Should I go with wide board or regular - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 07:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I go with wide board or regular

Hello,

I am about to purchase new setup and I want to make it right.

My target is NS SL 2014. Size 158 or close to that. My boot size is 11.5 I will go with L/XL atlas 2014 bindings and burton shoes (hope they fit atlases) but they perfectly fit my foot. I ride -12/+15 deg.

Should I go with regular SL or it better to go for legacy?

thanks in advance
lukasls is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

From my own experience I would say you'll regret the wide. Last year I bought a wide attack banana, and 1.4cm made a big difference. So this year I went with the proto and went normal width. I have a 11.5 salmon malamute with with union contact pro 18,-15 and have no issues with drag whatsoever.
ridinbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think most people here would probably say that you don't need a wide. See rideinbend's reply.
trapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbend View Post
From my own experience I would say you'll regret the wide. Last year I bought a wide attack banana, and 1.4cm made a big difference. So this year I went with the proto and went normal width. I have a 11.5 salmon malamute with with union contact pro 18,-15 and have no issues with drag whatsoever.
+1, what he said. Unless the OP is planning to do something pretty extreme, he should be perfectly fine with 11.5 low profile Burton boots on a regular SL - especially at those stance angles.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for all Your comments Guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
+1, what he said. Unless the OP is planning to do something pretty extreme, he should be perfectly fine with 11.5 low profile Burton boots on a regular SL - especially at those stance angles.
I went to the store and checked on SL and 11.5 ambush boots. Its at the edge of looking risky. Guy in the store explained me that on the flat surface and in the powder I should be fine but when carving then there might be a risk. So to be sure what to do, I decided to go with 12 size boots because of the comfort and then I took eventually proto hdx 158 so we will see. Will definately spend some time on riding demos this year to check on difference. I am going down from stiff setup and big board lib c-2 dark series 164 so seller also mentioned that for me it wont be that much noticable.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

SL for sure. Especially with that stance.
Mystery2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasls View Post
Thanks for all Your comments Guys!

I went to the store and checked on SL and 11.5 ambush boots. Its at the edge of looking risky. Guy in the store explained me that on the flat surface and in the powder I should be fine but when carving then there might be a risk. So to be sure what to do, I decided to go with 12 size boots because of the comfort and then I took eventually proto hdx 158 so we will see. Will definately spend some time on riding demos this year to check on difference. I am going down from stiff setup and big board lib c-2 dark series 164 so seller also mentioned that for me it wont be that much noticable.
Boots pack out. You will regret going up half a size if you don't truly need it. I rode a 157 proto with size 11 burton ions with no drag on deep carves. You will be fine with another few mm on the 11.5.
BigmountainVMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigmountainVMD View Post
Boots pack out. You will regret going up half a size if you don't truly need it. I rode a 157 proto with size 11 burton ions with no drag on deep carves. You will be fine with another few mm on the 11.5.
I am after 2 trips and 10 days on slopes with PROTO HDX plus Atlas L/XL and ambush 12. Need to give back respect BigmountainVMD. You were right with the boot size. Although for the total lenght they are perfect and more comfy, my heel is loosen too much and I cant have that response I had before. I stilll have 11.5 IONs, I tried them swapping and they are much better. So mistake made, lessons learnt .

For the wider board, I could not notice much but again I would need to try regular swapping same day to feel if there is any difference.

What I am afraid right now is if I go with regular board will my L/XL atlas bindings fit it as they are almost perfect fit with +/-18' on wider board (not much space towards the edge of the board on both sides)

Second thing if anyone tried 11.5 boot with M/L size NS bindings? Does the boot fit, can I adjust the binding to get right setup of straps?
Old 01-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Go with the wide for 2 reasons.

1) yes you will have toe drag on deep carves. I have toe drag occasionally on deep carves with a 9.5 on a mid-wide (25.5cm)

2) a L/XL base plate will hang off a reg width board. You'll get some drag from that alone in deeper snow.

A wide board doesn't ride much different than a reg width board, it give you more surface area, which has multiple benefits in itself (which is why I prefer mid-wide's).

Some people are going to bitch about how wides are slower edge-to-edge, but the leverage of how high your footbed sits above your base, and the boards side-cut and camber profile, will determine your edge-to-edge transfer far more than the .5-1cm difference of board width ever will.

There's no reason to ride a reg width board with an 11.5 boot.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote