Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Need Help Selecting Some New Bindings (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/11019-need-help-selecting-some-new-bindings.html)

prospero 01-03-2009 06:26 PM

Need Help Selecting Some New Bindings

Current Setup:
  • Ride Fleetwood 161 (wide)
  • Vans BFB Size 11
  • Ride LX bindings (XL)

My binding toestraps are coming undone after about 20 days or so of snowboarding. I've advanced pretty quick in those 20 days, I can do blacks fine, go through trees fine, I can now jump no problem, no problem in powder, and get down the hill switchfoot, not gracefully, but what I'm trying to say is I'm ready for the next level.

I think the Ride LX just weren't ever configured right as the toe strap needed adjustment but I couldn't get it any tighter because it lacked adjustment on one side. My boots are size 11, but are a bit wider of a boot, hence why the CSR sized my binding as an XL

I am typically and all-mountain freeride rider, but like jumps and tricks, but don't spend much (if any) time in the park. Hence why I have a powder board. I am 5'11" and about 190lb.

I'm currently looking at everything from 2009 Ride EX/RX or Flow NXT-AT's but open to other brands, I just don't know much about them. I want something in the middle of the road, not too stiff, not too soft.

Looking at:
  • Forum Republic
  • Ride EX
  • Ride RX
  • Flow NXT-AT
  • Union Force

What are your gear recommendations?

Thanks, sorry for so many words.

Lad 01-03-2009 06:53 PM

I'd go for the Flow if i were you.. I just ordered some nxt frx and I cant fking wait for them to arrive.. Ive seen someone with those today and it freaking rocks my short strap ones..

and the new models fits better now i heard, but just think about all the time you'll save getting in those bindings.

cant... wait.. for mines to arrive..

Jenzo 01-03-2009 06:56 PM

Check out the K2 Auto, they kick major arse

steve_ri 01-03-2009 06:59 PM

FLOW !!! super responsive, super convient, not to bad with the priice either

prospero 01-03-2009 11:17 PM

Just not sure I can justify the extra $80 over the Forum Republics

lowest price i've found:
Forum Republics - $160
Flow NXT AT - $244

Jenzo 01-03-2009 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prospero (Post 104581)
Just not sure I can justify the extra $80 over the Forum Republics

lowest price i've found:
Forum Republics - $160
Flow NXT AT - $244

Not worth it IMO, yea you save a whole 5 seconds at the top of the lift, but whoever you're riding with probably won't have flows so you'll be waiting anyways. Also, (I personally) found them harder to get out of then regular straps, and they suck to put on on a hill esp. in pow :p

Extremo 01-04-2009 04:35 AM

Union Force or Data.

I wear the BFB and the Union fit perfectly. I like the Forum Arena as well, and hear the republic fit similarly, but they're a little heavier than the Union.

legallyillegal 01-04-2009 07:32 AM

Autos are too soft for freeride, Auto Evers are stiffer.

prospero 01-05-2009 12:23 PM

Thanks for all the comments. I'm still stumped.

I'm down to the following 3:

* Forum Republic
* Union Force
* Flow NXT-AT

I like the lifetime-warranty Union has and they seem to be a popular binding as well. I guess my biggest question is how stiff are union forces?

I know the forum republics and NXT-AT are both all-mountain bindings, and the replubics are 7/10 in terms of stiffness. I think I like the Union Force the best, but I just don't want too soft/flexy bindings.

TIA.

Extremo 01-05-2009 03:27 PM

The Union data are the same as the Union Force but a little stiffer. But the Force are pretty solid. They're stiff front to back and a little softer at the top if the high back for lateral flex. The Data high back are a little stiffer at the top.