help on new board to replace my 13 year old Airwalk :) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2013, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default help on new board to replace my 13 year old Airwalk :)

Hello All,
I'm a female rider (5' 6", 140lbs) looking for a new snowboard to replace my 2000 Airwalk snowboard I was gifted in college 13 years ago. I would consider myself a beginner to intermediate rider but I lack confidence. I want a board that will allow me to get more comfortable carving and overall stability & skills. I stick with groomed trails, hate moguls and prefer blue runs. Some days I enjoy the speed and feel confident with my turning. At the end of the day, when my muscles are tired I panic and freeze up (and basically face forward the rest of the way down the mountain). After sometimes 3 year gaps between snowboarding I finally have a season pass and I'd really like to become a better snowboarder. I will be looking over the tips & techniques section but I'm hoping for some insight on a board that will fit my style. Just to clarify, I have zero desire for tricks, jumps or cutting through trees. I just want to become a better boarder on groomed trails or some powder, with the option of going a little faster as I improve. I'd also appreciate any input on length as well. Thanks in advance!
Chatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2013, 11:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You will get advice soon enough but I highly suggest a lesson?

As for the board, what is your budget and where do you ride? That will help a lot. Others will chime in with specific suggestions but I will add I like Arbor's rocker for a more relaxed riding. It's full rocker so it'll catch less edges then a board with camber in it but it's also good enough to carve and go relatively fast. I just wouldn't recommend it if all you ride is ice.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

For your weight range I would look for a board somewhere in the 151-152. Shorter the board the easier to carve but less stable vs the longer you go vice versa.
triumph.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback. I probably made myself sound worse than I am. We went to keystone this past Sunday and it was the first time in three years. Three of the six runs were beautiful. But I was tired by the end and then became more timid. I would love to feel more confident. I am hoping a board that is better fitted will make a huge difference. I'm on a men's 155 right now. Not ideal, I know.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

One place to start looking. Arbor Cadence or Poparazzi (Poparrazi is slightly stiffer).
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'll be riding at Keystone & Abasin. I'll check out the two boards you suggested. Thanks