Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   New Board Yes PYL vs NS Cobra vs Rome Anthem (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/109785-new-board-yes-pyl-vs-ns.html)

Jes-Z 12-07-2013 01:35 PM

New Board Yes PYL vs NS Cobra vs Rome Anthem

Hey guys,

Been riding for a few years now. Mostly for a 7 day trip every year. Formerly used to ride in Summit County, now I ride in Park City/Little Cottonwood Canyon area.

I currently ride a 2008 Rome Anthem 156cm with Flow M22 (I think) bindings and Burton Moto's.

I'm 31, 5'7" and 155lbs. I live in Miami but I love to hit the slopes. I only get a week a year but I love it so much. I ride mostly groomers (blues or black) but I try and spend the majority of my time in the back bowls looking for fresh pow.

I've tried the pipe only to basically go to the top and 180 down it again. So it's not where I spend most of my time.

I like to get air off natural features but I do like to hit the made jumps to get my heart pumping. I can only 360 or splatter a landing really. Method is my go to move since I'm old. Lol.

Since my board is from 2008. I'm looking to upgrade and I think my riding ability has improved enough to move up to a more technical setup.

I narrowed my board choices to 3 based on what I like to do.

1. Bombing Groomers
2. S-turns and nipple scrapers
3. Pow runs when I find it.
4. Tree running when I'm feeling confident
5. Jumps natural or prefab
6. Pipe attempts

I used the reviews from thegoodride.com to get an idea but I'm looking for insight from fellow riders. I ain't DCP or anything. So I'm curious what you guys would go with if you were me.

Yes Pick Your Line- described as a groomer bomber that loves pow and can do anything.

Never Summer Cobra- groomer bomber with a little more flex and better for buttering that what I currently use.

Rome Anthem- upgrading to a new board but keeping the same feel with improvements might be a good choice.

What do you guys think?

scotty100 12-07-2013 01:50 PM

Well I think those 3 boards would do what you're looking to do with some variation in stiffness - the bigger question would be what kind of camber profile you prefer to ride. All 3 have different profiles:

Yes PYL: Camrock profile...camber between the bindings, rocker after the bindings.

NS Cobra: NS RC profile...rocker between and under the bindings, camber thru to the transition area.

Rome Anthem: traditional camber profile.

If you've never ridden a board with rocker between the bindings you might want to demo first.

Jes-Z 12-07-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty100 (Post 1316961)
Well I think those 3 boards would do what you're looking to do with some variation in stiffness - the bigger question would be what kind of camber profile you prefer to ride. All 3 have different profiles:

Yes PYL: Camrock profile...camber between the bindings, rocker after the bindings.

NS Cobra: NS RC profile...rocker between and under the bindings, camber thru to the transition area.

Rome Anthem: traditional camber profile.

If you've never ridden a board with rocker between the bindings you might want to demo first.

To be honest, I've only ridden my current board. I constantly read about the hybrid boards and I sort of scratch my head. I understand the concept, I just haven't strapped one on and tried it. Is the ride that much more different. Does it feel like the nose is riding higher? Is the turn intitiation that much more difficult? Being in Miami, I can't really take a day and ride it out. If I was to try a demo, I'd burn a day of my short trip just trying something new. It's a gamble, but knowing myself, once I invest, I will commit and ride the hell out of the choice.

I bought the Rome Anthem knowing nothing about Camber, I just went for it and got used to it. I've managed to enjoy it very much.

tradnwaves4snow 12-07-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jes-Z (Post 1317009)
I bought the Rome Anthem knowing nothing about Camber, I just went for it and got used to it. I've managed to enjoy it very much.

if you still enjoy it and will keep it in your now quiver of 2, why not go for something a little more different.
YES PYL is a directional board that loves powder and graphics look rad in my opinion that would be my choice.

Jes-Z 12-07-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tradnwaves4snow (Post 1317225)
if you still enjoy it and will keep it in your now quiver of 2, why not go for something a little more different.
YES PYL is a directional board that loves powder and graphics look rad in my opinion that would be my choice.

I will keep it, but it's got some pretty gnarly gashes on the edges from learning how to ride and then finally getting decent. It's going to be a decoration in my house eventually. Lol

This is my board fresh from a day at Snowbird.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps3f5c94f6.jpg

scotty100 12-08-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jes-Z (Post 1317009)
To be honest, I've only ridden my current board. I constantly read about the hybrid boards and I sort of scratch my head. I understand the concept, I just haven't strapped one on and tried it. Is the ride that much more different. Does it feel like the nose is riding higher? Is the turn intitiation that much more difficult? Being in Miami, I can't really take a day and ride it out. If I was to try a demo, I'd burn a day of my short trip just trying something new. It's a gamble, but knowing myself, once I invest, I will commit and ride the hell out of the choice.

I think you would like the Yes PYL - I ride a Yes board, the greats, with the same camrock profile and love it. You'll get the stability you've been used to with your old camber board and you'll also get the benefits of the rocker tech in the pow etc. The cobra also gets great reviews but I think you should demo if you can before you splash the 550 bills or whatever it costs. I think the Yes board would be just as good and give you all you want.

neachdainn 12-08-2013 12:37 AM

Ditto on the PYL, however I love the nidecker (Yes, jones, etc.) camrock profile, so maybe i'm a bit biased... :dunno:

Either way, demo if you can, if not - find a place with a good return policy and be "that guy"... :D

Jes-Z 12-08-2013 03:34 AM

Ok, I'm leaning towards the PYL.

Now the question is, where can I get one?

Not too many Nidecker deals down in South Florida.

Any of you guys have someone you recommend online?

neachdainn 12-08-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jes-Z (Post 1318121)
Ok, I'm leaning towards the PYL.

Now the question is, where can I get one?

Not too many Nidecker deals down in South Florida.

Any of you guys have someone you recommend online?

Looks like evo and dogfunk both carry it - both are good bets.

131441 12-08-2013 10:10 AM

I made a big jump when I upgraded boards. I went from a Morrow rail to the NS Cobra. let me say that I was able to kill it on Baker last year. I love, love, love the Cobra.