Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   new guy needs a board & gear advice (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/110505-new-guy-needs-board-gear-advice.html)

insan3guy 12-10-2013 03:56 AM

new guy needs a board & gear advice

Hi. I just moved to the seattle area a few months ago, and I'm going to be here until may, so I figured that I should enjoy myself while I can before shipping to basic. I've been dabbling in snowboarding for the last two years or so but I've never had the funds to dedicate to a whole season of it.
I have a board, bindings and boots, but it's my brother's old board and it doesn't look like it would survive the winter. (it's a Mantle, if it matters)
I'm 135lbs, but I'm trying to gain 10 or 20 pounds during the winter.
Foot size is 11US/27cm/10.75" (I have a pair of men's burton progression boots, size 12)
If all goes well, I'll be getting a season pass to snoqualmie, so that's where I'll be riding mostly. I don't think I like the idea of going into the park quite yet, but I might at some point. Probably just use some craigslist board to beat on if I do.
Budget for a new board is between $200 and $300

I have absolutely no idea where to even start when it comes to buying a board, or gear for that matter. I have basic stuff (goggles, some gloves I got for cheap, and a waterproof motorcycle jacket that does pretty well in the cold and wind) but I feel like I'd be happier with some more purpose-built things.

tradnwaves4snow 12-10-2013 04:16 AM

good luck man. boots will not be perfect for you but hey if your budget is small and you have them at least give them a shot. as far as jacket goes. if its waterproof and warm it will do for now, im sure you'll upgrade soon enough. most important thing is to be dry and warm or youre gonna have a bad time so maybe consider getting some decent pants and gloves, they will make a huge difference to your comfort level. as for board check out craigslist you should be able to get some sweet deals being so close to all the big mountains around seattle. probably one of the best spots to be, big canadian mountains close by too. from your weight description and shoe size id say your probably a taller thinner guy right? im just over 6 feet large size 11 shoe, about 190lbs and i ride a 157. but board size is dependant on weight, type of riding, type of board, shoe size, personal preference. so way too many factors to tell you a specific size but 154-161 is a decent ball park. there are many types of board profile aswell.

check out http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...g-between.html to see what you think you might like

also check out http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...ease-read.html for gear etc.

insan3guy 12-10-2013 04:31 AM

Ok. I actually forgot to mention that I have 2 pairs of snowboarding pants, so that's covered. I'm 6'1" at the moment.
I read the stickies about what I should include in a help post and did it as best as I could, but I'm still a little bit lost... There's a butt-ton of different brands and I have no idea which ones are better than others. Are there any I should avoid? Also, at my skill level (whatever's a half notch above beginner) will I notice a difference in most brands/types? (besides board shape) If not, I can definitely find something on craigslist. There's also a military base nearby, so plenty of marines, sailors, etc. getting rid of their stuff.

Also, about the boots- they fit pretty snugly when they're all laced up; they don't move hardly at all in relation to my lower leg (I think that's the end goal). I'll just have to see what happens with them, but at the end of the day... they were $12 at a yard sale, so it won't be a huge loss if I replaced them.

tradnwaves4snow 12-10-2013 05:47 AM

i just did a quick search on CL for you. heres a few i found that are decent and within your price range.

CAPITA HORRORSCOPE FK AND UNION FORCE BINDINGS
last years union force, really solid binding. board looks to be in good condition too, another solid brand with newer tech than most the other shit on CL.

Lib Tech Snowboard
bit cheaper, also another really good setup

Burton Custom 156 Snowboard w/new Cartel Bindings
more expensive at the top of your price range. looks close to brand new. new bindings too apparently.

162 cm Lib Tech snowboard, Burton bindings and boots
really good all round board again. you'll see lots of ppl recommend the TRS as an all round entry level board you can advance on. this one comes with some boots too.

call a few people, search around the local area. as i said youre at a great location for finding gear there will be alot of really good stuff around. also check out sales of last years stuff too etc.
good luck bro.

orange_shred 12-10-2013 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insan3guy (Post 1325505)
There's a butt-ton of different brands and I have no idea which ones are better than others. Are there any I should avoid?

For a beginner it doesn't matter a whole lot. Rome, Capita, GNU, Lib Tech, Ride, Forum, Burton, Volcom, DC, and a bunch of others all make good boards.
Probably try to avoid LTD, Lamar, and Alibi - they mostly make cheap beginner boards that you won't want once you start to get better.

Quote:

Also, at my skill level (whatever's a half notch above beginner) will I notice a difference in most brands/types? (besides board shape)

Nope. Other than Camber vs Rocker vs combinations of the two

Quote:

Also, about the boots- they fit pretty snugly when they're all laced up; they don't move hardly at all in relation to my lower leg (I think that's the end goal).

If it feels good then you're set. But not if they look bad, if they look bad then everybody else will judge you and you wont make any friends. :dunno:

+1 Craigslist, used gear FTW! Way cheaper and still good quality (most of the time).

insan3guy 12-10-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange_shred (Post 1328273)
+1 Craigslist, used gear FTW! Way cheaper and still good quality (most of the time).

Especially those morons who buy a complete set of gear and decide that snowboarding is hard after the first day. More for us :p

lolevolol 12-10-2013 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insan3guy (Post 1328409)
Especially those morons who buy a complete set of gear and decide that snowboarding is hard after the first day. More for us :p

Thats how I got my gear!