Base question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2009, 03:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
turbo2ltr

Default Base question

Hello all..

I purchased a Ride Fleetwood used a few seasons ago. It was nearly new, he said he used it once. I don't get out much, the board has been used maybe 3-4 times. I've been reading and watching videos on waxing that a user made here and found them good. But I'm just curious at some basics so everything I learned falls into place.

My board currently has tiny grooves in the base. Is this what they call "sintered" or "structured"? I don't know if what I'm looking at is the base, or the wax?

(see Image 1)

Do those grooves stay there after scraping (before waxing)?

Also, in one of the videos I watched, they talked about the base being "dry"..

Is this haze that I see what they are talking about?
(see Image 2)

You can see in the pic, if I scrape it with my fingernail, it goes away, but I'm not actually scraping anything off. Like there isnt anything on my fingernail. Is there any wax left on the board?

A friend of mine invited me over to put some Swix F4 paste type wax on the board before we go out tomorrow. Is this type of wax even worth it?

Thanks!!

-mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2009, 06:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Na Fleetwood has an extruded base, Once you start spreading wax you'll see right away what they mean by "dry" You'll be able to see the spots you've missed. It's really not hard to wax, spread on wax, let it cool, scrape it off and buff. Unless youre a slalom or Boarder X racer there really isn't much to it. I'd say don't put any rub on the bottom not worth the effort... leave it for the x country skiiers. The most important thing is get the right temp, just get all temp wax if you're not sure.
Jenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

those grooves are called the structure of the base, its there to help you glide in wetter snow, unless you use a brush after you scrape they will be filled in with wax, but the wax that in the grooves and not scraped off (because the scraper can't get in there) will fall out as the board is used

the point of waxing is to get wax IN the base, not on it, extruded boards don't absorb wax as well as sintered but you should still wax them
Incogneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
turbo2ltr

Thanks for the info!!
Old 01-08-2009, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Gustov

the "haze" you're seeing is one of the first signs of needing to wax your board. that always happens.