Heya guys, need help for a freestyle board :) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Heya guys, need help for a freestyle board :)

Yoyoyo snowfans!
So, I am currently riding Kink Ride 2011/2012 snowboard, and Im looking to replace it for another freestyle board.

My first 3 picks were:
- Lib Skate Banana (but a bit pricey)
- K2 WWW (similar to my current Kink)
- GNU Carbon Credit (cheep banana)

Because I am buying my snowboard at the end of this season, when they get cheep, I didnt need to chose between them.

BUT, a problem appeared when I saw the new Ride Slackcountry!!!!
Now, I know that pro boarders are laughing at me right now, cause this is a freeride board, but my specs will clarify everything.

I'm
Hight 6'6'' (198cm)
Weight 254lbs (115kg)
Boots US 15 (EU 49.5 )

So, would Slackcountry 162wide (insane width), be a great freestyle board for tall people, or do I just need to suck it up, and keep riding 159w boards.

Hope to get some good pointers, especially an answer from someone who rides Slackcountry

Last edited by Djolencee; 12-09-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Djolencee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

when you say freestyle, you mean like jumps, rails, backcountry features, etc...
Reptars69ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptars69ing View Post
when you say freestyle, you mean like jumps, rails, backcountry features, etc...
Ok, so primarily, I need a board for ground tricks, but it also needs to be stable in speed, so that I could ride it well, and go on big jumps, and 159 kink is just a bit too small for the second part...

I tried skate banana, and it is insanely good, but now, with this slackcountry, my head is all messed up with that to buy
Djolencee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have a slack. I'm very small compared to you and arguably too small for the deck, I clock in at ~155 lbs and 6 feet even. But I love to over stable decks so I ride a 161, couldn't say if its wide or not, my foot size warrants use of either. I dug it out of the clearance rack so I couldn't complain either way, it was a steal.

Here's the rundown, while the deck has a similar profile to your average park deck, the slack is very stiff. I find it extremely hard to butter because when you load up it either wants you to ollie it or it pushes you back to the ground. I doubt that would be too much an issue since you're bigger and probably a fair bit better at ground tricks than I am. But don't go buying it thinking its going to be a playful deck. Naturally since its stiff and has a flat base its very stable at speed but since the tips are rockered it tends to feel a bit surfy. It wont lock in on landings and tends to have shoddy edge hold unless you really focus on keeping your weight centered. Lastly, the flex is stiffer in the back than it is up front, its tends to make ollies easier off the back foot but harder on the front, and vice versa for butters. Wouldn't say it were a bad idea to buy it for freestyle with big air on the side, since the deck is more favorable to big air jumps than your typical park deck, but you will have a bit of trouble with the more freestyle oriented riding you do.

Last edited by Eat Sleep Shred; 12-11-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Eat Sleep Shred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gnu, lib tech, ride, ride slackcountry, snowboard