Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Thoughts on a big board, and help understanding the dynamics... (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/11004-thoughts-big-board-help-understanding-dynamics.html)

Edvard_Grieg 01-03-2009 02:44 PM

Thoughts on a big board, and help understanding the dynamics...
 
Hi! (cliff notes at the bottom since this is long)

I'm currently contemplating a new board- a little background though...I've been riding for about 10 years or so now, and when I started wide boards were few and far between (started with a K2 Fatbob, and then a K2 Trucker)...along those same lines I also rode 'Clickers' for a long time, and loved the convenience, but just this season finally caved and got rid of them because frankly the boots sucked ass lol.

Additionally, in the past couple years I had gotten lazy and fat, and this summer I finally started doing something about it- I've lost a good net of 50lbs, and still shedding more every week. Right now I'm at about 290 (at 6'3" with size 13 boots- I'm a big boy :) ) I probably won't ever be below 220ish when I'm done, which puts me in a heavier bracket for weight-to-length ratio etc (let alone right now).

That being the case, I've been overhauling all my gear- I started by buying some Salomon Malamute boots which have been awesome! On top of that I got a set of the K2 Cinch CTX from last year (I found out last year used carbon fiber reinforcements, and this years did not).

So, I'm currently riding a Glissade Big Gun 175- when I went to buy my boots and bindings, the sales guy commented that the board was actually pretty light on the flex side, and that for my weight I either needed something longer and/or stiffer.

I tend to ride primarily blues/blacks and I love speed., I'm starting to do moguls (never had a taste for them in the past), I don't do any park stuff, but I'm starting to do small jumps and kickers etc. I do enjoy powder/backcountry, but it is not what I end up on 80%+ of the time (generally normal blues-blacks).

What I have noticed on my current board though, is that trying to hold a turn/edge when the terrain is choppy, is becoming difficult- and I don't know if that's just a function of the terrain, or if that is indicative of the board itself?

So given this information, the sales guy had originally recommended the Ride Yukon as a good board for me, I've since also looked at Venture Snowboards and their Zephyr. I've heard some people recommend Burton, and others with Lib Tech and GNU...I've honestly been out of looking at boards for a long time and not sure what if anything else to look at. From what I've seen though, the Zephyr is the most appealing, since it can get pretty wide, and hell, nothing wrong with buying local =)

The other thing I don't completely understand is the dynamics of stiffness as it pertains to weight- I read through the primer on finding boards etc, but it only appeared to address stiffness in regards to riding style, and weight as it pertains to length...

Last question, the straps on the bindings seem to be causing some pressure points...are straps pretty universal? Where would I get replacement ones? Recommendations on type/brand?


So I know this was incredibly long, so here's some cliff notes:

1. I'm a big guy, lost 50lbs, still 6'3", 290lbs, size 13
2. Just switched from clickers to conventional
3. Concerned current Glissade Big Gun 175 may not be stiff enough for body weight/size
4. I tend to ride blues/blacks rather fast, no park, occasional powder/backcountry, occasional small bumps/kickers, starting to try more moguls.
5. Looking at Venture Zephyr, Ride Yukon, not sure about others?
6. How does stiffness effect rider weight and vice versa?
7. Are binding straps universal? Where can I get replacement/better ones?


Thanks! And please provide any general comments too :) I tried to include what was necessary based on the sticky...let me know if you need more information from me!

Jenzo 01-03-2009 05:29 PM

Stiffer the board the shorter you can get away with, when someone rides a board too small for their weight it basically makes the board a lot more flexible, for instace on my tiny park board whn my fat ass rides it, its like a chattering noodle and hard to hold carves, it'll go whump whump whump, and feel squirrly at high speed. However I can certainly ride it on pretty much anything, and turning it is super quick compared to my stiffer flex longer board.
So I guess theres a banalnce there do you want only high speed big mountain carver or something in the middle? Then you can cheat and get a really stiff board in a shorter length.
Anyways most companies have weight charts for their boards.

Quote:

What I have noticed on my current board though, is that trying to hold a turn/edge when the terrain is choppy, is becoming difficult- and I don't know if that's just a function of the terrain, or if that is indicative of the board itself?
Could be the board, maybe its a flxier board, or you could be too heavy for it, because thats what happns when you ride a too flexy board on gnarly terrain.

Edvard_Grieg 01-03-2009 05:33 PM

Thanks man, any thoughts on the Venture Zephyr or Ride Yukon? Any other wide/stiff boards that I should look at?

Jenzo 01-03-2009 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edvard_Grieg (Post 104469)
Thanks man, any thoughts on the Venture Zephyr or Ride Yukon? Any other wide/stiff boards that I should look at?

I haven't ridden em, but I know the Yukon is pretty stiff from reviews. Also consider Never Summer Titan TX and Legacy-R. My SL-R is a freakin' tank, can imagine the stiffer models are even better for heavier riders.

You can pretty much tell if you go into a shop by handling it and bending the board if its considerably stiffer then your current ride.

legallyillegal 01-04-2009 08:53 AM

Rossi Jeremy Jones 170+?

Incogneato 01-04-2009 11:21 AM

please get a never summer, they are probably the only boards built that can take the abuse from a guy as large as you, i am about 225 and break boards regularily but i don't ride super stiff boards and do a lot of jumping. never summers have a lot of glass in them which is what makes them heavier than average and damp, both of these qualities will help make the board last for you, but unfortunately people of your stature are generally not considered when building boards, we only calculate up to about 245 or so when we do the durabillity calculations

Incogneato 01-04-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenzo (Post 104473)
I haven't ridden em, but I know the Yukon is pretty stiff from reviews. Also consider Never Summer Titan TX and Legacy-R. My SL-R is a freakin' tank, can imagine the stiffer models are even better for heavier riders.

You can pretty much tell if you go into a shop by handling it and bending the board if its considerably stiffer then your current ride.

i don't think anyone seriously thinks that you can get an accurate feel for board stiffness by handflexing it, do they?

Jenzo 01-04-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Incogneato (Post 104683)
i don't think anyone seriously thinks that you can get an accurate feel for board stiffness by handflexing it, do they?

Um, yes you can, do you actually snowboard? If his board really is a weak noodle (like the guy in the shop said by "feeling it") you can tell right away compared to a well built board... if you think you can't tell the difference between a Never Summer and a noodle board by handling it, maybe you should do a few more demo days :p

Zee 01-04-2009 07:09 PM

Venture is one hell of a board, I have spoken to a few guys that have them ,and they all say good things about it.

Also consider a Salomon Burner.

You can't go wrong with Never Summer.

Edvard_Grieg 01-06-2009 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenzo (Post 104717)
Um, yes you can, do you actually snowboard? If his board really is a weak noodle (like the guy in the shop said by "feeling it") you can tell right away compared to a well built board... if you think you can't tell the difference between a Never Summer and a noodle board by handling it, maybe you should do a few more demo days :p

Thanks man- the guy didn't really describe it as a noodle- just more of a powder/backcountry board (which it probably is) that is more well suited for a lighter rider.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zee (Post 104839)
Venture is one hell of a board, I have spoken to a few guys that have them ,and they all say good things about it.

Also consider a Salomon Burner.

You can't go wrong with Never Summer.

I'm glad to hear some personal thoughts on Venture.

Now with regards to Never Summer...my understanding was that they used to be local (Colorado), and now they're made in China? Is that right, or am I smoking something? Does it matter even? Do you think their boards would be wide enough?


Finally- any thoughts on the binding straps?

Thanks!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2