Thoughts on a big board, and help understanding the dynamics... - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunkySpunk View Post
Both. By dead reckoning, if one were to scale the Titan up to the size of the Zephyr 166 Wide, it'd still weigh less than the Zephyr. You can't quote me on that, I've got nothing to back this up.
I'm not gonna bullshit you, that's more than I'm qualified to answer. Every single board mfg out there will tell you their sidecuts make it a better board using lingo and jargon that makes your head spin. I DO know what they mean by quadratic vs. tri-radial in a purely mathematical sense. But other than the basics of swallow-tail, tapered, progressive, or twin, I don't know why they do what they do at the end of the day.
Anyone else wanna school me out there?
Thanks again! I'd also be curious for any comments/insight into Magnetraction/Banana Tech (Lib Tech's stuff) I'm obviously very in the dark on this stuff, and really don't understand what it is/does.
Edvard_Grieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 04:02 PM   #22 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticfalcon View Post
My sugestion would be for a smokin magnetraction 175. Ive got a friend who rides one thats 6'8 and about 240lb. I'm 5'10 and Ride the Smokin traction 162. Amazing ride adn very stiff. It is the ultimate board for high speed blue and black runs. Ive got other boards but that is what I ride the most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg View Post
Thanks again! I'd also be curious for any comments/insight into Magnetraction/Banana Tech (Lib Tech's stuff) I'm obviously very in the dark on this stuff, and really don't understand what it is/does.
I've got no experience with magnetraction. All I know is what is on their website. I've heard good things about it when it comes to ice. I'd love to try it myself - but there's no place even remotely close to me that does it.

Last edited by MunkySpunk; 01-10-2009 at 04:05 PM.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #23 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Just got a chance to bring out the Zephyr for the first time this season, so I thought I'd relay my experiences with each one while it's fresh in my head. Again, I'm 6'3", 200lbs, size 14, +18/0 goofy stance.

Keep in mind while you're reading this, I fly a Titan TX 161 (26.3cm waist) and a Zephyr 166 wide (28cm waist), and I've got no doubt that difference in length and width affected some of the outcomes. I also use Burton elevators with my Titan and do not with my Zephyr.

The Zephyr is a more forgiving board than the TX, but it's definitely not as agile. Also, I tried to pay more attention to the speed factor with the Zephyr. The TX is definitely the faster board, but the Zephyr is nothing to sneeze at either. Unless you're looking to break records or enter official races, the Zephyr will absolutely be fast enough for you.

The Zephyr got a bit squirrely on me at really high speeds in a few places, but it wasn't anything I couldn't recover from on the fly, and it certainly wasn't major crash-inducing wobble. However, if I had hit the wrong kind of bump at the wrong time on the Zephyr and caught an edge during a squirrel-out, I might have gone flying. All in all, the fact that I didn't go flying in some of those spots is a testament to the Zephyr's more forgiving build. If I were to have gone through those motions on my Titan, it probably would have laughed at me and then used me for impact protection as it bounced me off the slope side until I was its bitch.

The Titan can definitely hold a better line at speed. Just like NS says, you've never experienced a faster, smoother, and more responsive board than the Titan... you just gotta keep the bitch on a leash or she'll put you on your ass.

The Zephyr is an easier board to land when you get air. It came down with a solid 'whomp' and kept going straight as an arrow, whereas the Titan would sometimes wobble for an instant when I landed and I'd have to adjust. This could be due to the extreme differences in width.

The carving trophy goes to the Zephyr, no question (again, keep in mind, 166 vs. 161). If I saw something shiney over there and I wanted to head in that direction, the Zephyr took me there, no matter how tight a turn I asked it to do. It was't as agile (read: multiple quick transitions) as the Titan, but you'd never have guessed you were riding a 28cm wide board either.

At low speeds, when glide-skating from the lift to the top of a run, the Zephyr was easier to control. I sometimes have issues with my board kind of rotating however it wants to while I'm skating long distances, but the Zephyr was much easier to handle in this regard.

At low speeds with both feet in (like hanging with my wife on the novice hill), the Titan was easier to control, but again, size differences surely came into play here.

So basically you've gotta ask yourself if you can handle the Titan (Honestly, I'm still wrestling with the bitch in spots). I think it's a better high-speed freeride board if you have the sack to keep it under control. It asks a lot but gives a lot. The Zephyr is more forgiving and holds a better tight carve (it was also longer, tho). If you're the kind of rider who likes speed, can bend a board to his will and doesn't need its forgiveness, you probably want to hit up the Titan. I still benefit from a board showing me a modicum of compassion, personally... I'm not the double black diamond type yet.

At the end of the day, however, you're going to get a big wide board chubby in your pants no matter which you get.. I promise. These are both superb sticks that deserve every bit of the good rep they have.
MunkySpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 AM   #24 (permalink)

Thank you for the great write-up! I went up to Keystone on Sunday after tweaking my stance a bit, and I found that ended up helping a lot. I still think a different board would *that* much more, but I wanted to mention that as a valid point to anyone else in a similar situation.

The changes I made were to widen the stance (now at the furthest holes on each side) and to make the back food at a more aggressive angle...I'll probably tweak the foot angles a little more as I keep going, but I wanted to mention that overall making those changes gave me a lot more control which translated to tighter turns etc.

Along the same lines, I'm also now more confident in being able to handle an equally long and stiffer board than my current Glissade Big Gun 175.

Thanks again everyone!
Edvard_Grieg is offline   Reply With Quote