Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Is my SHERLOCK Defective??? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/110345-my-sherlock-defective.html)

J-Dizzle 12-09-2013 03:53 PM

Is my SHERLOCK Defective???

I just got a new 2012 Burton Sherlock off Ebay. When I lie it on the carpet, it definitely has a hybrid camber shape, but its got a LOT of rocker. The nose and tail won't touch ground at same time.

By comparison, a friend's Custom Flying V has the same hybrid camber, but is overall flatter. Nose and tail do touch ground at same time.

Both are called "flying V" by Burton.

Is the Sherlock defective?

Fergatron2000 12-09-2013 04:03 PM

I picked up the same board cheap last year and had the exact opposite observation/question. I sent in pics to Burton and they said there is a variable amount of center rocker in the Sherlock (or flying V in general). Mine was super mellow; probably more like your CustomFV.

Obviously most of that will compress under weight when you stand on it and probably continue to mellow out as you break it in. I think Burton was doing there pre-flex break in process that year as well. Possibly some get more treatment than others.

Rad board on powder days.

Nivek 12-09-2013 04:25 PM

Pictures.

With your hand put one tip on the ground and get me a photo of the total rocker.

J-Dizzle 12-09-2013 04:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nivek (Post 1323673)
Pictures.

With your hand put one tip on the ground and get me a photo of the total rocker.

Here are pix of the two with a AA battery for comparison.

Fergatron2000 12-10-2013 01:44 PM

Ah... now that I see your pic I realized mine is a 2013 Sherlock. But I have seen that much center reverse on some 2013 models too.

What size is yours BTW???

super-rad 12-10-2013 02:17 PM

My Process Flying-V has that much rocker. I don't think its anything to be worried about

Nivek 12-10-2013 02:34 PM

It is rideable and you probably won't really feel the difference. Besides, even if that was a touch too much rocker, no one will warranty that.

Lamps 12-10-2013 02:49 PM

I have a 2011 Sherlock and its got that much rocker. That's the way it is made. The custom flying v has less rocker than the Sherlock.

This makes the Sherlock ride better in soft snow/powder, nice and surfy due to all that rocker. I really like mine on those days.

It also means than when you are riding a long flat cat track or traverse where the snow is really packed down hard the Sherlock sits up on that rockered center, and is sort of like trying to stand on a bowling ball, only a lot tippier.

So the first time you get your Sherlock on some flat hard snow you will think that it is trying to kill you, be prepared for this sensation, that is basically what's happening. Your Sherlock wants to go back to the whistler backcountry where it was born and ride golden powder all day long.

After a while you'll get the hang of riding it on flat hard pack, stay on your edges, don't flat base, and so on, and after a couple good snowy days the threat of death on cat tracks will be worth it for the fun in soft snow.

J-Dizzle 12-10-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamps (Post 1327337)
I have a 2011 Sherlock and its got that much rocker. That's the way it is made. The custom flying v has less rocker than the Sherlock.

This makes the Sherlock ride better in soft snow/powder, nice and surfy due to all that rocker. I really like mine on those days.

It also means than when you are riding a long flat cat track or traverse where the snow is really packed down hard the Sherlock sits up on that rockered center, and is sort of like trying to stand on a bowling ball, only a lot tippier.

So the first time you get your Sherlock on some flat hard snow you will think that it is trying to kill you, be prepared for this sensation, that is basically what's happening. Your Sherlock wants to go back to the whistler backcountry where it was born and ride golden powder all day long.

After a while you'll get the hang of riding it on flat hard pack, stay on your edges, don't flat base, and so on, and after a couple good snowy days the threat of death on cat tracks will be worth it for the fun in soft snow.

Perfect explanation, thanks. I found a rented sherlock much easier to maneuver on a narrow mountain road than the Custom FV that I had been riding. I thought it was because I was on a shorter deck, but now I guess it was the more pronounced rocker.

ThanksĄ