are quite similar.

The concept and progression was that in 2012, the PYL(mountain/green graphic) was a stiff freeride board and the Big City had the same geometry, but with a slightly softer flex and no taper. In 2013, they merged the two profiles giving the PYL a softer flex profile close to that of the Big City, but keeping the taper, setback and mellowmagne of the old PYL.

If we were talking "out of 10" flex, the big city is around a 6-6.5, but torsionally it's softer. Payto is right, its not quite as stiff as the PYL, but is still a real charger. I ride that board on everything but the knee deep days and it is fantastic. For the price they are on the clymb right now, I would not hesitate to pick one up at all.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Nope. Sure doesn't. YES only has one board with an asymmetric side-cut... The Asym (or previous years called The Greats).

I have about 50 days on The Big City. It is NOT on the park side of all mountain. Not even close. It has a directional flex, a healthy setback and "freeride camrock" meaning there is more rocker in the nose than in the tail. It is soft in compairison to the classic stiff freeride boards, but the flex of it and the 2013 PYL(white with wolf/human) are quite similar.

The concept and progression was that in 2012, the PYL(mountain/green graphic) was a stiff freeride board and the Big City had the same geometry, but with a slightly softer flex and no taper. In 2013, they merged the two profiles giving the PYL a softer flex profile close to that of the Big City, but keeping the taper, setback and mellowmagne of the old PYL.

If we were talking "out of 10" flex, the big city is around a 6-6.5, but torsionally it's softer. Payto is right, its not quite as stiff as the PYL, but is still a real charger. I ride that board on everything but the knee deep days and it is fantastic. For the price they are on the clymb right now, I would not hesitate to pick one up at all.
Right on!!! Thanks for this. Next Friday I'm going to place the order on the big city.

Say I do have a nice powder day during my week, will the big city hold? I always have my board set back. I'm more of a directional guy.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #35 (permalink)
Veteran Member

quote "YES only has one board with an asymmetric side-cut... The Asym (or previous years called The Greats)."

This isn't quite accurate. The Trouble has it. And I suspect there is something here with this Big City.

My Yes Big City definitely has something going on with the sidecut on the heel edge. I have ridden asymmetrical boards before and this definitely feels like one. It's ridiculous how responsive the heelside cut is. I know they have asymm on some of their boards that they don't tout much like the Trouble etc. Either way the heelside on this thing is great, I've been riding for 20 years and I don't need a website to tell me about a sidecut.

I find the board a little soft and it's nowhere near as stiff or hard charging as any of my cambered boards (Anthem, Aftermath, Agent) but it still rips in a very responsive and fun way. It floats better on fresh and the setback is less annoying than in a traditional cambered board say like a Burton Super model etc.

I love this thing. I just wish it had a stiffer tail for booters and the park. This thing is easy to ride in the park, I'm on a 156. Especially if you are used to hitting the jump line on directional twins with some setback. It's pretty easy to land switch on this thing especially because it's such a forgiving ride. My Rome Agent is stiffer poppier and with full camber you have to be a lot more careful landing spins even with a 2 degree base bevel.

Banjo's rating of the flex sounds dead on to me. I'm interested in picking up The Greats for more of a booter/pipe board.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big City.jpg (33.4 KB, 75 views)

Last edited by tonicusa; 12-15-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:32 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
quote "YES only has one board with an asymmetric side-cut... The Asym (or previous years called The Greats)."

This isn't quite accurate. The Trouble has it. And I suspect there is something here with this Big City.

My Yes Big City definitely has something going on with the sidecut on the heel edge. I have ridden asymmetrical boards before and this definitely feels like one. It's ridiculous how responsive the heelside cut is. I know they have asymm on some of their boards that they don't tout much like the Trouble etc. Either way the heelside on this thing is great, I've been riding for 20 years and I don't need a website to tell me about a sidecut.

I find the board a little soft and it's nowhere near as stiff or hard charging as any of my cambered boards (Anthem, Aftermath, Agent) but it still rips in a very responsive and fun way. It floats better on fresh and the setback is less annoying than in a traditional cambered board say like a Burton Super model etc.

I love this thing. I just wish it had a stiffer tail for booters and the park. This thing is easy to ride in the park, I'm on a 156. Especially if you are used to hitting the jump line on directional twins with some setback. It's pretty easy to land switch on this thing especially because it's such a forgiving ride. My Rome Agent is stiffer poppier and with full camber you have to be a lot more careful landing spins even with a 2 degree base bevel.

Banjo's rating of the flex sounds dead on to me. I'm interested in picking up The Greats for more of a booter/pipe board.
How tall & Weight are you Tonic?
Old 12-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #37 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:

My Yes Big City definitely has something going on with the sidecut on the heel edge.

Either way the heelside on this thing is great, I've been riding for 20 years and I don't need a website to tell me about a sidecut.
Apparently you do, because both the Big City and Trouble do not have an asymmetrical sidecut. Trace it out on a piece of paper or something if you truly dont believe the factory specs that clearly state one sidecut radius. The trouble has the "disrupted sidecut" (mellow magne) but the same on both sides.

In addition, what if you rode the other way(goofy vs regular)...they would have to tell you which side was which or it would defeat the purpose. Furthermore, to have a board with setback and an asym-sidecut makes no sense as it would need to come in "Goofy" or "Regular", so please check your 20 year ego and not give people false information.

Anyhow, to Jes-Z about pow days: if you have it set back, you wont have any issues at all, I came from full camber before I went with this, and my first 3 days were in 2+ ft of snow. night and day compared to camber, float was/is amazing and to this day ill only bust out my pow board for those days when its truly bottomless.....shame they arent that often!
What makes the BC so good is how good it is everywhere...from a pow line straight onto a groomed trail/cattrack to the crappiest chopped out garbage moguls.

Edit: fyi i am 5'9 190lbs and on a 158. spend alot of time in the trees, and am glad i didnt go bigger.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Apparently you do, because both the Big City and Trouble do not have an asymmetrical sidecut. Trace it out on a piece of paper or something if you truly dont believe the factory specs that clearly state one sidecut radius. The trouble has the "disrupted sidecut" (mellow magne) but the same on both sides.

In addition, what if you rode the other way(goofy vs regular)...they would have to tell you which side was which or it would defeat the purpose. Furthermore, to have a board with setback and an asym-sidecut makes no sense as it would need to come in "Goofy" or "Regular", so please check your 20 year ego and not give people false information.

Anyhow, to Jes-Z about pow days: if you have it set back, you wont have any issues at all, I came from full camber before I went with this, and my first 3 days were in 2+ ft of snow. night and day compared to camber, float was/is amazing and to this day ill only bust out my pow board for those days when its truly bottomless.....shame they arent that often!
What makes the BC so good is how good it is everywhere...from a pow line straight onto a groomed trail/cattrack to the crappiest chopped out garbage moguls.

Edit: fyi i am 5'9 190lbs and on a 158. spend alot of time in the trees, and am glad i didnt go bigger.
I currently ride a 156. I'm 5'7" 160lbs. I figure I should just stay that size since I'm used to throwing it around although trying to swing it around in a jump is really tough for me. But I did land a 360 last year. I swear I felt like Shaun White for a second in midair and that was on my Anthem. Lol

I'm pretty convinced with the price and ride I'm looking for the Big City is my new board. Can't wait. So stoked!
Old 12-15-2013, 04:33 PM   #39 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jes-Z View Post
I swear I felt like Shaun White for a second in midair and that was on my Anthem. Lol

I'm pretty convinced with the price and ride I'm looking for the Big City is my new board. Can't wait. So stoked!
You tweaked your ankle and didnt ride the next day?

You'll love it man, I think you are bang on with the 156.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #40 (permalink)
Veteran Member

No ego here "Banjo". You were just one of those slightly "jerkish" internet guys that jumped all over my post saying the Asymm or The Greats was the only asymmetrical board in the YES line.

I was far more cool and polite in pointing out that I believed you were mistaken. Still you responded like a know-it-all that the Trouble is not asymm. I had contacted Yes a couple of weeks ago because I wanted to purchase that board, they said it was. Here is the description as well. You can be knowledgable without turning shit into a contest. But I guess any guy that post his dog Banjo is going to be a bit of a dick

I'm a bit of one too. No harm, just busting balls. I love the Big City.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trouble.jpg (105.9 KB, 65 views)